Montana, Big Sky Country.

Exile

Hail to all! I've started this Thread Topic for kite fliers in Montana. If there are any fliers out there who know of good places to fly in the state of Montana, please post here.

It would be nice to organize some meets, and with Great Falls being one of the windiest cities in the country, there is no reason for people NOT to come and fly in Big Sky Country.

Look forward to meeting fellow fliers!!

Currently, I don't know of any other kite fliers in Montana. I've been told that there are a few Power Kite fliers around, but I have yet to be able to make contact with any of them to see if the do any other sort of flying. I've only once ever seen a stunt kite in the sky, other than my own. If there are any fliers out there that live in Montana, or plan on driving through Montana, Please!!! Please let me know, I've been out of the kite community for a great many years now, and it would be nice to meet up and fly with people once again. I look forward to hearing from anyone out there.

Sadly, Driving to Boise ID is almost like driving out to Portland OR, and if I'm going to spend that much time on the road, I'd much rather spend the little extra, and go all the way to Portland. Thats why I'm trying to find fliers/members IN Montana. Thanks much for the heads up though!

Howdy Exile & Welcome, I feel your pain, as I rarely have anyone to fly with, either. blue_biggrin.gif

See Post #14 > http://kitelife.com/...dpost__p__26039

Thank you for the welcome! Greatly appreciated. It's good to know people still reach out to others, especially in a community I haven't been apart of for so long. I thought there would have been and "Introduce yourself" section in the forum. Ah-well. Nice to make your acquaintance!

Your Link didn't work though..

I'm on a lot of forums with "introduce yourself" sections. After a while they get boring. (Most introductions boil down to "Hi. I'm me," with maybe an interest or location indicated. There are exceptions, but they are rare.)

Much better to make your first post(s) in a topic where you do have an interest and do have something to say. That really says who you are.

The downside is that this may result in a lot of "lurking", where people read the forum, but never (or only after a long time) actually post.

So, welcome to the Rev forum, Exile.

Not quite sure why Nick's link didn't work. Did you click on it, or copy-and-paste it? (Within a post, the link may be shortened, but clicking on it - or right-clicking and choosing Open in a New Tab/Window, if you don't want to lose your place in this forum - should work.)

BTW, if you haven't checked out Kitelife.com (just looked - you have - never mind)...

============

Special message to Lurkers: pick a topic, or a thread within a topic, and POST A REPLY! You really are welcome - here, and on any other forum where you may be lurking.

Most forums show something to indicate how long a poster has been a member and/or how many posts they have made. Other readers will know you are a newbie to the forum, and if you happen to ask a question that most readers already know, they will be able to see that you are new and will answer your question, or respond to your post with that in mind. No one wants you to leave; the more active people, the better it is for the forum and its readers.

• Like 1

Yeah.. I did ultimately get the link to work, but just clicking on it gave me a 404 page not found error. Good point, and you are right about the intro thread. So I can understand why they don't have one here. I was just trying to find people in Montana, and thats normally a quick and easy way to find people. Trying to find a thread to talk in, can be hard, because most often, someone else has already stated what I want to say, and theres no point in repeating it. But then I'm used to forums with snottier people I guess. So I myself tend to be a lurker.

Thank you for the welcome. LOL, Yeah, I've found KiteLife from Johns posts. I'm a member there as well. Figured if the more places I go, the more likely I am to find someone close to me.

Unless you guys wanna come visit here! LOL!

... But then I'm used to forums with snottier people I guess. ...

I've run across a few of those; also forums where people are thoughtlessly cruel to each other and to strangers. It doesn't take me long to bail out of those places. I generally go back and delete all my posts if possible; if deletions are impossible, I edit them to blanks. (I don't like to be associated with places like that.)

I have to say, I am thinking of adding politics, both external (public) and internal (to the forum), to my list of reasons to leave a forum. My mother always used to say, "For a successful party, No Politics, and No Religion." I suspect that it may also be true for forums.

Aye, such destructive interaction simply isn't tolerated here on the public forums, or on Kitelife.

Kites, wind, good times, camaraderie, learning, that's what it's all about. ;)

No Statler and Waldorf allowed, unless it's in good fun.

Good to know. I've been peeved a few times when I've asked a question, and some Smart *** calls me a noob, and tells me to search the forum for the answer.. Sorry! Reading disability here! Trying read through dozens of thread, hundreds of posts, possibly 1000s, would take me a month to find what I'm looking for. If I ever found it. Or there are these cocky little tweens/young teens, that when ever you ask something treat you like your stupid, and only have to say "thats easy to do." The guys that try to instigate confrontation, drive me up a wall.

So it's nice to know that it's not going to happen here. Good to find a place that I still might not exactly fit into, but at least know that I'll be accepted.

Yeah, that cold "use the search n00b" line doesn't fly here... We may suggest a search sometimes if it's a broad topic, but more often than not, we actually post the appropriate search link, a direct reference link, or answer the question outright (again and again).

This is the friendliest forum bunch in the kiting community, imho.

• 2 years later...

Greetings,

Well I may be a couple of years late on this reply, but heck, I'm a new member of this forum.

Exile, if you are still around, I'm in Whitefish, MT and a new/ old rev owner and a new rev flyer. I've been flying 2 line kites for a long time, but usually only when I can find time to get to Lincoln City, OR, or to Long Beach, WA. In case you are unaware, Whitefish is the worst place in the world to live if you fly kites...no wind!

Any way, I was lucky enough to meet a really cool young lady at this year's International Kite Festival in Long Beach who happens to be a major player at Revolution Kites by the name of Lolly. After being amazed by the old, and I do mean old Rev II kite I bought about 18 to 20 years ago that has never been flown, she helped me get into a 1.5 rev that is designed for very light wind areas. Guess what? It flies so beautifully even for me! Now I'm hooked on flying Revs!!

If you are still around Exile, or if there are any other kite flyers, especially Rev flyers around either in Mt, Northern ID or the Spokane WA area, I would love to hear from you and maybe set up a time to go fly together. I think that would be fantastic!!!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

• Like 2

Hi Rick, I got Bart's message. Yes, I'm in Spokane and would love to fly any time!! Whitefish is no hop,skip and a jump from Spokane!! If you find youself comming to Spokane some weekend, let me know. Bring the wind and we'll fly!! I've got a bunch of Revs and am always looking for people to fly with. Are you going to the Lincoln City festival in October?? I think I'm going. Too bad we didn't meet at WSIKF.. Mark

• Like 1

Bartman,

Thanks so much for the information and the help. I can see already that this is a very user friendly forum and the folks here really care about their sport/hobby!

Mark,

Thanks for answering back. I actually either get to or through Spokane several times a year. Not as much as in the past before I retired from the railroad, but still love coming to Spokane. I will get in touch with you the next time we get over to the big city. The only problem I might have is bringing the wind. That is a very rare thing around Whitefish, so I'll let you figure out how to start the Spokane wind blowing.

Actually my wife and I are already missing Lincoln City and we just got home from there as well as from Long Beach. There is a pretty good chance that we may be heading back to LC for their fall festival and maybe spend a couple of days at Seaside for the AKA conference as well. It will depend on getting the trip expensed in our now limited budget. I'll let you know if we are heading that direction, just in case you are going as well.

I agree that it would have been great to meet at WSIKF, but I was kind of low keyed there, mostly watching the demos and competitions, just to get kind of caught up with today's kiting. After being away from kiting and the WSIKF for the past 5-6 years, I felt like a total novice again. What's funny is now that I have a REV I can actually fly, I really am a novice again, but I've never been so excited about flying a kite as I am in flying the REV. My goal is to learn enough between now and next August to be able to compete as a beginner at the festival....now all I need is some darned wind!!!

Again, thanks for the shoutout and I do look forward to meeting and flying with you in the near future!

Rick

• Like 1

Thanks Wayne!

I was fortunate to spend some time with Penny the young lady who is an awesome indoor REV flyer the last morning of the WSIKF and after getting me somewhat oriented on how to fly my new REV, she suggested that I wander down to the REV field to get some help. But that was just before IQUAD did their last performance/demonstration and I wasn't about to miss that. Those young people are awesome!!!! I'm really sad that they are taking a break from team flying for hopefully only a short while.

By the time they were done, basically the festival was over and the fields became free fly zones, so I just set up the new REV and got the feel of how it flies and how to get some control over it. I never did make it to the REV field, but that will change from here on out. I'm hungry, thirsty and eager for knowledge. I really want to know how to fly the REV and become a part of it's beauty.

If I get to Lincoln City, I'll be looking for that blue hat for sure Wayne. I've been interested in your knowledge here on the forum and always pay attention to what you have written. It's good stuff I believe.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

• Like 1

If you were down on the big kite end of the fields, you would have seen the last of us flying down on field "B"! We ended up with 3-4 of us as the wind died!! I pulled out my Zen for dealing with the dying winds! My friend Katrina had her "alien" kite out, made of reflective material with a long tail! Sari also used her Zen! We were the last on the field, that I know of! Wound up just before dark!

Hope to see you at LC!!

Greetings, Well I may be a couple of years late on this reply, but heck, I'm a new member of this forum. Exile, if you are still around, I'm in Whitefish, MT and a new/ old rev owner and a new rev flyer. I've been flying 2 line kites for a long time, but usually only when I can find time to get to Lincoln City, OR, or to Long Beach, WA. In case you are unaware, Whitefish is the worst place in the world to live if you fly kites...no wind! Any way, I was lucky enough to meet a really cool young lady at this year's International Kite Festival in Long Beach who happens to be a major player at Revolution Kites by the name of Lolly. After being amazed by the old, and I do mean old Rev II kite I bought about 18 to 20 years ago that has never been flown, she helped me get into a 1.5 rev that is designed for very light wind areas. Guess what? It flies so beautifully even for me! Now I'm hooked on flying Revs!! If you are still around Exile, or if there are any other kite flyers, especially Rev flyers around either in Mt, Northern ID or the Spokane WA area, I would love to hear from you and maybe set up a time to go fly together. I think that would be fantastic!!! Rick (mtgrizzly52)

Yes! I remember you! Glad you found the forum and posted. Yes, lots of great people in the Rev family! Hope you can make it to the LC Fall Festival!

Hi Theresa,

I just wanted to thank you for trying to help me while taking care of business at the same time. Matching me up with Penny was a great deal for me to get my lines measured and in getting that sweet new REV up in the air. That girl can sure make a kite dance *smiles* It's looking more and more positive about coming out to Lincoln City as my wife is really getting into the idea of going back to one of our most favorite places in the world.

In the meantime, I will probably getting a set of short lines from you for the REV so I can have a better chance of flying that new kite in windless part of the Northwest I live in.

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

• Like 2