Got Rev Fever!

Elix

Question

Greetings Darksiders

I believe this is my first post, so let me start off introducing myself. My name is Chris, I'm a 30-something that loves working on computers and riding sport-bikes. Spent 3 years overseas in the Army, stationed in Germany. We deployed once to Bosnia, and once to Albania. I've flown R/C airplanes for years, I'm a licensed commercial/IFR pilot. And I live in southern Indiana, which is horribly in-land with fickle winds. I got quad-fever about 3 months ago when I learned 2 lines wasn't "all there was" when it came to acrobatic kiting. However with a new baby in the house and another on the way, there is hardly room for anything unpractical in my life these days. I eventually managed to sweet-talk the wife into letting me pick up a cheap quad-kite to see if it was something I would stick with.

Over the past month I picked up the basics as well as confirmed I do indeed love the 4 strings. But, I got what I paid for. As I watch non-stop videos in my spare time of JB doing his thing, and many of you doing yours as well, the realization is sinking in. I know what Revs can do and the kite I have just isn't going to get me there. So yes, I've got full blown Rev fever and you all know the solution. It would tickle me to death to whip out a credit card and fire off a mid-vent, race frame, B Pro, and shoot - toss a Zen on there for the summer doldrums, but that just can't happen right now.

I want to take a step sideways from my little story and thank all of you. I'm sure you all are familiar with the Internet. It's frequently an ugly place. I spend a lot of time online (part of my job) and forums just aren't this civil very often. They are rarely this helpful. The sharing here flows freely and strong. And the community strength seems to flourish under the warm glow of information. I just have to say congratulations on doing it right.

I have not been able to locate any southern Indiana kite fliers, let alone Rev pilots. If you exist, please speak up. I've managed to find a couple half-way decent flying fields in my town, and even got permission from my place of business to fly on the roof of their couple-story-tall building, though I haven't tried it yet. Being also unable to locate any Rev shops in my state I have a feeling I'm a little isolated. Luckily the internet exists, allowing me to find several high quality forums discussing these marvelous flying contraptions.

I'm giving up my lurker status today because I've reached a point where my desire for a Rev has overpowered my inherent shy nature. I'd like to know if any of you has a kite they don't fly any longer that you'd be interested in selling. As for my surroundings: winds around here are frequently paltry. A typical "windy" day will see speeds from 0 to 12 mph with an average around 6. When a "storm's a-commin" we'll have more of a 12+ gusting 18-20, though usually by the time things are that good, it's best to get somewhere dry. However I do take vacations to the beach. Once a year, we head to the Myrtle Beach area and I'm dying to take a good kite there later this year. Plus here in about 10 days, I'm headed to Lake Michigan, near Chicago, for the weekend and I can't wait to see what the winds are like up there.

So I've probably been chatty enough for my first post. I enjoy discussions once I get my feet wet so please feel free to say anything you like. Thanks for reading and smooth winds to you all.

25 answers to this question

Welcome to the party!!! kid_devlish.gif Sounds like the winds there suggest either a SLE or "B" series in full sail configuration!!! Pretty versatile, will handle those lower winds very well, if you can swing it financially get yourself an assortment of frames, or at least leading edge rods, to increase the kite's range!! Overall, they're tough and will handle a lot of abuse, great fliers and you'll have more fun than,,,,,,,,anything!!!kid_devlish.gif Keep checking here or on the Kitelife forum under classifieds, for a kite to own!! I'm sure others have places that they've used too!! After the full sail, look to get a full vent, with those 2 you'll cover the wind range pretty well! Have fun and keep us posted on your progress!!!smile.gif

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum.

Yep, the mid-western winds are terrible. Just have to learn to live with them and pray for beach vacations.

Where in Indiana do you live? We (IKE) have club members in Charlston, IL and Dayton, OH. Might be a chance you can meet some of them halfway. Do look up IKEclub.org, sign up and post your bio there ... just not right now 'cuz the sight is being updated. Club dues are terrible ... $0. It really does help to fly with others ... no better way to learn.

Cheers,

Tom

Welcome to the party!!! kid_devlish.gif Sounds like the winds there suggest either a SLE or "B" series in full sail configuration!!! Pretty versatile, will handle those lower winds very well, if you can swing it financially get yourself an assortment of frames, or at least leading edge rods, to increase the kite's range!! Overall, they're tough and will handle a lot of abuse, great fliers and you'll have more fun than,,,,,,,,anything!!!kid_devlish.gif Keep checking here or on the Kitelife forum under classifieds, for a kite to own!! I'm sure others have places that they've used too!! After the full sail, look to get a full vent, with those 2 you'll cover the wind range pretty well! Have fun and keep us posted on your progress!!!smile.gif

Thanks for the tip on the Kitelife Classified section Wayne, hadn't stumbled across that yet. I will keep an eye on it!

Hey Chris, welcome to the forum.

Yep, the mid-western winds are terrible. Just have to learn to live with them and pray for beach vacations.

Where in Indiana do you live? We (IKE) have club members in Charlston, IL and Dayton, OH. Might be a chance you can meet some of them halfway. Do look up IKEclub.org, sign up and post your bio there ... just not right now 'cuz the sight is being updated. Club dues are terrible ... $0. It really does help to fly with others ... no better way to learn.

Cheers,

Tom

Hi Tom

I'm in Columbus which comically seems to be halfway between both those cities. Perhaps I'll organize a fly-in where both teams meet in my town! ;)

I was on IKE's forums yesterday with the intent to register and inquire about Hoosier kiters but alas, those pesky forums were indeed down. I'll see you on there soon.

Well with everyone tightly clinging to their kite bags (hey, I sure can't blame you), it seems I'm going to have to order something if I want to get any sleep at night.

So in an effort to cover as many sky conditions as possible, this is what I'm currently considering from A Wind Of Change and would welcome any feedback:

B Series: color undecided. Anyone have opinions on what stands out poorly against cloudy or sunny skies?

Vent style: Leaning towards Standard. I've read Mid-Vent might be a nice idea too for absorbing the swirls of inland flight and I've gone back and forth on this topic. I would like to be able to fly in low wind (<5mph) situations and I do plan on having a race frame available. Given my wind conditions outline in the OP, does anyone have thoughts to add?

Frames: Still undecided but the race frame sounds like it's worth the cost. AWOC says by default if you select a race frame upgrade, you'll get a race and a 2-wrap. If Race is "as light as a 2 and strong as a 3", should I request a 4-wrap as my 2nd choice? At first, I would think not as the 4-wrap is more for vented wind speeds from what I've read. But maybe it would be good for me early on (and friends as I try to grow my own kite buddies) for its crash resistance. Thoughts on frames?

Lines: *Sigh, le choices* I can get a 90lb/120foot pre-made set and be ready for a "perfect day" or I can spend an extra 30 bucks to instead buy 300 yards of bulk LPG and make my own (which I've done, no problem there). The 300 yards would allow me to make a 120' & a 30', with enough left over to make somewhere around a 60-65' set. So I'd cover perfect wind/beach days, poor wind/front yard days, and good wind/smaller field days. Does that sound sensible? (yes 1000' of bulk would be better but I just can't afford it)

Please keep in mind with any advice, I am already over any kind of budget just buying the kite, so the goal is to make a single purchase and not bring it up again for several years lest I incur the wrath of my pregnant wife. Thanks for reading.

Budgets - ick, bad thing!!!

Lines - Ok, if you're comfortable making your own line sets, then get the bulk!! Those 3 sets will get you a good bang for your buck!!

Frames - If you're considering a race frame, I'd get a 3 wrap to learn on!! Plenty strong and will handle the wind easily up till it's no longer fun to fly!!

Kite - Full sail will handle lower winds with the right frame, so too will the mid (got both), but a full sail and a full vent cover just about everything you'll see!!! IMHO, of course!!!

Colors - There are no bad color Revs!!! Especially in the "B" series!! Personal decision based on what you like to see!! Again, IMHO!!

Ya can't go wrong and forget about not getting more, you'll drool till you can afford another, and another,.........!!!!

<snip> B Series: color undecided. Anyone have opinions on what stands out poorly against cloudy or sunny skies? <snip>

Ah, decisions, decisions.......

You know, when the light hits the kite, it twinkles an' glistens B) All colors. Even black! It lights up like a mirror-ball when the sun hits it, no matter what the colors!! I picked the B-Series "night" color scheme, available through A Wind Of Change, because I can see those particular colors better at night, and under the stadium lights at night.

Otherwise, SV's recommends are the same as mine! Take it from him though, he's got WAY more experience than I ;)

Well after yesterday's winds, I'm back in the Mid-Vent camp for my "The One Kite." A 5 minute audit with my gauge showed a range of 6 to 29mph, with the average at 17. That kind of wind would probably even work for a full vent, but I can't afford to give up on the calmer days. It's impossible to squeeze an entire year's weather into one kite but that's what I have to do. I've never paid so much attention to the winds as I have these last couple months. It's easy to see why everyone eventually has a bag full of choices.

I’m not sure that is such a good move, though I am equally as sure that there will be a queue of people posting after me to disagree.

If I were you, I would go for one of the off the peg full sail, packages. B series with 2 and 3 wrap frames, for a bit of extra scope, if your budget will stretch to it, or if it won’t either EXP or SLE (choices get a bit more complicated around the SLE but don’t worry now, more on that later).

To be honest I would nearly always recommend a full sail for a first Rev, it is called Standard for a reason. But a quote from your last post illustrates my reasoning beautifully, “but I can't afford to give up on the calmer days.” Don’t get too hung up with quoted wind ranges, at the bottom end they are more about what is possible than what is practicable. To fly a Rev at or near the bottom end of its quoted wind range requires a level of skill it will take some time to acquire. When learning to fly you are far better of with a kite that is overpowered and gives more positive feedback than something too soft and gentle, don’t be seduced by “smooth” right now that comes later when you have learned to appreciate it. There is nothing more frustrating than having a new kite and not having enough wind to get it off the ground. At the other end of the scale however, these Revs are way stronger than many a novice would imagine and the top end of the quoted wind ranges are perhaps a bit more elastic and based more on what is comfortable than what is possible.

Another quote from your earlier post, “It's easy to see why everyone eventually has a bag full of choices.” I think you have already accepted that if you stick with this, you will eventually have to acquire more, when that time comes your priority should be about extending your wind range (you may also want to read what I posted in this thread) I am thinking your second Rev should be a full vent, and then maybe an extra-vent before you consider a mid vent.

Well after yesterday's winds, I'm back in the Mid-Vent camp for my "The One Kite." A 5 minute audit with my gauge showed a range of 6 to 29mph, with the average at 17. That kind of wind would probably even work for a full vent, but I can't afford to give up on the calmer days. It's impossible to squeeze an entire year's weather into one kite but that's what I have to do. I've never paid so much attention to the winds as I have these last couple months. It's easy to see why everyone eventually has a bag full of choices.

In those winds a midvent will work out!!! Same frame recommendations as before, the race frame is light enough for those light days with enough to soak up some gusts, and the 3 wrap is great for learning and those stronger days!! kid_devlish.gif

EDIT: Just saw Bob's post, and agree with him totally!! Brought back some memories of my early experiences with kiting back in the early '90s!! Wrong kite or line weight or line length to fit the wind conditions!! Standing there wondering, What's wrong with my kite??? Just wrong equipment on wrong day!! Give yourself the best chance to fly as often as you can!!smile.gif

Bob, Wayne: OK, I shall listen to the voices of experience and stick with a standard sail then. Thank you for the advice, especially the part about "smoothness." It's like you read my mind because that's exactly what was appealing to me with a Mid-Vent. My current ride is choppy (stiff leading edge, no vents - not even along the LE) and I'm desperate to relax a little at the controls and have more precision. And yes I'll eventually have more than 1 kite at my disposal, however the rate that I acquire them might not be as rapid as most (including myself) would like.

Does anyone care to discuss line length? Is 30' too short for a beginner? What I mean by that is: I was out last night on my non-rev with 70 foot lines. I was giving it some thought and the wind window didn't feel all that large. If I don't have slack-line or indoor skills, will I be able to do anything besides take off, rise 15 feet and drift 10 feet left/right of center as a newbie?

If you buy a "package" from most dealers, the kite is ready to fly, depending on model!! But not all kites come with lines included, so talk to whoever you deal with about that!! If you're going to make your own sets, then you'll find most of your flying will be done on the 70ish' length you talked about!! They give you a decent window to work in and are long enough to give you a little time for reacting to the kite!! Remember, short lines make things happen really fast, are your skills good enough to keep up?? Much easier to learn on longer lines!!! 120's are the team standard, unless you're going to fly with others, there's no big hurry for those! Again, everything is a compromise, best kite, lines, and frame for the conditions at hand!!!

For a less stressful flight , again depending on what you get, using longer top leaders with many adjustments will let you "tune" the kite to the conditions you encounter!! There's plenty of info under the modification topic on them!!!

. . . . .

or SLE (choices get a bit more complicated around the SLE but don’t worry now, more on that later).

. . . . .

SLE stands for Super Leading Edge, a thicker, stiffer, 1/2 inch spar. The SLE kite, or rather range of kites that were sold with the thicker leading edge. The SLE rods have now largely fallen out of favour and when I last checked the SLE kites were being sold with a choice of either ¼ or 1/2 inch leading edges.

If you go the SLE route make sure you know which you are being offered before you buy.

I have already said that the thicker rods have now largely fallen out of favour, but that is no reason to totally rule them out, at least with out considering the pros and cons.

Pros – Stronger, Stiffer & Heavier. For Stronger read, virtually indestructible, not a bad characteristic for the kite of a novice who may be a bit susceptible to the odd crash. I did hear of somebody who has broken one but it may be just an urban myth. Stiffer will help in stronger wind, and Heavier will provide more inertia.

Cons – Stiffer & Heavier. For Stiffer read “much stiffer” there is virtually no flex in an SLE, no think about why you were thinking of a kite with venting, a little bit of flex gives you “Smooth”. Heavier, raises the bar at the bottom of the wind range.

On balance, I think the SLE takes it in the first two or three weeks but beyond that, well let’s just say I forget the last time I put a ½ inch leading edge in one of my kites.

I wish you luck with whatever choice you make, with Revs there’s no such thing as the wrong choice, just varying degrees of right.

One last nugget, see if you can meet up with an experienced Rev flier for your first outing. Dollars spent on gas save hours of frustration.

There are couple on UK ebay.

I'm not sure if they will be a viable purchase by the time you have re-imported them, especially as new they would have been about the same price in £s in the UK as $s in the US, but they may be worth a look.

Link

This is a suggestion not a recommendation, I have no connection with the sellers and I have not read the listings in detail.

Oh! but please note: The sticks go on the back. :)

There are couple on UK ebay.

I'm not sure if they will be a viable purchase by the time you have re-imported them, especially as new they would have been about the same price in £s in the UK as $s in the US, but they may be worth a look.

Link

This is a suggestion not a recommendation, I have no connection with the sellers and I have not read the listings in detail.

Oh! but please note: The sticks go on the back. :)

Thanks for the ebay UK idea Bob. And as for the sticks, I'm not quite that green :blue-cool:

I just got my first kite, a 1.5B standard. I am also inland, with the same wind problems. The first day I took the full sail out was right after a once-in-a-lifetime Massachusetts tornado, and a 30+ mph wind gust took out a vertical spar and end cap mid air. Fortunately that was all the damage. We went to the coast and the full sail was great. I do suspect that the vented kites are smoother (having never flown one), but I like the full sail.(I'm sure I will get a vented kite as soon as I can 'justify' it) We got 2x 1.5 standard kites, so I have a total of 2 3-wrap frames, 1 2-wrap, and 1 4-wrap frame, with the idea that we would be ready for any condition. One thing I have found is that less then 3 mph wind is impossible to do anything with! (With my limited experience of course)

You might want to check out Kite Connection, that have some custom Icarex 1.5 kites (same fabric as B series) and other custom colors (ie. black rainbow) (not to knock any of the other fine dealers!). Looking back, a standard 1.5 kite would have been just fine, and I wouldn't have to be so worried about 'stretching out the sail' of the primo B series kite by putting a 4-wrap frame in and flying in high winds. I really liked the color scheme I got in the 1.5B, that was the clincher (discontinued teal/black)

Many are, it's a running joke.

I guess so. The EXP currently on UK's eBay: sticks on the front. Maybe that's why the wife had trouble flying it. :P

I just got my first kite, a 1.5B standard. I am also inland, with the same wind problems. The first day I took the full sail out was right after a once-in-a-lifetime Massachusetts tornado, and a 30+ mph wind gust took out a vertical spar and end cap mid air. Fortunately that was all the damage. We went to the coast and the full sail was great. I do suspect that the vented kites are smoother (having never flown one), but I like the full sail.(I'm sure I will get a vented kite as soon as I can 'justify' it) We got 2x 1.5 standard kites, so I have a total of 2 3-wrap frames, 1 2-wrap, and 1 4-wrap frame, with the idea that we would be ready for any condition. One thing I have found is that less then 3 mph wind is impossible to do anything with! (With my limited experience of course)

You might want to check out Kite Connection, that have some custom Icarex 1.5 kites (same fabric as B series) and other custom colors (ie. black rainbow) (not to knock any of the other fine dealers!). Looking back, a standard 1.5 kite would have been just fine, and I wouldn't have to be so worried about 'stretching out the sail' of the primo B series kite by putting a 4-wrap frame in and flying in high winds. I really liked the color scheme I got in the 1.5B, that was the clincher (discontinued teal/black)

Thanks for the review 4sp. I'll be sure to never go chasing down a twister with my Revs. It's amazing what we'll do for a breeze, eh?

I have been oogling Kite Connection's Black Rainbow, it's pretty sharp... as is the Night Rev. In the end, it'll be about price for me this time. Once I can get the kids out of the house (20 years from now? *gulp*) I can collect whatever artwork I want. In the mean time I'll surely pick up a zen and/or a full vent something or other B)