Bought Indoor rev (should I buy B 1.5 too?)

cubefx

Question

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Also it looks like I will be here for a long time. :)

Have been flying dual kites for a while as a hobby. I am in entertainment field and recently I performed with one of the indoor kite performers in the same show. That how I got interested in Revs. :)

I bought Indoor Rev about a weeks ago. What can I say, learning curve is steep. Flying dual kites do not helping either. I know about tutorial videos and they are helping tremendously.

Here is the question:

Should I buy outdoor rev, so I have more practice time with quad lines?

What do you think about B2 as a first outdoor rev? Is the smaller size will make it harder/easier to control?

Or should I just get B Series (1.5)?

Thank you.

... Also it looks like I will be here for a long time. ...

First off, welcome to the forum ... especially as a contributor!!

The indoor and the outdoor Revs require different flying skills. You'll not get a huge boost to your indoor skills by hours of outdoor kite practice. Sorry!!!

Why don't you tell folks where in Florida you live ... there are at least three folks in Florida who frequent this forum. You might find someone who lives near you and would love nothing more than to help you become even more infected with the Rev bug. They'll have a much better idea of what flies well in that area of the state. Any one of the three will also give you and opportunity to try-before-you-buy.

Since you've already determined that you'll be flying Revs for awhile, and if you fail to connect with someone, why not save yourself a ton of worry and torture? Simply buy a full sail and a full vent B-series. That will cover 95% of the wind conditions that you'll encounter. The SUL is not a panacea for low winds ... practice and skill is the real secret there. The mid-vent is my favorite kite, but it gets flown less than 10% of the time ... darn winds are either too low or too high. The X-tra vent is a great addition, but it'll be used less than 5% of the time. That leaves only the full sail and the full vent as viable choices. If necessary, you can save a little money by buying the SLE full sail and full vent and still have a great time. However, buying the B-series with the additional frame sets will help you cover a broader wind range.

The B2 is a great kite, but not the best choice for a first kite. The 1.5 has the best balance between speed and precision for developing the muscle memory that's necessary for long time interest.

My opinion only ...

Cheers,

Tom

• Like 1

Thank you for the quick reply! :)

I think you right and I just will order the B series (full sail). I know you said that it will not help me much with my indoor flying. I kinda figure it out myself, but I wanted to find the excuse to buy outdoor Rev. :)

BTW I am in the Central Florida (Orlando area), but willing to drive a distance if someone flying around.

Can you guys recommend a reputable online shop? I bought my Indoor from Windpower Sports, but have not very pleasant experience with the owner, so I prefer to take my business somewhere else.

Thanks in advance.

Flying Smiles is not right around the corner from you but you will not find find a more rev enthusiastic kite shop around. Cath and Eliot are great people to deal with and will be more than happy to help you out. Here is their web site, it's also listed right here on the rev website under retailers. http://flyingsmileskites.com/

... I am in the Central Florida (Orlando area), but willing to drive a distance if someone flying around. ...

You are in luck ... I think MrDenny lives about an hour away on the coast. Send him a PM and see if you can get hooked up.

Cheers,

Tom

... Can't wait to try it out. :)

Cool ... glad we could help.

Now, please stay around and tell us about your early experiences ... most of us love to live vicariously through those early days.

Oh yes, if you've been flying dualies for a long time, the learning process might be a bit longer. None of that push-pull, flailing stuff works that well with a Rev. Now you'll have to learn to keep your hands relaxed and down in front. Much smaller moves are the key to early success with a Rev.

Cheers,

Tom

<snip> Can you guys recommend a reputable online shop? I bought my Indoor from Windpower Sports, but have not very pleasant experience with the owner, so I prefer to take my business somewhere else. <snip>

Hehe, Corey at Windpower Sports can be a handful :kid_devlish::kid_cussing::) but he is very knowledgeable, has years of experience, and good ideas!

Not defending him, though, even though I consider him a buddy of mine. Like I said, he can really be a handful. He's just really enthusiastic about his views on kiting ;)

Hopefully your local kite shop will take care of you! Sounds like FSK is popular!

I'm all about trying to support my local kite shops ;)

Awesome Picture. Looks like too much fun! Cathy at Flying Smiles is a great gal and will take care of you for sure. If you have any other issues, you can give me a call at my shop and we can handle pretty much anything you may need. We have one of the largest in house stock of Revolutions in the U.S. and we also carry tons of parts.

I am sure you will love your B-Series, even though it is different than flying indoors, it's still a blast to fly.

Oh, welcome to the Forum as well. :) Glad you are here.

OOO LOVE the pic! Welcome to the Rev Family! There are some really good indoor kite flying videos that John at Kitelife.com is putting out that will help you a lot.

Great choice on the indoor color hehe.. Have fun.. put on music.. that helps me a lot... because I don't think so much.. I just feel.. same with Connor.

OOO LOVE the pic! Welcome to the Rev Family! There are some really good indoor kite flying videos that John at Kitelife.com is putting out that will help you a lot.

Great choice on the indoor color hehe.. Have fun.. put on music.. that helps me a lot... because I don't think so much.. I just feel.. same with Connor.

I second mousieo's opinion, if you got a subscription to kitelife, JB has some wonderful tutorials over there that will get you going indoor!!! kid_devlish.gif Spoken from a voice of experience!!! smile.gif

nice pic. loosen that grip...alot! You want to have your hands relaxed enough to get feedback from the kite, otherwise you're playing catchup the whole time you are flying. For right now, if you don't drop the handles occasionally you are holding on too tight.

I can second that!!! smile.gif Relax, slow down, you'll be surprised at how little motion it takes to keep the kite in the air!!kid_devlish.gif

<snip>

if you don't drop the handles occasionally you are holding on too tight.

My sentiments completely... Finger tips only, and sometimes the handle drops away with the top line running over your forefinger outdoors on long lines.

Felix

where in orlando do you fly me and my wife both have indoor revs and many outdoor revs i have every rev that was made we are always ready to go to either coast to fly we live 1/2 hour from orlando we are in haiines city let us know we can hook up to fly eitherindoor or outdoor or both weekends are best but always lookin for an excuse to play hookie from work esspecally to fly kites you can reach me at my cell #727-422-6038 call so we can get together

Steve an Sherri Pigeon

sunsetflyers

Steve,

Where are you flying indoor? I am actually live in Lake Wales (15-20 minutes from you) and going to Lake Eva at least once a week to take my son to the water park.

At the present time I am more crashing then flying, but I would love to get together. :) Can't wait for my B Series get here in the mail.

where in orlando do you fly me and my wife both have indoor revs and many outdoor revs i have every rev that was made we are always ready to go to either coast to fly we live 1/2 hour from orlando we are in haiines city let us know we can hook up to fly eitherindoor or outdoor or both weekends are best but always lookin for an excuse to play hookie from work esspecally to fly kites you can reach me at my cell #727-422-6038 call so we can get together

Steve an Sherri Pigeon

sunsetflyers

Ok,

Today was my third indoor practice. Advice on "loosing the grip" helped alot. Also I switched to the 10' lines instead of 15'. It feels that I can control it better with a shorter lines. Now I can do "360", "up and over with landing" and "catch". I have some problems with "redirection", but I will work on it tomorrow.

BTW thanks to Watty, I glued slices of rubber erasers to the bottom covers and it helped with a traction on the slippery floor. ;)

rev_02.jpg

Also I received my B series from the FSK!!!!!! I did not have a chance to fly it yet, but could not resist to put it together!

Yes! I got the bug! Let the collection begin! :)

rev_03.jpg

Thanks to everyone for advise and support!

Those 10' lines will really help!! What weight line is it?? Again, try an even looser grip, you should feel like the handles could almost fall out of your hands!!! kid_devlish.gif Open your hands and use as little pressure as possible!! It will help you feel what the kite is doing!!! Remember, you are guiding, not forcing the kite!!! kid_devlish.gif

Because of the short length, either 50# or 90# will work ok!!! smile.gif Really work at keeping your grip loose, it'll help you relax and you should find that "feel" coming through!! Indoor is about finesse, not brute force!! kid_devlish.gif Try it, you'll like it!!! kid_devlish.gif

PS: Advise given by a fellow beginner at indoor flying!!! Enjoy!!smile.gif

Congratulations on your new toys! I got to indoor from the opposite direction, did outdoor first, and just got an indoor this spring, no dual experience. But I think some practice outdoors will actually help your indoor skills.

The skill sets are different though! I was surprised that I couldn't just pick up an indoor and fly it the first time I tried. I had thought, okay, it's basically the same kite, just walk backwards, right? But I think already knowing what to do with four lines helped me immensely. And I did notice more skill transfer from indoor to outdoor as Felix mentioned. My first time outdoors after the long winter, it seemed like I'd magically gotten a bit better. It can only have been indoor practice that did it.

It would seem that some outdoor practice with a nice wind at your back would allow you to focus on what the heck to do with quad handles, without worrying so much about the kite trying to drop out of the air all the time. You've got dual line habits to overcome.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your new kites! :blue_wink: