Rev clinic in Portland?

KiteLife

Just testing the waters...

Anyone game for a Rev Clinic in Portland, July 9-10 or July 23-24?

It's be a great opportunity to "ramp up" before WSIKF, and it would be hosted by Watty, TK and myself.

Might be light / no wind, and if so, you'll learn even more... Any condition, we'll teach folks about it. :)

Probably $30 individual registration, 12 students max.

Who's in? How do the dates work? Which one is better?

So I've got July 23/24 on my calendar... I'll be there with my wife so thats 2 more. I'll bring it up with a couple other guys at work too and see if I can build any further interest...

~Brett

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi gang!

Just got back from a trip -- unfortunately I missed LC this year but I am glad to hear that you all had a good time.

I can be there on the weekend of 23/24 July. I'll try to get a couple more also. Maybe summer will actually arrive by then.

Chuck

Yeah! Wow, this is turning into quite the party. <grin>

July 23-24 is confirmed, final decision! :)

Not sure what the weather will be and again, Watty will be in Singapore, but I'll be there to work with anyone who shows up.

Can't wait!

So far, looks like:

1. stroke victim (Wayne)
  2. Seth
  3. windpoacher (Eli)
  4. Katrina
  5. Brett Howard
  6. Mrs Howard
  7. chuckrev (Chuck)
  8. Dueces Wild (Ann)
  9. Kevin
  10. Exile
  11. Major Hostility

Maybes:

1. FlyinKen
  2. HedgeWarden

So, a bunch of folks coming out... Going to be a fun weekend. :)

I'm still planning on coming, but I need to work out funding. My trip out there week before last, cost me more than I expected, and the lawn mower engine went out, so I had to get a new lawn mower.. Funds are quite limited now. Still trying to work it out though. Leave request has been put in, and payday is this week. I'll be sure to keep you posted.

And coming from Great Falls, I'll try and bring as much wind with me as I can!!

I can't wait to meet everyone!!

Ok... Leaves approved.. Just have to scratch money together to go.

I'm going to have to ask a big favor.. I can stay with family outside of Portland, but I probably wont be able to make the start of the fly if I do, having got into town the night before. Is there anyone that might be willing to let me utilize a small area of a floor in the corner of a room for a night. Please PM if open to the idea. I completely understand if no one is comfortable with that. Just thought I would ask just for convenience purposes. And it would be really cool to have a chance to meet, talk, and get to know someone thats been flying for a while. I'm not sure how, but I'd be willing to try and return the favor.

It's been brought to my attention that there appear to be NASCAR races happening at Portland International Raceway on the clinic weekend...

This means there is a pretty fair chance that our flying field will be in use for overflow parking, making it pretty unusable for us.

If this is the case, anyone have a suggestion for another good field we could fall back on?

10-12 fliers, so it's got to be a good-sized space.

FYI, TK and I are reliant on the MAX (train), along with windpoacher... If it's too far out, we might need to carpool.

It's been brought to my attention that there appear to be NASCAR races happening at Portland International Raceway on the clinic weekend...

This means there is a pretty fair chance that our flying field will be in use for overflow parking, making it pretty unusable for us.

If this is the case, anyone have a suggestion for another good field we could fall back on?

10-12 fliers, so it's got to be a good-sized space.

FYI, TK and I are reliant on the MAX (train), along with windpoacher... If it's too far out, we might need to carpool.

Their sched says its a major event. I called and listened to their computer. There won't be anyone in the officer till Tuesday to find out for sure, but if all their major events run about the same, the gates to the raceway will open at 8am.

I don't know the area well enough to suggest other locations, but the gorge typically always has wind. If there is a place we can fly that is.

As for carpooling. if needs be, I can fit 2 people into my car. A 3rd would probably be a little uncomfortable, and limit room for gear. So if we need to change locations, I can pick you up.

What are the odds that this will be canceled??

I've never actually flown anywhere along the river or in the gorge :(

I've heard people mention Frenchman's Bar in Vancouver before, but have never there. Is that a workable alternative John?

Cameron

I've never actually flown anywhere along the river or in the gorge :(

I've heard people mention Frenchman's Bar in Vancouver before, but have never there. Is that a workable alternative John?

Cameron

Frenchman's bar is a nice place, but it is small, and they charge an entrance fee in the summer. There is a double soccer field up by the WSU campus in northern Vancouver that I've considered flying in many times. Only thing is that I don't know how the school would feel about having a bunch of kiteflyers show up, particularly when none are students...

has anyone ever been out to Rooster Rock Park?? can't quite tell if it would be any good from Google Maps.

All the other parks that look like they MAY be open enough, I still think aren't going to have good air.

I was wondering about school fields also. I sometimes fly at Forest Grove HS, where there are some enormous fields and great exposure to the N, NE and NW. I have always found space. But for a gathering of 12 people, we should probably ask ahead of time.

Often I fly at the Washington County FG, by the Hillsboro airport. The winds are pretty clear from the S, SW, SE and E, but a little dicey from the other directions. However, the 23/24 is the weekend before the county fair, and it appears there will be some setup activities going on. I'll check with the Fairgrounds office on Tuesday to see whether there will be a big crowd on the 23/24. One great aspect of the Washington County Fairgrounds is the MAX stop about 200 yards away from the field.

I've tried other schools (Glencoe, Hilhi, Liberty) but most of them have too many surrounding structures and trees, or they would be too small to accommodate this group.

I'll check on a school field that is designed for soccer, football, and lacrosse, to see if there is any other uses on that weekend!! Got good sight lines north, south, and west, east is a little iffy with the school in the way!! There are 4 ball fields near by, so parking may be a little tight!! Have to find out if a tournament is scheduled that weekend, too! Sometimes they use that field to warm up in!!

Their sched says its a major event. I called and listened to their computer. There won't be anyone in the officer till Tuesday to find out for sure, but if all their major events run about the same, the gates to the raceway will open at 8am.

NASCAR! Geezzz.....

So if there's a NASCAR event going on, don't even bother to call about the field.

We know them, and they know us,

and yes it is a 'designated kite field' but it is on Port of Portland property and the

Race track has Priority to the field. :(

I don't know the area well enough to suggest other locations, but the gorge typically always has wind. If there is a place we can fly that is.

We have never found any good convienent access to any beach area wide enough or large enough for a group of flyers along the gorge.

Cameron mentioned Frenchman's Bar, and it's about as good as it gets for flying on the Columbia. Beautiful park! But like Watty said, there is a fee, and any more than 4 or 5 flyers and it's tight. Plus there will be the picnic bunch scattered around.

T

post-123-130965268217_thumb.jpgFrenchman's Bar October 2010 Scotty giving a lesson

Frenchman's bar is a nice place, but it is small, and they charge an entrance fee in the summer. There is a double soccer field up by the WSU campus in northern Vancouver that I've considered flying in many times. Only thing is that I don't know how the school would feel about having a bunch of kiteflyers show up, particularly when none are students...

Maybe could you check with the school before you go to Singapore?

Thanks for the feedback on Frenchman's Bar. The last time I tried to find it I got lost (no GPS) so I wasn't sure what it looked like.

Is the Delta Park "east" area off limits for kite flying? Are the soccer fields in use most of the time?

Cameron

The gorge wind tends to be too strong and gusty for good flying... Great for kite surf though.

As others have said, Frenchman's Bar is a little odd-shaped, and can't support more than 3-4 fliers in close quarters.

East (main) Delta Park will be overrun by soccer folks, and there'd be conflict over the space... They'd win, given the fact they're marked fields.

I was thinking about one of the sports complexes just outside of Portland, but I fear we'd encounter similar conflict over space.

==

There's also Broughton Beach...

post-2-13096718636_thumb.png

I think it'd take 5-6 fliers at any given time... The sand has some silt content though, and a north wind is greatly preferred.

Parking is slightly limited as well.

The airport used to check on us now and then, but never told us to stop... Could be more strict now, I have no idea.

==

SV, I'll be curious to hear what you find out about your local sports complex. :innocent: