Kite sleeve labels

I got a bit tired of rooting through similar colored kite sleeves trying to work out which one was the vented vs. the SUL, etc. At first, I thought I'd just label the sleeves by writing on them, but then I decided to make some labels. I went a bit overboard . . . I decided that I not only needed labels, but they should be pictures (to save having to read each one), and they should be waterproof for the days (like last weekend) when it starts to rain before you can pack your kites away. Basically, like a luggage tag. Turns out this geeky "luggage tag" approach was remarkably easy to execute. I took pictures of the kites against a white wall, cropped them in picasa, selected the images, and then used Create>Collage - (as a grid) feature to create a sheet with eight kites. By adjusting the grid spacing, I got borders between each image. Next, off to Fedex office to use their color laser printer (no fading in the sun, I hope) and laminator to make eight "sleeve tags" at a time. Here's the end result:

post-3588-130785835585_thumb.jpg

I'd consider adding text with the official name (and maybe the 'given' name if you name your kites) so you can tell someone to grab "such and such" out of the kite bag, without having to completely describe what the kite looks like.

Also, suppose you have several kites, with the same color scheme, such as a set of B's, or B-Pro's ?

I think your idea is great, however, I'm with Pete, and think that you should consider adding so text, along with the photos.

As for my ID procedure. I have all three kites, in a set, in the same color bags. B's are in Orange bags, B-Pros are in Yellow bags. Then I embroider a "S", "MV" or "FV", on the individual bags, which of course, stands for Standard, Mid-Vent, & Full-Vent....................

Different strokes for different folks...............but I still think your idea, of laminated tags, is GREAT smile.gif very cool !!!!

Thanks again . . . I should have mentioned that I wrote the kite "type" on the back of the tags before I laminated . . . at least the first set. Second set . . . well, I'll just say I was in a rush. I like the idea of matching sleeves with letters . . . except none of my revs match (at least for now) . . . Let's see . . . father's day, anniversary, xmas, birthday . . . .

I've been getting by with little plastic labels printed out on an electronic label printer but Nick, I like the embroidering idea. Do you do that on your own or take your sleeves somewhere to have it done?

I use the rev roll-up bag to store my kites...and I just store them without sleeves. Typically one slot holds 3 rev IIs, the next holds a couple of full sail 1.5s (20th anniversary, Pro), the next has mid and full vent. Then comes custom kites, then the Zen and a 1, and finally all of my spare rods. I really can't see any point to wasting space on sleeves inside the bag...

Now, if I were carrying around revs in another kite bag, that might be a different matter...

I've been getting by with little plastic labels printed out on an electronic label printer but Nick, I like the embroidering idea. Do you do that on your own or take your sleeves somewhere to have it done?

I suppose that I'm pretty much, a do-it-yourself-er. I sew bags for most all my kites, mainly because I don't like the new "red" factory JB bags (too stiff). I make them out of simple "duck" fabric, purchased at Jo-Ann Fabrics (it's cheap). I use different colors of fabric, for different sets of kites. For those bags that are the same color, I machine sew (embroider) the letters (S, MV, or FV) on the bag, to ID the kites inside (really, nothing fancy). I have a few natural colored bags, that are not embroidered, but they are for a Rev I & a Rev II, so I can ID them by the length............(hey winters are long, got to have something to do) kid_smartass.gif

post-2742-130796911437_thumb.jpg

post-2742-130796912414_thumb.jpg

post-2742-130796918031_thumb.jpg

post-2742-130796920714_thumb.jpg

post-2742-130796923166_thumb.jpg

post-2742-130796927563_thumb.jpg

Funny.

This subject came up yesterday at the Ripon CA fun fly.

Lynn makes a business size ID card with our name etc., and a short description of the kite. She then sews a clear plastic holder with the card inside, then sews it to the side of the bag near the opening. We used to just put hole in the corner of the little plastic cover and put it on the draw string, but they always got tangled together, and it was not fun having to sort them out.

When we sew our own kites, Lynn makes a bag that matches the kite.

post-274-130798537603_thumb.jpg

I'm loving all the ideas here . . . and I bow down before Lynn's matching bags with plastic name insert and Reef Runner's embroidery and "replacement" bags. If I were doing it again, I think I'd print out a matching sheet with kite names & my name, address & phone number. Then I'd cut it up, match it to the right image, and sandwich that behind the other sheet before laminating. While I never believe I'd leave a rev anywhere by accident, I've left plenty of things in various places during my travels - especially on airplanes. Having a name & phone number on the tags is a great idea. I think I'll stick some address labels on the back of the tags ASAP . . .

Some of Lynn's sleeves may be a little "over the top", but she really enjoys sewing, especially sewing something a little different. Someday perhaps you may see the beautiful quilted jackets she makes starting with a common sweat shirt or the aprons she makes from old jeans, using the front of the pants with the fly for men and the back for women. She trims them with flames for our hot rod friends, motorcycles for our biker friends, kites for our kite friends etc. Very cute.

She loves to sew, what can I say? But that's another topic.