Just ordered a 1.5 SLE have I done the right thing?

Ernie

Question

Hi guys

This is my first post so please excuse my obvious naivety when it comes to Revs.

Basically I have been forced to give up power kiting due to a very dodgy ankle - so my Peter Lynn Twister 2 5.6 is being sensibly retired.

So I was out with my son flying his stunt kite last weekend and we met a cool guy who showed us his Rev in action and gave us a demo and explained all about it. We were amazed - I've never seen anything like it! Anyway - you know the rest - I looked around (probably not enough) and ordered a 1.5 SLE the other day - in a desperate rush to get my hands on one before the coming weekend.

Now I guess I'm just looking for reassurance - as I see everyone in the forum praising the B series and thinking maybe I should have gone for that instead?

I'll probably have a full quiver by the end of the year - but meanwhile do you guys reckon that the 1.5 SLE is a reasonable first time Rev?

Thanks in advance for any reassurance

Jon :-)

I'll probably have a full quiver by the end of the year - but meanwhile do you guys reckon that the 1.5 SLE is a reasonable first time Rev?

Welcome to the Dark Side!! :big_starwars:

The 1.5SLE is a great kite. If you don't get a normal 3 or 4 wrap leading edge (the original SLEs came with a big fat tube) it would be well worth obtaining one as the slight flex (in my opinion) makes the kite much more controllable and less twitchy as the winds pick up.

...no doubt the quiver will fill soon. Oh, the other investment apart from a vented 1.5 (B or otherwise) may be the 120 foot lines if you fly team! Enjoy!!

great learning choice, many of us improved our skills greatly on just that model.

You will need to install some leaders on your handles so you can make micro-adjustments to the flying line lengths. You may want to eventually replace the three sticks which comprise the leading edge tube as well. The SLE tube is about 7/16ths inches in diameter, very strong and stiff (for it's given weight). Most of us enjoy that kite design more with a more forgiving and flexible leading edge. I'd say a set of Race & 4-wraps would cover most of the wind range, but there are also choices in between these two also, which your local flying conditions will influence.

The fastest path to self-improvement is a coach! Go find some other Rev-pilots and cut years of frustration away, saving hundreds if not thousands of coins along the way.

Welcome to the dark-side and Rev family!

Hi Jon

Welcome aboard, The very dodgy ankle could be a bit of a problem if wind isn't strong enough, but we know people that aren't sidelined with ankle braces, bad knees or broken bones, a little bit of ice and painkiller is enough to get you out there the very next day and do it again and again and again.

Definitely not a mistake! These are great kites and the SLE is the same size as the JB so when you increase your rev count (which will happen!) you will be able to swap frames etc. as conditions permit. Plus, you will have a nice robust frameset for both learning on and to teach/introduce others to rev flying.

I would second the 120' lineset. Flying with others, even if not 'in formation' is great fun and well worth the extra investment. Plus you will learn quicker flying with others as you have to have control rather than fooling yourself you are in control while the kite floats about merely assisted by you to stay aloft.

I see you are in Hertfordshire, Dunstable Downs has a good community of rev flyers to help you along.

Wow thanks guys for all the speedy and reassuring responses!

Now I can relax

I have much to learn in terms of the lingo as well as the kite itself! Wraps? Leaders? It's a whole new world!!

I just can't wait for my Rev to arrive and get out and fly (attempt) this weekend.

Definitely taking advice from other rev flyers too!!

Just been looking at the vented B - God help me I'm addicted and haven't even started yet!!!! Thank goodness its fathers day soon - I must prepare a list!

Thanks a million guys

Will let you know how the maiden flight goes on the weekend!

:-)

I see you are in Hertfordshire, Dunstable Downs has a good community of rev flyers to help you along.

Dunstable downs it is this weekend! It's watching those guys that made me want to ditch the Twister and join the dark side!! Cant bloomin wait!!

Dunstable downs it is this weekend! It's watching those guys that made me want to ditch the Twister and join the dark side!! Cant bloomin wait!!

The rev 1.5 is a great kite i just swithed to revs from many yrs of dualie flying due to a spinal injury. you will gladly fall in love with sport it is addicting.

Most packages have 2 leading edge sets of spars in them, if it's a newer model!! Depending on what version, full sail, full vent, you can use the thinner LE set without much fear of damage!! Stuff is stronger than heck!!! If you look under Tuning and Adjustments, you'll see the topic "My leaders - Your thoughts", this has some good pictures to show you what people are talking about!! They are used to adjust the angle of attack the kite has and makes it easier to control! Before you put that kite in the sky, take the time to make your lines equal, nothing more frustrating than a kite you can't steer or one that steers its self!!! There are some good videos on how to do it, pays off!! Welcome to "The Darkside", we don't bite, too hard!!smiley-devil.gif

• Like 1

Hey thank you all - more great advice - I'm overwhelmed :-)

Apparently my kite arrives tomorrow - if so I'll be quitting work early and heading out for a test fly.

Been reading lots and looking at lots of vids so feeling a little less apprehensive

Can't bloomin wait!! :-)

Yup, as Wayne has said, if it is a new model 1.5, it should come with two complete leading edges. One is the larger SLE leading edge, the other is the standard 1/4" leading edge. Use the larger leading edge for learning and stronger winds. It is very stiff and incredibly strong. Great to learn with and very fun to just whip the kite around in the wind.

For lighter winds and more precise control, swap out the larger 7/16" SLE leading edge rods with the skinnier 1/4" rods. This will slow the kite down more and make it much less sensitive to input, giving you better overall control and much more precision. The lighter rod will also make it easier to fly in the lighter wind ranges.

All 1.5 SLE's (starting in 2010) now come with two complete leading edges. Rev 1.5 SLE's built before 2010 only came with the one SLE leading edge.

Excellent kite, you made a very good choice.

brilliant - thank you once again :-)

I've learned so much from all your advice today on this forum!!

now I'm convinced I have made the right choice in my first of many Revs!!

How exciting!!

Jon

:-)

I should be at Dunstable on Sunday. I have a lime and black rev, grab me and I will happily spend a bit of time helping you along and answering any questions.

Hey that's brilliant!!

I'll be there on Sunday from midday with family in tow - so I'll look out for you!

Thanks for your kind offer of assistance - I will definitely grab you for some advice!

Thanks again :-)

Jon

Yup, as Wayne has said, if it is a new model 1.5, it should come with two complete leading edges. One is the larger SLE leading edge, the other is the standard 1/4" leading edge. Use the larger leading edge for learning and stronger winds. It is very stiff and incredibly strong. Great to learn with and very fun to just whip the kite around in the wind.

For lighter winds and more precise control, swap out the larger 7/16" SLE leading edge rods with the skinnier 1/4" rods. This will slow the kite down more and make it much less sensitive to input, giving you better overall control and much more precision. The lighter rod will also make it easier to fly in the lighter wind ranges.

All 1.5 SLE's (starting in 2010) now come with two complete leading edges. Rev 1.5 SLE's built before 2010 only came with the one SLE leading edge.

Excellent kite, you made a very good choice.

Kent, Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me the newer SLE REVs no longer have SLE printed on the sail.

Jon :-)

Nah, I bought an SLE last July, and the fact that I have 15 kites now (plus 4 on the way) is pure happenstance. They just came along, you know, in the *usual* way. Sort of..popped up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnxKbUc68KQ

Hey that's brilliant!!

I'll be there on Sunday from midday with family in tow - so I'll look out for you!

Thanks for your kind offer of assistance - I will definitely grab you for some advice!

Thanks again :-)

Jon

Jon

I will also be there on Sunday and fly a lime/blue rev. there will be a few missing as its the basingstoke kite festival this weekend but will still be good.

Keith

Jon

I will also be there on Sunday and fly a lime/blue rev. there will be a few missing as its the basingstoke kite festival this weekend but will still be good.

Keith

Hey Keith that's brilliant! I will look out for you!

I should be easy to spot - guy with Rev - obvious beginner scratching head - flying erratically ;-) 8 year old son flying stunt kite and laughing at me!

I might try sneaking up about 5 today to set it up so i don't look a complete buffoon on Sunday as I know it's going to be busy ( - been watching videos on the procedure ) - hoping some of my power kite experience will carry through - but I suspect this is a totally different game altogether!

My wife called to say it's arrived at home so I've asked her to bring it to my office this afternoon just so I can unbox and check it out :-)

I think I'm a little obsessed!!

Jon,

Thought I would introduce myself to you and all the other members.

Bought a 1.5 SLE three weeks ago and been out every second I can, up here in Aberdeensire UK.

Wow that machine has taught me some lessons.

I can say after the 30 plus hours I have had flying so far that a good wind and the large frame works well and gives you the feel for the kites turns and capabillities.

At the thrid time out I could not get it off the ground long enough so went for the supplied smaller rods and wow what a difference!

Taught me some more new lessons.

Now hovering just upright of course, can land and recover from the inevitable.

I would agree line management and staking along with preparation is well worth it.

I am now going to look into the use of handle tails for low wind adjustement.

All I can say is i'm hooked and thanks to all the help and info from this site it has made the initial learning curve a little less steep.

Take Care

Terry