Knot in the line

Lavarr

Hi all,

I've noticed 2 little knot in 2 of my lines. They are simple overhand knot but I'm unable to untie them because they are too small. I have a set of LPG 90 lb.

I've check my lines and don't think that those knots affect the lines length in a perceptible way.

Can this knots compromise the strength of the lines? Can I leave them in place or I have to untie them?

thanks!

They DO compromise the strength of the line. A knot takes almost half the strength of the straight line. OTOH, you probably rarely load those lines to their full strength. 4 x 90# is 360# - it would probably knock you down or drag you. However, gusts, or sudden yanks on the line as you do maneuvers may cause loading close to the maximum.

I suggest a magnifier, and a couple of needles to try to loosen the knots until you can untie them with tweezers.

Try to insert the needles into the knot between the lines, which will pull more line into the knot, which will loosen it. A good, large magnifier with good light, or a visor-type magnifier with good external lighting, will really help. As you say, the knots are too small to work on with the un-aided eye.

Try not to break any fibers as you work with the needles, as that would also weaken the line.

I keep a couple of needles jammed into the ends of 5/16" (8-10mm) wood dowels, and a set of pointed tweezers, in my tool kit. Very useful for a lot of things.

Thanks!

But i'm afraid of ruin the lines using needle. It's very easy to catch some fiber...

Maybe I should shorten all the four lines since both knots are very close to the end of the lines.

I'll give it a try.

Darning needles have blunt/round points. They may be easier to work with. I'm just careful not to push too hard. I do NOT pick at the knot. I push the needle through as close to the division between the line parts as possible. This gains some slack so I can pull at the line parts with the tweezers.

Thanks!

But i'm afraid of ruin the lines using needle. It's very easy to catch some fiber...

Maybe I should shorten all the four lines since both knots are very close to the end of the lines.

I'll give it a try.

Try to get the knots out first, worst case, you have to shorten the lines, which is alot more work

good luck