No ferrules

Lavarr

I think that the new (well, new for me as a 1990-vintage Rev I owner) system of short rods or plugs for joining LE spars can't really be called ferrules. Ferrule has a distinct meaning in English of a metal band placed on the OUTSIDE to strengthen a rod, protect the end, or form a joint. What the name should be for these internal joiners is something I've never considered.

Indeed is not a ferrule. that was the origin of my confusion..

It may work, but the original poster is located in Italy and may not have a large English vocabulary, requiring a look-up or translation. The translation of "ferrule" naturally was 'a metal band on the outside...' which was not to be found on his modern Rev kite spar. This is why it is a worthwhile thing to preserve the precision of words.

I'd say that if Revolution is currently shipping spars with dowel joiners, it should say so in their literature, and that word should be used among the factory people and among the experts and aficionados who hang out in the RevKites Forum. scholar.gif

Maybe in the real world a ferrule is on the outside, but in the kiting world and on the dark side, it goes inside. It's our dark sided way of sticking it to the man and not conforming to the natural lemming way! Independence I say! We will not conform! Besides, the normal world demands that all kites have cutsie bow-tie tails and are diamond in shape and they fly way up in the sky but you need a helper to throw it up in the air and the pilot needs to run really hard to get it up. Rev's....I dare say NO NO NO, they don't fly, they hover, they only have tails if we want them to and they are closer to double diamonds cut in half and usually the longest lines they are put on is 120' and that is only if they are playing nicely with other Rev's.

Kite flyers unite! Don't stand for mediocre lives and lets call a ferrule a ferrule, regardless of what the world demands!!!

I am Kent Kingston and I approve of this revolt in literature!

Dude, I need a helmet! :w00t:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled dose of kiting information.

Has the tin foil worn too thin??? You have to have it on your windows also!!!

Cheers mate,

Tom

I keep saying we need more smileys on this forum:

foilhat.gif

Of course, I will keep defending the purity of the English language, although I understand that I am: deadhorse.gif

I keep saying we need more smileys on this forum:

foilhat.gif

Of course, I will keep defending the purity of the English language, although I understand that I am: deadhorse.gif

Glad at least One of you chaps uses, understands, defends and supports the English language. :kid_devlish:

Must admit I find it difficult to understand on occasions. Especially the way those young folks talk. It must be my age!!

Have no idea how it ever flew at all!!! kid_devlish.gif

Joe's description in the Bristol 2008 video is instructive, I think! <grins>

The kite flew but it also 'stopped'.

Felix

EDIT Sorry about the thread drift, of course....