Water Bottles 'n Sunscreen

Camelback do a range of very good water bottles, plastic or metal, insulated or not. Also the camelback packs are superb too.

I like Nivea spray on sunscreen. Does work better if you put it on instead of leave it at home on the kitchen worktop censored.gif

I just picked up three bottles of SPF 50 Banana Boat spray on sunscreen at the wholesale club for the cost of one bottle at the beach. Now I am set for the season!

-Alden

I use a CamelBak myself. 1.5 liters, wear it like a backpack, can drink from its "straw" without letting go of my handles! I didn't know they made water bottles - that's what I'm hunting for now. Thanks!

I'll give the Nivea a try. I've had bad luck with spray-on sunscreens, the Coppertone and Banana Boat both stained my clothing :kid_cussing:

Yup! But because of the lack of humidity (17% today!), it's not unbearable, until it gets to over 105.

Vegas is close to being high elevation, 15 minutes out in the sun here will start a nice sun burn on some folks blue_mad.gif

WOW! That's some heat and humidity levels that I've only read about in books, sounds greatsmile.gif

WOW! That's some heat and humidity levels that I've only read about in books, sounds greatsmile.gif

I bet. Weather must be pretty wet by Lake Erie. And brutally cold winters!

You probably see INSANE humidity. Ever had a mosquito knock your Rev out of the sky? :kid_devlish: Got a suggestion for some good bug repellant?

I bet. Weather must be pretty wet by Lake Erie. And brutally cold winters!

You probably see INSANE humidity. Ever had a mosquito knock your Rev out of the sky? kid_devlish.gif Got a suggestion for some good bug repellant?

The climate is for sure different, I use a strong DTF pump spray 90%, but for cooling I use a Misty Mate pump spray bottle with Ice Cubes, or a shopping mall, but mostly the Misty Mate, because inside is for rainy days,,

Depending on how much water or beverage you want to tote with you when you fly, I generally lean toward one of the metal water bottles like so: http://www.amazon.com/PMCI-Finish-Stainless-Reusable-Bottle/dp/B00262AEHE/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1305205865&sr=8-23

Here's a handy hint tho... 1) Put it in some sort of neoprene sleeve (keeps it cooler longer) BuiltNY makes some great ones. 2) Even better! Fill the bottom quarter with water, freeze it, and then add the rest when you're ready to go out flying. That keeps it mighty cold and refreshing!

Let me also second Alden's recommendation for Banna Boat products. They make great sunscreens and the spray versions are even handier. Don't forget some kind of lip balm if you find yourself on a hot beach for hours on end. Burnt lips are painful and embarrassing!

I drink a gallon a day just sitting at my computer or reading. I don't think a quart is going to do the job on a hot beach!

I see something a bit closer (but maybe intended for people a bit more active than myself).

100oz Camelbak

Looks like it has room for the sunscreen and a few extra line-sets, too.

Burnt lips must be brutally painful!

Other places you can burn that often go untouched by sunscreen:

- Upper lip

- Around your nostrils

- Just inside your ear, top of ears, backside of ears (pay attention to the ears!)

- Backs of your hands, tops of your feet, back of your knees

Keeping chocolate safe in the bladder is pure genius! Never thought to try storing food.:lol:

Concerning water usage, I've found that my 1.5L lasts about 2.5 to 3 hours.

Remember - if you're waiting until you're actually thirsty to take a drink, you have already lost about 1% of your bodies' total moisture! Drink up and often!:fish:

The climate is for sure different, I use a strong DTF pump spray 90%, but for cooling I use a Misty Mate pump spray bottle with Ice Cubes, or a shopping mall, but mostly the Misty Mate, because inside is for rainy days,,

I really like the Misty Mate! I use one for when I'm grilling out, never thought to bring it out while I'm kiting. Cool idea :lol:

90% DTF is hardcore! Lil' stronger than Off lol. I would need it though the mosquitos make a meal out of me otherwise.

You might consider adding a couple of more items to your "protect the body" kit.

1) Lips ... you've never felt true pain until you've sunburned your lips. Sandy beaches and water all contribute to excessive sun loads. Bring some high SPF lip balm and train yourself to use it.

2) Eyes ... buy some good sun glasses that will block the UV rays. With cheap sunglasses you block the glare, and thus, your pupils can open up and let in the harmful rays.

3) Head ... If like some, you've grown up through your hair, then a good hat adds greatly towards protecting that "slightly" bald spot. Much more "cool" than using sun screen in your hair.

Cheers,

Tom

You might consider adding a couple of more items to your "protect the body" kit.

1) Lips ... you've never felt true pain until you've sunburned your lips. Sandy beaches and water all contribute to excessive sun loads. Bring some high SPF lip balm and train yourself to use it.

2) Eyes ... buy some good sun glasses that will block the UV rays. With cheap sunglasses you block the glare, and thus, your pupils can open up and let in the harmful rays.

3) Head ... If like some, you've grown up through your hair, then a good hat adds greatly towards protecting that "slightly" bald spot. Much more "cool" than using sun screen in your hair.

Cheers,

Tom

Excellent recommendations!

I'm a big believer in sunglasses, mine are even prescription. Good sunglasses are a MUST, to reiterate, you need ones that will block the full UV ray spectrum. I prefer my sunglasses to have the brown tint, as it seems to up the contrast.

I like a good "bucket" or "fisherman's" hat, baseball caps just don't cover enough. A good bucket hat will shade your ears, your hairline, and the back of your neck.

Its never to hot. and there is never enough sun, you people need to come to the middle east with me on the sand dunes. lots of wind, sun and as much sand as you want. Or as the Holy Scott Weider said in Tobago "when you dont have sun screen break open a coconut and use the meat"............ So I did and boy that was the worst banana boat sun screen i used lol ahahahahkid_devlish.gif

Its never to hot. and there is never enough sun, you people need to come to the middle east with me on the sand dunes. lots of wind, sun and as much sand as you want. Or as the Holy Scott Weider said in Tobago "when you dont have sun screen break open a coconut and use the meat"............ So I did and boy that was the worst banana boat sun screen i used lol ahahahahkid_devlish.gif

Unfortunately, not too many natural sunscreens out there... Not ones that absorb into the skin nicely and last awhile, anyways.

But the aloe vera plant makes a great natural sunburn remedy!

post-3694-1305607342_thumb.jpg

Kiting on sand dunes sounds like good times!! Las Vegas is in the desert in a valley, makes for some tricky winds sometimes.

here in the UK last weekend it was 15c / 59f

so it was hot coffee in the morning, hot tea in the afternoon and hot chocolate before bed

a bit cool at night, there was ice on outside of the tent at 4 am ish

fungussmile.gif

don't be mean share the sun kid_content.gif

here in the UK last weekend it was 15c / 59f

so it was hot coffee in the morning, hot tea in the afternoon and hot chocolate before bed

a bit cool at night, there was ice on outside of the tent at 4 am ish

fungussmile.gif

don't be mean share the sun kid_content.gif

Muuuuhahahahahahaha!:kid_devlish: The Sun is MINE! ALLL MIINNEE!!:kid_devlish:

Fancy a trade? I'd love to see some of those clouds you're hoarding out there! :kid_content:

As much rain and clouds as we've had, a trade sounds good about now!!!kid_devlish.gif

Actually, Las Vegas has been unseasonably cool recently, with lots of cloud cover. And crazy gusty winds! I've had the vented out the last few days straight, and I'm starting to understand why more folks prize their vented Revs :blue-love: over the full-sail. I was flying on 75' lines, and I could hear a "hissing" sound coming from the vents, as all that extra and unwanted power dissipated (12-23 mph). Fantastic! :blue-music: And an amazingly smooth feel!

These cloudy days bring up an important point about UV rays and sunscreen. The rays that penetrate the clouds are frighteningly strong and very damaging to the skin. These UV rays are even stronger during spring and summer months, when the Earth is closer to the Sun. So, even when its cloudy out, make sure you are still covering up, or using sunscreen! And use it year-round if necessary - I do.

No, I don't work for the sunscreen companies :P:lol: