A rev (or two) in central London?

goestoeleven

I've lurked on the forums long enough . . . now I have a reason to post. I'm looking for some advice on places to fly my Rev in or near London. I'll have the afternoon of Sunday 8 May available for some flying time after I arrive at Heathrow in the morning, and possibly an evening after work (although the pub will beckon loudly, I'm sure). I won't have a car, so I'm probably limited to tube/bus/rail distance from the City. My client is located near Liverpool Street station, and I will probably stay at a hotel within reasonable walking/tube/bus distance from their offices. A quick look at the member map turned up Blackheath and Hampton Court. And . . . judging by the blog entries . . . Felix and the Decorators seem to turn up at Blackheath frequently on Sundays. Any additional advice and location suggestions welcome. Full disclosure - I've been flying revs for maybe 6 months now, so my flying skills are somewhere near "rubbish." I've found IKE here in Illinois and have practiced a bit with them (which is the reason I'm just near rubbish, not total rubbish). Thanks.

I've lurked on the forums long enough . . . now I have a reason to post. I'm looking for some advice on places to fly my Rev in or near London. I'll have the afternoon of Sunday 8 May available for some flying time after I arrive at Heathrow in the morning, and possibly an evening after work (although the pub will beckon loudly, I'm sure). I won't have a car, so I'm probably limited to tube/bus/rail distance from the City. My client is located near Liverpool Street station, and I will probably stay at a hotel within reasonable walking/tube/bus distance from their offices. A quick look at the member map turned up Blackheath and Hampton Court. And . . . judging by the blog entries . . . Felix and the Decorators seem to turn up at Blackheath frequently on Sundays. Any additional advice and location suggestions welcome. Full disclosure - I've been flying revs for maybe 6 months now, so my flying skills are somewhere near "rubbish." I've found IKE here in Illinois and have practiced a bit with them (which is the reason I'm just near rubbish, not total rubbish). Thanks.

Hmm - the where can I fly question throws up some suggestions:

http://www.kitemap.org

http://aeolian.co.uk....html#HAMPSTEAD

http://www.royalparks.gov.uk/

...but the pertinent question may be "where can I fly with others on Sunday?". If you don't get a direct response here, I'd suggest PM'ing to check that there'll be someone there that day before making a special trip (in case they're involved with the Swindon kite festival).

There are a number of parks in London, but the "square mile" - City of London - is constrained with more formal (smaller) gardens, with trees but more important: horrible wind due to the surrounding buildings.

Thanks for the replies . . . I've been to the "square mile" quite a few times to work with this client (before I caught the kite bug), so I was not planning on flying inside the square mile. Judging from satellite views on Google, Hyde Park, Blackheath, Victoria Park, Regents Park and even some of the smaller parks might be OK. I've been to the Royal Observatory at Greenwich Park near Blackheath, and I remember it as being up on a hill, which would be a benefit for clear(er) wind. Hmm . . . . a Festival in Swindon . . . . maybe I should get a car after all . . . . I've not been outside London much as it's always work, work, work when I visit . . . .

Blackheath itself is the place, it's the venue for the Decorators most Sundays (though not this weekend as I think they are in Cervia, Italy). Also the local site for Carl Robertshaw.

Get there on the train, look for Blackheath station, turn left out of the door, walk 1/4mile and it all opens up into the Heath.

Blackheath itself is the place, it's the venue for the Decorators most Sundays (though not this weekend as I think they are in Cervia, Italy). Also the local site for Carl Robertshaw.

Get there on the train, look for Blackheath station, turn left out of the door, walk 1/4mile and it all opens up into the Heath.

Are the Decs in Cervia next weekend?

As for the Swindon Festival, there is no Multi Line arena, but Marla Miller is coming over form the US so if you know her or can contact her she may give you some advice about the festival I'm sure she's a regular.

Are the Decs in Cervia next weekend?

As for the Swindon Festival, there is no Multi Line arena, but Marla Miller is coming over form the US so if you know her or can contact her she may give you some advice about the festival I'm sure she's a regular.

Thanks again to all for the advice. Given that there's no multi line arena at Swindon, I'll plan on Blackheath, probably early afternoon by the time I get into the city from Heathrow, drop my luggage at the hotel, hop on the train, etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe indeed if you were flying a regular old style B-series, which popped up on a TV show last month.

Oh I missed that. Was the show called made in chelsea? They filmed me at sunset then asked me to sign a contributor form . Werhey fame at last!!! Yep that was me. Hope I didnt let the side down. I work in north London and get onto the hill if I get a free afternoon. The odd dog walker has approached me and asked if I know the other guy who flies "those kites" Guess thats you coffeebean. Hope I bump into you some time. My schedule is pretty full on at the mo so havent flown there for a few weeks .

• 5 weeks later...