Indoor tutorials

KiteLife

Woohoo! Finally found a place nearby that will rent me indoor space to film tutorials!

If there's anyone here who has been waiting for indoor tutorial videos before subscribing to Kitelife, now is a good time, it'll help cover the costs while we film!

Stay tuned for news, hope to start this project in the next month or so. ;)

It'd be a pain to look up and talk to the camera all the time for tutorials, but a slight overhead view is always great for performance stuff. :)

Did our first round of filming today:

1. Basic intro

2. Launch and 360

3. Redirection (upturn 180 / land & launch / on the ground)

4. Flat recovery and relaunch

Just need to edit 'em up, and we plan on doing more filming this week if there is time open for us to rent the gym. ;)

I felt it was really important to start with the absolute basics, since there is no DVD available for the Indoor Rev.

==

On the immediate to do list:

Up and over, reverse flight (basic), reverse flight (advanced), catch and throw (basic), catch and throw (advanced), slide/float, jumping through the lines.

Other suggestions?

Other suggestions?

I like TK's move where she turns one way with the handles over her head while the kite goes around her the other way.

Probably a simple move, but very appealing. Dunno if it is right for a basic indoor tutorial, but it gets me every time I see that video.

(If it doesn't have a name, maybe it should be a "TK".)

I think Penny Lingenfelter really put that move on the map, kind of a Rev pirouette.

Main problem, I can't really spin like that and I'm pretty sure TK isn't ready to articulate how she does it. :)

=

Ultimately though, it's not really a "teach" move imho...

It's a wide spin, and spinning on your feet, keeping your head and handles generally pointed at the kite.

Keep the ideas coming, all are welcome!

Yep. ;)

That will fall under the Intro video, which I'm actually going to film over again - need more content, was way too brief.

The outdoor tutorials were made for folks who already knew the basics, this ground up approach for indoor is a different tact. :)

Even though I've settled on using my standard ourdoor no snag handles since I just can't bond with the indoor handles, I'd still like to see detailed intro work like you're suggesting because there is so little info around I don't know what I haven't tried or may have missed.

Add all the tricks Watty did in his videos as (axel, fade, sweep, pancake, etc) well as any other trick stuff. Off the top of my head - clockwork, speed control, and more I'll have to think about at my next session.

Something to maybe include for each section is how to see or feel where things are going wrong and how to deal with it before total failure. Something I noticed my last time out (or is that last time IN :P ) was that I would often end up with my rev at too much of an angle towards me (think side hover position) and that I would start to lose power on one half of the wing. Now I know this was happenign because of some bad days at work, but it illustrates the point that you can see something going wrong and need to have a way to fix it. Currently in that case I usually re-square the sail to power up and then go from there, but I'm not sure if there is anything more elegant than that.

I'm hoping to have another session tonight and then I can give a more coherant answer.

• Like 1

Since Watty was the one who brought the "odd" indoor tricks that Fabrice is doing (roll ups, flic flac, etc) into North America, I think I'll collaborate with him on those items.

Clockwork and speed control are still relative to the outdoor skills, although I'll probably do a tutorial specific to how such movements are translated from outdoor to indoor.

With regard to losing power indoor, and the angle of the kite, you're spot on... Hands MUST stay close together (5"-6") during general flight... The only time they spread further, is when you're doing deep floats/slides... We'll cover that as part of the "translated" aspects, as well as reminders throughout each tutorial when appropriate.

The intro I shot first was all of 2 minutes, and was far too topical... When we re-film, I'll be introducing the concepts of indoor flight in general, how the kite is controlled (basic), as well as a firm and explanatory reminder to keep the hands close together (also in line with - in front of - your torso) nearly all the time.

I've never used the outdoor handles on my Indoor Rev, outside of a few sample minutes on Steve's kite... I've never had a problem with the indoor handles, as I tend to look at the Indoor Rev flying more like handling a marionette puppet, and less like an outdoor Rev... I try and do some comparative though, and talk about that in a later tutorial.

==

Question...

Would any of you be interested in some video content with Spence and I actually having a bit of back-and-forth discussion as well, with constructive debate on various topics and examples of how our different techniques elicit different results?

Since Watty was the one who brought the "odd" indoor tricks that Fabrice is doing (roll ups, flic flac, etc) into North America, I think I'll collaborate with him on those items.....

....Question...

Would any of you be interested in some video content with Spence and I actually having a bit of back-and-forth discussion as well, with constructive debate on various topics and examples of how our different techniques elicit different results?

GREAT IDEA!

Looking forward to your co-efforts and video/s!

Yep. ;) ...

Been thinking about the handle to kite relationship and believe there is one dimension that is important for a starting point. Namely, "what is the distance from the top of the vertical to the top of the handle MINUS the distance from the bottom of the vertical to the bottom of the handle?" That difference should help with a starting point for the initial set-up ...

Any idea what that dimension is? Wonder how much difference exists between fliers.

Cheers,

Tom

Been thinking about the handle to kite relationship and believe there is one dimension that is important for a starting point. Namely, "what is the distance from the top of the vertical to the top of the handle MINUS the distance from the bottom of the vertical to the bottom of the handle?" That difference should help with a starting point for the initial set-up ...

Any idea what that dimension is? Wonder how much difference exists between fliers.

Cheers,

Tom

Are you referring to the actual differential between top and bottom lines, leaders and rigging included?

Very specific methodology, neat. :)

I'll try and remember.

Along with those specs, I'll be sure to note if the flier is using Indoor handles, or 13" pro handles (ala Watty and de Rooy).

==

Watty came with us to film today, stayed behind the camera though... We'll do some collaborative soon, I'm sure. :)

Another one here for comparative work. I think it's good to get two different contrasting points going so that people have a broader base of specifics to work with in figuring out where their own specific preferences are. I myself am a fan of the more visually exciting elements of flying (which spence does a lot) but I also practice slow and flowing because it does a lot for my skills.

As for the handles, the standard no snags just work about a million times better for me. It was only by using them that I got a handle on the indoor rev (yuk yuk yuk) and now I just can't fly on anything else. The bend and the weight is just better for me, no other reason.

While you're on the point of translations - I think mentioning how indoor and outdoor techniques vary for a giving item will be very useful since it adds another point of reference for the viewer. You may want to add in how some of the indoor stuff relates to street flying (or zero wind outdoor on a 1.5) skills if there is any correlation.

Are you referring to the actual differential between top and bottom lines, leaders and rigging included?

Very specific methodology, neat. :)

I'll try and remember.

Along with those specs, I'll be sure to note if the flier is using Indoor handles, or 13" pro handles (ala Watty and de Rooy).

Yes!

All noted, I'll do what I can... The trick of course, is find the context for each little nugget, and most of all, to remember it amidst everything else. :)

I'f you're anywhere near as senile as me ... make notes beforehand and give the TK an airsoft pistol to sting you with every time you make a mistake - you'll find a way to remember things then :blue-cool:

FYI, I have EIGHT tutorials put together now... Just doing final proofing.

1. Introduction
  2. Launch and 360
  3. Redirection
  4. Relaunch
  5. Up and Over
  6. Slide (Float)
  7. Catch and Throw (Basic)
  8. Catch and Throw (Advanced) *

I'll be putting 7 of them on YouTube (essential basics), 1 (*) in the Kitelife subscribers section.

Also, there are 10 more yet to be filmed (should be done in the next month)...

• Tuning Basics
  • Reverse Flight (Basic)
  • Reverse Flight (Advanced)
  • Body and Handwork
  • Sail Loading
  • One-Handed Flying
  • Jump Through the Lines
  • Axel (Indoor and B2)
  • Flic Flac (B2)
  • "The Fabrice" (Throw and Catch - B2)

Of course, further suggestions for video topics are most welcome. ;)