Need a Target kite and a replica

SKYWLKR

I am first off looking for a Target kite in good condition for display, if you have the reel and other accessory's that is a bonus. I would gladly pay for shipping and a Rental and "insurance".

I also need to build a kite or two that would look similar to the target kite but maybe a bit bigger and flyable in much lower wind and off of a standard dual line line set.

I am thinking on like a Dyna kite style frame and bridle with white or light blue or gray rip stop. not a "+" style frame but an arrow style.

I would paint the Planes on it.

There is an original Garber Target Kite on eBay, currently with 4 days to run and currently at $26 (I expect it will go higher; maybe $100-200.) If you want it bad enough, it is there to be had. Very faded, and not in perfect condition. EDIT: "not perfect" is an understatement. This kite is heavily patched with tape that has dried up, has many tears and cracks. The reel/flying bar seems to be missing, as well. I doubt it will go as expensive as I said. These do come up for auction periodically, so if you want one in better condition, you might wait.

A replica could be painted on cardboard if you just want the general idea. There are many pictures on the internet. The background was a sort of grayish slatey blue, as I recall; intended to make the painted Zero fighter airplane look like it was outlined against the sky.

A neighbor had one back in the 1950s. We never got it to fly. It was extremely heavy painted canvas, with a heavy frame (3/4 by 3/4 fir spars). I would guess that it would need a steady wind of perhaps 30 mph (the video claims 10 kts/11.5 mph.) It was flown with two lines, which went to a small bar on the kite and then operated a rudder through a system of pulleys. It supposedly did not tilt the kite itself as on modern two-line kites. About 5' by 5'. The operator wore a harness with two reels and a flying bar that looks to be about 4' wide - way too long for the actual amount of rudder movement, so it may have also done some tilting of the kite itself.

BTW, Jim's second link has a great video. You really need to see the state of stunt-kite flying in 1945! Not much by modern standards (no Flik-Flaks there!) but definitely stunt flying.

I also need to build a kite or two that would look similar to the target kite but maybe a bit bigger and flyable in much lower wind and off of a standard dual line line set.

Actually, the original NTK can be flown from a standard dual line set...I got to fly one of Margo Brown's back in the mid-90s. Obviously you miss out on the nifty spool and it helps to have long arms.

In iQuad, we treat Watty as the target....

:D

I thought you might have treated him as the But (for all jokes)

Sorry Watty :kid_devlish: it just sprang into my mind, and I just had to type it as my mind is so full with being old and all that. If I left it in there it would just be full and leaky. Like that kids brain on Flight of the Navigator.

There is an original Garber Target Kite on eBay, currently with 4 days to run and currently at $26 (I expect it will go higher; maybe $100-200.) If you want it bad enough, it is there to be had. Very faded, and not in perfect condition. EDIT: "not perfect" is an understatement. This kite is heavily patched with tape that has dried up, has many tears and cracks. The reel/flying bar seems to be missing, as well. I doubt it will go as expensive as I said. These do come up for auction periodically, so if you want one in better condition, you might wait.

Suppose if you string stuff up in the air and get folks to shoot at it you will end up with lots of patches on it. A more imaginative description might be "good original used condition" :)

I actually saw one of these this past Sunday. It had the German insignia on the wings, not the Japanese Zero. Kites Unlimited in Atlantic Beach NC (Their phone etc. is listed in the list of Rev. retailers) had one in flyable condition and I think a couple more currently non flyable. I was surprised by the size of the wood framing. the speader bar must have been 5/8" thick minimum x 2 - 2 1/2' wide. I guess if you're flying it off the stern of a ship moving at 15 - 20 knots it would fly, but it's definitely not a low wind kite. :)