Portsmouth 2011

Felix

Great news and who else will there from the USA..............................

Well....

I was over there last year but that hardly counts!

If we could get the USA and Japanese teams together with the European teams we would have serious numbers.

Sadly I do not, at this stage, have access to funding possibilities on that scale. I am open to suggestions as ever.

Felix

I know it is not much, and possibly too late for this Year, however to help fund travel costs for long distance teams I would be happy to drop a Tenner in the pot, as long as maybe Felix was happy to administer the distribution of the funds, just an idea.

Another more risky idea, both Portsmouth and Bristol (the events I know the most) have auctions, is it possible that there could be a Rev fund part to the auction for items donated by local Rev fliers that could be put into a fund pot?

Maybe the "hook" presented to the auction organisers could be, with this fund we could help even more cool Quad fliers to the party.

I know it is not much, and possibly too late for this Year, however to help fund travel costs for long distance teams I would be happy to drop a Tenner in the pot, as long as maybe Felix was happy to administer the distribution of the funds, just an idea.

Thanks for the suggestion but, as you say, too late for this year.

The cost of long distance travel is such that I see it as the main barrier to getting 100 team fliers together. I would be interested to discuss this further but think that administering a funding project could be a nightmare and not one that I would want to take on currently.

Felix

So far,I think there is 5 attending from the haven flyers.I will let you know if this changes.As for the 100,it would be great to get that many flyers in one location,but let's see how many turn up,then go from there.Perhaps an informal fly together on the Friday,if people can make it

If everything goes to plan I will be meeting Ben at Heathrow on Friday morning and travelling on down to Portsmouth so would expect to be there early afternoon!

An informal fly would be good!

Felix

IN !!!!

3 AIR-4-CE pilots from Holland kid_smartass.gif

(We will be there early afternoon too)

Good news!

I have almost finalised the team fliers who will be going to Scheveningen.

Looking forwards to flying with you at Portsmouth.

Felix

Following a post by Mr Mottram on another part of the forum stating that the Quad Arena at the Portsmouth Festival was a Rev arena, I sought clarification from the Kite Society as this was not the case at last year's festival, they replied and said that they would ask Mr Mottram to re-post ( as he put up the original post ) with regard to the use of the arena and the proposed Mega Fly, six days have passed and for whatever reason no post as far as I am aware has been put up, so to clarify thing's as the festival is fast approaching and folk will be wanting to finalize their plan's here is the reply I received from the Kite Society in answer to my original question.

" The intention for the Mega Team is for Revolution kites to be flown only - this is what Felix means. Obviously other kites - like Sky Dancers, Home Made Quads etc can be flown and are more than welcome. The reasoning behind the Mega Fly limitation is that it is very difficult to have a successful fly of the grid system with different types of kite. "

The kite Society.

<snip>

Gill Bloom has e-mailed me to say that:- 'the Council have agreed for "us" to use the the top half of the underused public car parking field (near the Queens Hotel) as a separate Rev field - which is great for you and us as it gives us both more space.'

Gill Bloom has e-mailed me to say that:- 'the Council have agreed for "us" to use the the top half of the underused public car parking field (near the Queens Hotel) as a separate Rev field - which is great for you and us as it gives us both more space.'

I was not aware there was an " us " and you I thought we all flew quad kites, so to whom does the " us " apply, is it those that fly Rev's ( I have eight Rev's in my bag ) or those that are in a team ( I fly in a kite team ) or those that have flown in a mega team ( I have flown in mega teams at Portsmouth since 2008 and other festivals ) so am I ok to assume that I am an " us " as well as a you ( not sure what a you is ? ) or is it that I come from East Anglia and you probably think we all have four fingers and two thumbs on each hand which is why you think we need more space in which case do I need a separate arena being a country bumpkin ? ps just counted four fingers one thumb on each hand !

I was not aware there was an " us " and you I thought we all flew quad kites, so to whom does the " us " apply, is it those that fly Rev's ( I have eight Rev's in my bag ) or those that are in a team ( I fly in a kite team ) or those that have flown in a mega team ( I have flown in mega teams at Portsmouth since 2008 and other festivals ) so am I ok to assume that I am an " us " as well as a you ( not sure what a you is ? ) or is it that I come from East Anglia and you probably think we all have four fingers and two thumbs on each hand which is why you think we need more space in which case do I need a separate arena being a country bumpkin ? ps just counted four fingers one thumb on each hand !

"us" is the Kite Society term for the event.

Maybe there is something in the water over there. <grins>

I thought that there were some very good Rev fliers in East Anglia...

Felix

Felix Mottram The Kite Society have asked me to re-post. I was referring to 'large scale grid attempts'. "Other 4 liners can fly in the arena too".Thursday at 10:54am · Like

I assumed that the re - post clarifying the use of the arena would have been on the forum as that was where the " Rev arena " post originated, a number of flyers who saw that confusing post do not use facebook or twitter including myself, that is why I asked the Kite Society for clarification to save any confusion on the day as I was not sure if the word " Rev " was being used as a generic term for all types of quad kite or not

I assumed that the re - post clarifying the use of the arena would have been on the forum as that was where the " Rev arena " post originated, a number of flyers who saw that confusing post do not use facebook or twitter including myself, that is why I asked the Kite Society for clarification to save any confusion on the day as I was not sure if the word " Rev " was being used as a generic term for all types of quad kite or not

The re-post was placed where it was requested by The Kite Society.

Your confusion has been noted. I have, once again copied the text from the Facebook Event page which is titled

Portsmouth 2011 Revolution Arena

just in case you or others did not notice. The title of the page was changed at the request of KSGB to avoid any confusion with the overall event page.

Felix

<Gill Bloom has e-mailed me to say that:- 'the Council have agreed for "us" to use the the top half of the underused public car parking field (near the Queens Hotel) as a separate Rev field - which is great for you and us as it gives us both more space.'

Further details are to follow. I understand that, and I quote:- 'if there were sufficient numbers a discount should be available from the Halls of Residence. This would have to be organised by the Rev fliers'.

So who is in and is someone local able to step forward on the organisation front?

Thanks

Felix>

<In respect of any large scale grid attempts it is really not very interesting attempting to accommodate every 4 line kite.

Please could potential participants fly the Revolution configurations agreed on the day.

The flier's participation is subject to the 'caller' on the day whose deliberation is final.

Thanks>

Please could you identify the 'confusing post' as I do not have any clear reference.

We note that you do use channels of communication that are not available to regular Revolution Fliers elsewhere in the country and around the world and suggest that you correct your activity accordingly and apply the appropriate standards of international transparency.

Thanks

Felix

Further details are to follow. I understand that, and I quote:- 'if there were sufficient numbers a discount should be available from the Halls of Residence. This would have to be organised by the Rev fliers'.

So who is in and is someone local able to step forward on the organisation front?

Thanks

Felix

If I have misunderstood the email from Gill Bloom I apologize, I merely wished to clear up any confusion from thing's being refered to as Rev arena/Rev field, as far as I am aware this was not the case last year when I thought it was a quad area due to a variety of kites being flown, unfortunately when walking around the festival on the Sunday I met a gentleman called Michael who was flying a Skydancer in and around a number of small single line kites in the public area, when I suggested that he may have a more enjoyable time flying in the quad area, he said he had asked a Rev flyer if it was ok for him to set up in our area when he first arrived but was told it was for Rev kites only on 120's, I thought this was a shame particuarly as he went on to say that he had also recently brought a Rev SLE but had not brought it with him as he thought people would like to see something different.

<snip>

The request for a Revolution Arena was based on the notion of 30-40 or maybe more fliers working co-operatively with 120ft line sets and very similar kites (or flier capability to compensate) in order to present the kind of display that was first seen at Portsmouth* in 2008.

Felix

*Edit, 'first time in the world' as far as I am aware although the effort at Uchinada was close but ultimately did not succeed... FJM

Would there be any benefit in starting a list of rev fliers for Portsmouth. Most of us know each other now and it may give the caller/ organisers ideas of were to place the groups within the grid.

Felix do you know how many different nations will be represented.

Would there be any benefit in starting a list of rev fliers for Portsmouth. Most of us know each other now and it may give the caller/ organisers ideas of were to place the groups within the grid.

Felix do you know how many different nations will be represented.

France, Holland, Spain and one flier from the USA as far as I am aware.

I don't think that there will be any need to pre-plan the grid.

Felix

Is there any idea of how many flyers will be present at Portsmouth,and do we have a chance of beating the 64 grid at last years WSIKF

---

- All the best

Daz

At this stage I hope that we will have in the region of 36 - 40 recognised and fully experienced team fliers but obviously there will be the opportunity to coach less experienced fliers over the two days of the main event. I would hope to see some Super 16 or better still Super 36 flying as well but that may be wishful thinking on my behalf.

At Long Beach there was a 'very' wide range of flier capability! <grins>

Felix

Decs 8+

TFS 8-9?

Fusion 5

AIR-4-CE 3

Bolau 3

Les Lousticks 3/4

Haven Fliers 5

Hampshire Fliers? 4/5

plus quite a few experienced fliers who should be 'persuaded' to join in (no names)