Portsmouth 2011

Felix

Hear Hear !!

This is what makes Portsmouth such a good festival, The World class single line kites for a beautiful backdrop, The World Class Dual line, Quad Line and Single line arena displays. The Quad area can only enhance that, so lets all make sure we keep as many in the sky as we can everyday. Its a chance for so many to fly together.

What he says! <grins>

Felix

Thank you Felix.

How many New Haven Flyers Daz. We will have 5 from the North East. I'm looking forward to flying a large grid again.

Vince

We have 5 coming to Portsmouth mate

---

- All the best

Daz

Just a few more days to go and the weather is looking good! <grins>

Felix

Thanks for this clear indication of 'intent'. I hope that all the 'Revolution Fliers' will understand how they can contribute to the overall event.

I'm hoping that we will be able to find a 'sponsor' for the PA by the end of today... "EDIT Sorted but contributions welcome via The Kite Society!"

Felix

Just in case anyone missed the update...

Felix

Will you be there too Chris ?

Hmmm! It sounds like Chris will be watching from a distance again unfortunately....

May I suggest the someone/everyone gives some thought to the music/muzak/accompaniment/whatever we would choose in the event that we do a main arena mega fly. The choices made by default over the last few events I have attended have been less than ideal in my view.

I will suggest Mila Repa by John McLaughlin Trio just because that is what we flew with by choice at Sunderland recently. A second choice would be Concierto de Aranjuez (Adagio) by Miles Davis from Sketches of Spain.

If everyone turns up with a CD with just their selected track that could be cool. We could put them in a hat...

<grins>

I'm thinking parallel Super Sixteens merging into a single team picking up the extra four fliers along the way in order to hit the nine fours and four nines... Anybody?

Felix

Purse strings tied, dare say a familiar story for many ...but still as you say I live vicariously, yet again :)

Great idea ...with that in mind, had a quick glance through some of my current shuffle playlist (only seem to use it for kiting purposes these days)

Of course don't want to be filling the thread up with track listings so copied it here instead.

Any help?! just let me know.

Chris

Thanks Chris,

Needless to say from within my 'little bubble' I don't recognise any of that! Pulling it out of a hat does seem 'almost sensible' in the circumstances...

I'm thinking theme music for the event as in a distant memory of the pre Olympic Barcelona event where Pat Metheny was played comprehensively before I personally knew his genre.

Summer music with the attached euphoric notion (almost) that we had decided not to compete the following weekend at Western Super 'Night' Mare in the two line competition...

Felix

"...music/muzak/accompaniment/whatever we would choose in the event that we do a main arena mega fly".

Well the rev mega team is in the timetable each day at 17.00 for a megafly in the main arena and a mini mega fly 15.15 on the Saturday and 12.00 on the Sunday - so there is no getting out of it now;)

I was certainly not looking to get out of it... <grins>

I hope that 'the team' will be able to decide accordingly! I'm wondering if the mini mega flies might be in the Super Sixteen format or a variation of that?

Felix

I am booked for sat and sunday, I could only be there on Monday so will have to give it a miss.

I was looking forward to it this year.

Keith

Here is the agenda <grins>

Felix

Saturday:-

10:30 Altitude Sprint—Race against time to be the highest kite in the sky.

10:45 Close Encounters—Husband and wife team Allan and Marilyn Pothecary flying dual line kites to music.

11:00 Inflatable Time—All sorts of weird and wonderful inflatable kites. No sticks re- quired!

11:15 The Flying Squad—One of the UK’s leading multi line display teams do their stuff!

11:30 Air-4-ce—Sports kite team from Holland with synchronised kite flying to music.

11:45 Art Kites—The opportunity to see some of the spectacular and artistic kites from some of our invited guests.

12:00 Kite Wave—Open to all kite fliers a series of staged mass launches of different kite types—Deltas, Cellular and so on.

12:30 Team Spectrum—Father and Son team Bryan and Carl Wright with many dual line routines including “One Man—Three Kites”

12:45 The Decorators—The first UK Revolution team with amazing sculptures built with these four line kites—plus synchronised aerial displays.

13:00 Carl Robertshaw—National and International dual line kite champion struts his stuff.

13:15 Team Bolau. Three person team from Spain bring their own style of multi line kite flying to the festival.

13:30 Close Encounters—Husband and wife team Allan and Marilyn Pothecary flying dual line kites to music.

13:45 Children’s Fly—Children are welcome to bring their kites (workshop or other) into the main arena. Children must have an adult with them.

14:00 Air-4-ce—Sports kite team from Holland with synchronised kite flying to music.

14:15 The Decorators—The first UK Revolution team with amazing sculptures built with these four line kites—plus synchronised aerial displays.

14:30 Art Kites—The opportunity to see some of the spectacular and artistic kites from some of our invited guests.

14:45 Team Bolau. Three person team from Spain bring their own style of multi line kite flying to the festival.

15:00 Team Spectrum—Father and Son team Bryan and Carl Wright with many dual line routines including “One Man—Three Kites”

15:15 Mini-Mega Rev—Some of the Revolution Kite teams get together to give a taste of what is to come for the record attempt.

15:30 Women’s Half Hour. Celebrating women kite fliers and kite makers. Men are only allowed as assistants!

16:00 Chris Goff—Showing off the skills involved in Trick Flying with dual line kites. 16:15 The Flying Squad—One of the UK’s leading multi line display teams do their stuff! 16:30 Rokkaku Challenge Japanese style fighting kites battle in the sky for supremacy

16:45 Spirit Fly—these ethereal kites provide a moment to reflect and remember.

17:00 Mega Rev Record Attempt—Can we beat the 2008 record of 47 revolution kites fly- ing in formation?

Sunday:-

10:30 Altitude Sprint—Race against time to be the highest kite in the sky.

10:45 Close Encounters—Husband and wife team Allan and Marilyn Pothecary flying dual line kites to music.

11:00 Art Kites—The opportunity to see some of the spectacular and artistic kites from some of our invited guests.

11:15 The Flying Squad—One of the UK’s leading multi line display teams do their stuff!

11:30 Inflatable Time—All sorts of weird and wonderful inflatable kites. No sticks re- quired!

11:45 Air-4-ce—Sports kite team from Holland with synchronised kite flying to music.

12:00 Mini-Mega Rev—Some of the Revolution Kite teams get together to give a taste of what is to come for the record attempt.

12:15 Chris Goff—Showing off the skills involved in Trick Flying with dual line kites.

12:30 The Decorators—The first UK Revolution team with amazing sculptures built with these four line kites—plus synchronised aerial displays.

12:45 Team Spectrum—Father and Son team Bryan and Carl Wright with many dual line routines including “One Man—Three Kites”

13:00 Team Bolau. Three person team from Spain bring their own style of multi line kite flying to the festival.

13:15 Carl Robertshaw—National and International dual line kite champion struts his stuff.

13:30 Art Kites—The opportunity to see some of the spectacular and artistic kites from some of our invited guests.

13:45 Air-4-ce—Sports kite team from Holland with synchronised kite flying to music.

14:00 Women’s Half Hour. Celebrating women kite fliers and kite makers. Men are only allowed as assistants!

14:30 Inflatable Time—All sorts of weird and wonderful inflatable kites. No sticks re- quired!

14:45 Team Spectrum—Father and Son team Bryan and Carl Wright with many dual line routines including “One Man—Three Kites”

15:00 Children’s Fly—Children are welcome to bring their kites (workshop or other) into the main arena. Children must have an adult with them.

15:15 Team Bolau. Three person team from Spain bring their own style of multi line kite flying to the festival.

15:30 Rokkaku Challenge Japanese style fighting kites battle in the sky for supremacy

15:45 The Decorators—The first UK Revolution team with amazing sculptures built with these four line kites—plus synchronised aerial displays.

16:00 Kite Wave—Open to all kite fliers a series of staged mass launches of different kite types—Deltas, Cellular and so on.

16:15 The Flying Squad—One of the UK’s leading multi line display teams do their stuff!

16:30 Close Encounters—Husband and wife team Allan and Marilyn Pothecary flying dual line kites to music.

16:45 Spirit Fly—these ethereal kites provide a moment to reflect and remember.

17:00 Mega Rev Record Attempt—Can we beat the 2008 record of 47 revolution kites fly- ing in formation or even Saturdays record!

... tough condition for us amateurs as the breeze got up and probably had wrong kite on .. well thats my excuse and Im sticking to it!

You were not the only one on the wrong kite/spars.

Thanks again to everyone who contributed to a great weekend.

I am assured that issues relating to field boundaries and PA will not be a problem if the event goes ahead next year... (I think that it will <grins>)

Book the dates!!!

Felix

I'm enjoying all the photos and videos from afar. Really wish I could've been there. All that nice flat grass sure does look inviting, after a week of loose shifty pelting sand. Maybe this bloody foreigner will get over there one of these years.

The Saturday megafly looked nice and tight! I noticed how closely spaced the grid was, on the ground and in the air. Almost all the flyers were in the frame. (Re criticism of our spacing at WSIKF: I think it was just a product of the original line spacing. When we walked back to a vertical line from the horizontal line, we stayed 8 people apart, horizontally. This year, JB walked all the lines closer together before we began maneuvers.)

Sunday megafly impressive as well, but I could tell something was up with the conditions--decs and flying squad kites never wiggle, so it had to be conditions. And I'm sure most of the others don't wobble either, those were just the ones I recognized. With all the accomplished flyers there, I'm curious who did the calling?

Bravo Brits and Bloody Foreigners! Lifting one to you. :big_beer:

Great mega flying (both days)!! Like Katrina said - fun to watch from afar . . . . but it would be more fun to be there joining in the fun. Looks like we need at least six fliers from this side of the pond to fit into the grid . . . . maybe next year . . . (I can dream anyway).

Nice vids - I got down on sunday but totally lost my kite mojo sad.gif Got soaked in the downpour just after we arrived, then found the megafly practice too involved to butt in at that stage and then broke a line after only 10 mins of flying with K.

Spent the rest of the day enjoying the SLKs instead.. smile.gif

Ant

Edit: My pictures here https://picasaweb.google.com/100996249031831323298/PortsmouthKiteFestival2011#

<snip>

With all the accomplished flyers there, I'm curious who did the calling?

Bravo Brits and Bloody Foreigners! Lifting one to you.

Stephen Hoath (TFS) and David Ellison (Decs) both called during the Sunday 2pm Mega Fly.

Thanks guys!

Felix

Sorry I’ve been a little late checking in but having been away all weekend I though SWMBO may have been a tad put out if I had spent Monday evening on line chatting about it.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for making it such a good weekend, thanks those who put in all the work, (no names you know who you are) and much respect all those who travelled so far to make it a gathering to remember. It’s defiantly a case of the more the merrier.