Portsmouth 2011

Felix

Is there any idea of how many flyers will be present at Portsmouth,and do we have a chance of beating the 64 grid at last years WSIKF

---

- All the best

Daz

I think that we need 25 more fliers in addition to the estimated number that are attending...

Best get out there training them as soon as is possible.

In the meantime the local conditions are causing anxiety here in Hackney as well as in the West End where we shut up shop at work early today.

Felix

I think that we need 25 more fliers in addition to the estimated number that are attending...

Best get out there training them as soon as is possible.

In the meantime the local conditions are causing anxiety here in Hackney as well as in the West End where we shut up shop at work early today.

Felix

That is only five extra fliers from each country.

Take care and stay safe Felix we are watching the news with horror and disbelief.

That is only five extra fliers from each country.

Take care and stay safe Felix we are watching the news with horror and disbelief.

Thanks Vince,

The Debt was transferred from the private sector to the public sector but that did not mean 'it went away'.

Someone still owes a lot of money and the local sentiment may unknowingly reflect the reality.

They may be expensive fliers...

Felix

Last few days for car passes - the list goes in on Friday - after that it will not be possible to issue any passes - so if you want one... We need your name and the vehicle reg number .

Phew, I did get mine, must just remember to print it out...

The Decs have some bits and bobs for the auction from 2 line days. Anyone interested in a TOTL prototype, Rare Air Kites etc.

<grins>

Felix

<snip>

Hi All,

Please see the following message that I have received today. Please let me know how you would like to proceed as a matter of urgency.

Thanks

Felix

'Felix

The council have come back to us and stated that the cost of any PA for the Revolution arena will have to be covered elsewhere and not from the event budget. We have contacted the PA man to see how much it would cost and the response is below.

"Having said that for a basic announcement system we can supply a battery operated system. This equipment we can do without any problem but we do not have any more commentary units available for that weekend. If you can supply a caravan or something to keep equipment in for security next to this arena then we can provide a basic PA with 4 horns, microphone & CD player that runs from a battery for £200.00 + vat for the 3 days. If this is of interest please let me know and I will get it organised."

So, we cannot cover this - run out of money. Do you think the rev fliers will chip in to cover it? If so let us know and we will book it. We need to know by Wednesday at the latest. The security thing above is more a case of somewhere to store the kit overnight - this could be a car boot or dismantle and bring to the main PA caravan. Of course some shelter will be needed in case of inclement weather during the day.

The alternative is the megaphone which the council will supply.

Jon and Gill'

A bit of very rough arithmetic here says if 20 people chip in £10.00 that covers the PA plus another 4 to satisfy the taxman.

But before we all go crazy shouting “I’ll chip in” perhaps we ought to ask, do we need a PA for a practice arena? I don’t question the need for volume, there’s nothing that beats volume as a people wrangling tool and for a large mega-fly to work everybody needs to be able to hear the calls. I would have thought a megaphone would be more than good enough for the practice arena so long as there is a PA in the main arena.

If however, people feel there is a need to go the whole hog, I don’t think £10 is big ask for a weekend’s entertainment and I will be more than happy to chip-in.

On a slightly different note, (apologies for the hi-jack) there was a problem with the 2008 Portsmouth mega-fly and that is a radio head mike for the caller. If we are considering a £240 chip in, I suspect we could buy radio head a mike, outright for the price of a weekends pa hire.

Would any techies out there care to comment?

I reckon that would be a far better investment.

But before we all go crazy shouting "I'll chip in" perhaps we ought to ask, do we need a PA for a practice arena? I don't question the need for volume, there's nothing that beats volume as a people wrangling tool and for a large mega-fly to work everybody needs to be able to hear the calls. I would have thought a megaphone would be more than good enough for the practice arena so long as there is a PA in the main arena.

Ah the delights of multi-channel communication. I replied on Facebook. But to reiterate, I agree 100% with Bob. I'm just not sure of the business case for a PA in the Rev arena. A simple megaphone would suffice for instructions - there's already a PA in the main arena should the group be "booked" for a demonstration megafly. We wouldn't need music (would we?) so a multi-channel PA just sounds over-kill to me. Or have I missed something?

• Like 1

Ah the delights of multi-channel communication. I replied on Facebook. But to reiterate, I agree 100% with Bob. I'm just not sure of the business case for a PA in the Rev arena. A simple megaphone would suffice for instructions - there's already a PA in the main arena should the group be "booked" for a demonstration megafly. We wouldn't need music (would we?) so a multi-channel PA just sounds over-kill to me. Or have I missed something?

Hi Andy,

The multi-channel communication is tedious. Here is my reply to your FB post:-

"That's just fine. I'm not going to try to persuade anyone what might have been possible or even if it would actually be practical.

Looking forward to Portsmouth flying again! The weather forecast looks bright and sunny at the moment... <grins>"

It is not appropriate to rehearse in the main arena and as very few people have flown mega-grid with a 'musical accompaniment' and made anything of it as far as I am aware your question here is pertinent!

Felix

<snip>

I would have thought a megaphone would be more than good enough for the practice arena so long as there is a PA in the main arena.

<snip>

Thanks for you input Bob.

My observation would be that the Revolution Arena should not be viewed as a 'practice arena'.

It should be a place where 30-40 fliers with appropriate kites and lines fly kites together... That opportunity does not exist elsewhere, does it?

We never did get 30-40 Paul Morgan Mega Deltas (sorry Paul, we did try, of course) in any one place and if you look at most events 13-14 (rather than 30-40) is more likely the maximum number of any specific kite exhibited except, of course, for the remarkable work undertaken by the kite workshops at some events. (Wondering if Sue Wardle will be at Portsmouth again this year?)

Felix

Hi Andy,

The multi-channel communication is tedious. Here is my reply to your FB post:-

"That's just fine. I'm not going to try to persuade anyone what might have been possible or even if it would actually be practical.

Looking forward to Portsmouth flying again! The weather forecast looks bright and sunny at the moment... <grins>"

It is not appropriate to rehearse in the main arena and as very few people have flown mega-grid with a 'musical accompaniment' and made anything of it as far as I am aware your question here is pertinent!

Felix

If anything no music is preferable, and as Bob said have ability for the caller to be heard whether that be a radio mic or Mega phone.

The possibility to get 20 plus actually flying for a long period together has got to be the main aim (it's not practice)

No doubt Air-4-Ce, Decs & TFS (will Fusion be there?) will be called to fly in the main arena so they won't always be there. This will also give others a chance to practice calling a team.

You may want to be think about that now, and check out the Mega team Rev moves.

If anything no music is preferable, and as Bob said have ability for the caller to be heard whether that be a radio mic or Mega phone.

The possibility to get 20 plus actually flying for a long period together has got to be the main aim (it's not practice)

No doubt Air-4-Ce, Decs & TFS (will Fusion be there?) will be called to fly in the main arena so they won't always be there. This will also give others a chance to practice calling a team.

You may want to be think about that now, and check out the Mega team Rev moves.

You missed a sublime moment at Sunderland where the fliers got the message... (No Music is banal in my estimation!) You are right, it is not practice, it's doing it for real every time out...

Flying together is the objective. The moving 16 at Long Beach was great. The responses from the top left/right fliers at Sunderland who were asked to call the 180 turns when they had run out of window were just perfect...

Felix

Sorry Felix

I meant no offence with my use of the term “practice arena”, I was trying to avoid resurrecting or taking sides in an earlier dispute, sorry, discussion on this forum. It’s not often that I am accused of sitting on the fence but it looks like even that policy gets me into trouble. :devil:

Clearly, I have missed something here, I thought the point of the “Rev Arena” was for practice, rehearsal and the training and instruction of capable but inexperienced, quad line, pilots in the ways of “The Grid” (see that, I’m still maintaining my impartiality, with one foot in both camps). I was expecting a similar approach to that employed in 2008, building a grid in stages only bringing it together to fly as a whole in the main arena, assort of “prefabricated” mega-fly.

Having read what has been said since my last post, I am now a more than little concerned that with a second pa, others could be see us as a rival festival rather than part of something much bigger and we could end up wearing out our welcome.

Having read what has been said since my last post, I am now a more than little concerned that with a second pa, others could be see us as a rival festival rather than part of something much bigger and we could end up wearing out our welcome.

Hi Bob, it's not unusual to have two PA's at a festival. Lets face it there are a few events where it would be a bonus. More people to hear my dulcet tones !! It's not a rival just part of the same, more to entertain the crowd so the sponsors and council etc love it. Which is a good thing.

As for wearing out our welcome seems to be the complete opposite. Judging by the Portsmouth News, Newspaper report , and having checked the Festival web site if everyone turns up we might just make the numbers.

If you build it they will come....

Fusion will be there. Three definate, but possibly five.

As for wearing out our welcome seems to be the complete opposite. Judging by the Portsmouth News, Newspaper report , and having checked the Festival web site if everyone turns up we might just make the numbers.

If you build it they will come....

We see the Rev Arena as a very special part of the Portsmouth Kite Festival - especially as this year for the first time we have managed to secure a " large separate arena" - after seeing that area empty for so many years - we want the space to be used as much as possible - it's not just a staging area for the main arena.

Sorry Felix

I meant no offence with my use of the term “practice arena”

<snip>

Bob,

No problem at all.

The first time at Portsmouth was un-rehearsed. I think that there is plenty to learn from what was done back then and at subsequent events.

There may very well be occasion to introduce fliers to the grid but the opportunity should be taken by the core fliers to fly at length. There is so much potential but we need to get on and 'do stuff', not just repeat the basics...

Felix

We see the Rev Arena as a very special part of the Portsmouth Kite Festival - especially as this year for the first time we have managed to secure a " large separate arena" - after seeing that area empty for so many years - we want the space to be used as much as possible - it's not just a staging area for the main arena.

Hear Hear !!

This is what makes Portsmouth such a good festival, The World class single line kites for a beautiful backdrop, The World Class Dual line, Quad Line and Single line arena displays. The Quad area can only enhance that, so lets all make sure we keep as many in the sky as we can everyday. Its a chance for so many to fly together.

I'm still hoping to make it down on Sunday - unfortunately family matters have ruled out Saturday. However I'm feeling VERY rusty this year, having barely flown at all aside from our hols in the States in May (and you may have seen how rubbish I was in the iQuad fly-in kid_frustrated.gif ) so I'm tending towards feeling I wouldn't be much use in the mega fly this time...

Ant

Thanks for this clear indication of 'intent'. I hope that all the 'Revolution Fliers' will understand how they can contribute to the overall event.

I'm hoping that we will be able to find a 'sponsor' for the PA by the end of today... "EDIT Sorted but contributions welcome via The Kite Society!"

Felix