Wear Strips

beach

After over 6 months of testing between myself and iQuad we have really looked at wear strips on the B Pros along the spars and have thought this is the way

it shall be.....blue_wink.gif I do this more for the trick flier who is doing many axels and flick flacks and to make the kites last a bit longer, yes longer is better.... Mostly

its because I have seen and had these slices on my own kites and want to cure a problem that is not really a problem, because of the material used in the

Pros and the much more aggressive flying style most of have these days we tend to wear the kites out on the spar line faster and to me this is a problem.

So for $10.00 more these strips will be on the new kites don't moan Bazzer has to make a living too, plus he's good at what he does, this is an upgrade to

a great product making it better.... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

• Like 1

Great idea Ben,

how about a little cover sewn over the elastic knots on the back

, . . . ... triangles, at the bottom?,

then I don't need magic (sissy) sticks to flail aggressively, (with the confidence I won't catch a tip with a line wrap)

here's a sketched example from the Tirips

post-92-130202813311_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I use this transparent tape http://www.chicokite...d&productId=255 in all my kites and it works great!!!

Cheers

Mario

Looks good Mario. I use tape too"Tedlar" on wear areas but I find that anything sticky tends to pick up sand, not stretch at the same rate as the sail cloth and will degrade and peel away over time. Much better to deal with the issue when cutting and sewing the sail in the factory or in this case Bazzers work shop.

• 4 weeks later...

I use this transparent tape http://www.chicokite...d&productId=255 in all my kites and it works great!!!

Cheers

Mario

Is this a problem with only B-Pro sails or with other models too?

While reading the description of this tape it struck me that perhaps the problem is really the surface abrasiveness of the spar. If that is the case, then putting the tape on the spar instead of the kite might be an alternative? This would reduce the likelihood of stretch and dirt problems posted by tommylurvebus earlier for those who use tape. Does this make any sense? -John

P.S. This is a UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene) product.

While reading the description of this tape it struck me that perhaps the problem is really the surface abrasiveness of the spar. If that is the case, then putting the tape on the spar instead of the kite might be an alternative? This would reduce the likelihood of stretch and dirt problems posted by tommylurvebus earlier for those who use tape. Does this make any sense? -John

Just got back from flying - I found a 1 mm hole in my standard B full-sail, in the panel closest to the leading edge mesh, right where the spar crosses :(

I believe its a different material than the B Pros use.....

John Dvoracek and I are on the same wavelength - after I patch my sail, can something be done to the spar to reduce future wear on the sail? confused_1.gif

When this sail does finally break down enough, and I order a B Pro replacement, I will definitely order it with the wear-strips.

I don't think the wear on the sail is caused just by rub from the rods. I think the holes appear because of how the kite loads and unloads. When the sail is pressurized, everything lays back smooth. When the sail is relaxed, it tends to get horizontal folds across the sail. When the flyer gives a pump, the sail goes limp for a second, then is forced back against the rod. Those folds become holes eventually. The wear strips provide a bit more sail and a bot more stiffness in the sail on that section so it doesn't fold and wear as easily,

I don't think the wear on the sail is caused just by rub from the rods. I think the holes appear because of how the kite loads and unloads. When the sail is pressurized, everything lays back smooth. When the sail is relaxed, it tends to get horizontal folds across the sail. When the flyer gives a pump, the sail goes limp for a second, then is forced back against the rod. Those folds become holes eventually. The wear strips provide a bit more sail and a bot more stiffness in the sail on that section so it doesn't fold and wear as easily,

Aha! Thanks for the explanation Watty :)

But, alas, with knowledge comes sorrow..... This leads me to believe that flying in low/no wind is actually tougher on the sail than flying in the higher wind range of any particular frame, due to the constant need to load up the sail mechanically..... Does this sound right?

Well, I guess that would be partially dependent on the flying style of any particular person.... As for myself, while I can make a Rev look like its flying smooth in low/no wind, my giant backward steps and various arm-pulls aren't as smooth against the sail as a decent breeze is.

Aha! Thanks for the explanation Watty :)

But, alas, with knowledge comes sorrow..... This leads me to believe that flying in low/no wind is actually tougher on the sail than flying in the higher wind range of any particular frame, due to the constant need to load up the sail mechanically..... Does this sound right?

Well, I guess that would be partially dependent on the flying style of any particular person.... As for myself, while I can make a Rev look like its flying smooth in low/no wind, my giant backward steps and various arm-pulls aren't as smooth against the sail as a decent breeze is.

Curiously I have never seen such wear and given The Decs long term use of sails I am sceptical!

However, it seems like a simple preventative measure so with a very small weight change it seems sensible. On the Super Vented, of course, it makes complete sense from a simplistic structural 'analysis'.

Felix

i do believe it's not the wind speed or lack there of, it's more about flying aggressively as a pilot. If you're a "yank & spank" styled flier frequently, you'll wear stuff out faster, lines, sails, bridles, whatever.

The factory knows their market and makes adjustments for us as needed. Flailers know their kites will get stress fractures along the lines of the down spars. That happens most frequently to Icarex sails, but we wanted it light and strong until catastrophic failure of the fabric. Everything is compromise someplace! Nylon rip-stop is certainly cheaper to acquire and in some ways more responsive to the needs of kite flier. It has some give and will reform it's previous shape if it gets wet and stretches (there are limits even you should expect!)

Most of my kites have these cracks in the fabric. They still keep a big smile on my face and( if I remember!) I'll order the next replacement ones with the wear strips on 'em.

How about those little "belt-loops" on the bottom of the sail?, (on the back, covering the elastic knots)

Can we request those as well,.... for another ten bucks?

Curiously I have never seen such wear and given The Decs long term use of sails I am sceptical!

However, it seems like a simple preventative measure so with a very small weight change it seems sensible. On the Super Vented, of course, it makes complete sense from a simplistic structural 'analysis'.

Felix

Hmmm, Felix, you got me thinking.... Maybe the bungies at the bottom of the sail aren't tight enough on my Rev.

Felix, are you a stickler for making sure the sail is taught, right from setup?

I'd like to think my sail is taught enough, but after 3 months of flying, and the fact I'm fairly new to the Rev, maybe its time for a checkup on the bungies.

I'm thinking maybe my sail is vertically loose, and then the explanation Watty gave would make even more sense. It would wrinkle more easily, vertically, if the bungies were loose.

<snip> i do believe it's not the wind speed or lack there of, it's more about flying aggressively as a pilot. If you're a "yank & spank" styled flier frequently, you'll wear stuff out faster, lines, sails, bridles, whatever. <snip>

:):lol:;):)

i do believe it's not the wind speed or lack there of, it's more about flying aggressively as a pilot. If you're a "yank & spank" styled flier frequently, you'll wear stuff out faster, lines, sails, bridles, whatever.

The factory knows their market and makes adjustments for us as needed. Flailers know their kites will get stress fractures along the lines of the down spars. That happens most frequently to Icarex sails, but we wanted it light and strong until catastrophic failure of the fabric. Everything is compromise someplace! Nylon rip-stop is certainly cheaper to acquire and in some ways more responsive to the needs of kite flier. It has some give and will reform it's previous shape if it gets wet and stretches (there are limits even you should expect!)

Most of my kites have these cracks in the fabric. They still keep a big smile on my face and( if I remember!) I'll order the next replacement ones with the wear strips on 'em.

How about those little "belt-loops" on the bottom of the sail?, (on the back, covering the elastic knots)

Can we request those as well,.... for another ten bucks?

I think that is exactly right.

Hmmm, Felix, you got me thinking.... Maybe the bungies at the bottom of the sail aren't tight enough on my Rev.

Felix, are you a stickler for making sure the sail is taught, right from setup?

I'd like to think my sail is taught enough, but after 3 months of flying, and the fact I'm fairly new to the Rev, maybe its time for a checkup on the bungies.

I'm thinking maybe my sail is vertically loose, and then the explanation Watty gave would make even more sense. It would wrinkle more easily, vertically, if the bungies were loose.

I would not recommend that absolute beginners tighten the bungees as I am sure that the bungees need to be effective as shock absorbers if the kite is hitting the ground hard.

Then it is a case of making sure that the tension is equal and 'not too tight'. Our 'rule of thumb' is that the cap just clears the top of the spar without excessive strain! <grins>

I have heard of, but not seen or experienced 'blown out' sails. The amount of 'billow' does seem to affect the handling of the kite but I would not claim to understand the aerodynamics...

Felix

Thanks Felix!

I appreciate the advice!

So nice to be able to get advice from folks who've "been around the block" a few times with their Revs - I love this forum :)

Glad to be of help but it is interesting that I am relaying advice received so long ago, aka Lee Sedgwick!

Felix

Hi Ben,

Are these "compulsory" mods? Given a choice, could I opt for future BPros not to come with these vertical strips? Just curious as I still prefer the look of the kite without the vertical strips.

Thanks

Darryl

Hi Darryl,

The Standard B Series Pros will all have these strips on them.

They are not on Mids or Vented.

If you wish for your kite not to have wear strips please make it known on your order.

I will more than happily make you a kite that will wear out quicker.

Bazzer

• Like 1

Hi Darryl,

The Standard B Series Pros will all have these strips on them.

They are not on Mids or Vented.

If you wish for your kite not to have wear strips please make it known on your order.

I will more than happily make you a kite that will wear out quicker.

Bazzer

you are sooooooooooo funny!

see you this weekend! :)

hugs,

t