Wildwoods International Kite Festival!

Hi everyone,

Well, it’s that time of year again – while this initial communication is a bit later than normal – to begin the buzz about this year’s Wildwoods International Kite Festival!

As always, festivities will officially begin on Fri, May 27 and continue through Mon, May 30, though there’s always something going on for the few days prior to & post of the event.

Our host hotel has remained the same, The Oceanic, and can be reached at 609 522 6500. Make your reservations early for the best availability noting that rates have not increased from last year!

The registration form should be completed in a week or so and when it is, I’ll be sure to make another post to advise. Keep checking back as I post periodically to share some of the goings-on for this year.

As always, I look forward to seeing you there!

Warmly,

Beatrix

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone,

Here's a couple of updates for you! . . .

* this year's theme is "Movie Great's", i.e, movie stars, characters or a movie as a whole, so be sure to get dressed up as your favorite Movie Great for the banquet!;

* one of our guests this year is Sam and Cari King from Washington who will be facilitating two workshops - one in the a.m. for kite flyers and another in the p.m. for the general public. Be sure to stay tuned for times and workshop descriptions so you can join in! Sam and Cari are coming to you via a joint sponsorship between the South Jersey Kite Flyers and Sky Festival Productions.

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Warmly,

Beatrix

Hi folks,

Here are a few updates for you . . .

Re registration:

Without further adieu, attached please find the registration form for this year’s festival! The registration form will also be posted on the Sky Festivals web site soon (technical difficulties are preventing me from posting it immediately) and is being sent to all of the east coast kite clubs. PLEASE NOTE, the pre event deadline date for me to receive your completed registration form is Saturday, May 14.

Re large inflatable kites:

Mike Agner has once again graciously accepted the role as Field Coordinator for the large kite field (special thanks to Dave Gomberg for stepping in to Mike’s role last minute last year). While Mike will be reaching out to those he knows will be in attendance, please feel free to contact him directly via email at [email protected] to begin communications on this year’s theme, what you’ll be flying, etc. Safety and having a great time is our first concern. Thanks Mike!

Re what’s new this year:

Scott Koenig will be facilitating a new event this year, an Indoor Mega Fly! There will be practice sessions throughout the weekend with a performance on Monday following the World Indoor Kite Competition. A description is included on the registration form as is a check box / line for you to select your desire to participate. Participation is at no charge. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Scott directly at [email protected]. Thank you Scott!

Until the next update, be well and let the count down begin!

Warmly,

Beatrix

WIKF 11 Reg Form.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Well, we’re three weeks away (gulp!) from the event and here are a few updates . . .

* the purpose of the “Learn To Fly” field has been for newbie’s to obtain instruction on learning how to properly fly a kite (and help to keep our sport alive). It has been a bit of a struggle to man that field and has primarily fallen on the manufacturer’s reps. I am reaching out to all of you to see if anyone is interested in assisting with this aspect this year. Coverage is needed on Sat & Sun only from approximately 9:00am – 4:00pm. It can be for as short or long of a time as you’d like and any time you can give would be very much appreciated. Please email me directly at [email protected] if you can spare some time.

* NEW to this year’s “Movie Greats” themed banquet, in place of a short movie presentation we will be engaging all of you in a Movie Greats game! No worries, we’re not going to make you get up in front of the crowd and do something silly, though you will need to network within the crowd and exercise your memory!

* field usage for the Rev flyers will be the same as last year; your flying day will begin in Field 2 (center East field) while activities are taking place in Field 1 (center West field). The second half of the day the Rev flyers will have Field 1. Please consult the on-site program in your registration packet OR check with the sound tent to see when the exact time for switching fields will take place each day (as of this moment, it’s around the 12:30pm time frame).

* while the registration form does not state so and with regards to those participating in the ECSKC, please note that we have added the competition category OMPB. If you would like to participate in this event, please write it in on the registration form being sure to include your partners name. The cost is $15 and only one of the pairs needs to pay. Day and time of category TBD on site.

Well, that’s it for now though I’m sure as we get closer there will be some more news. I hope you’re all doing well and I look forward to seeing you soon! Woo-hoo, let’s start getting those kite bags packed!!!

Hi all,

I’m pleased to report to you a couple of additional exciting things that are taking place this year! . . .

One of the true pleasures of the weekend is seeing kids and their parents participate in the Running of the Bols – it’s always great to watch and get a laugh from. Well, now you too can participate – just as the ECSKC has had the club “cup” bragging rights, new and up for grabs this year is club bragging rights for the Running of the Bols – Kite Club!

The event will take place on both Sat & Sun and at this moment in time is scheduled for 12:30pm each day on Field 1 (immediately preceded by the Running of the Bols – Kids and Running of the Bols – Adults). Thom McAdams of SJKF is spearheading & facilitating this event – thanks Thom! – and his plan is to have a measured course with about four individuals per heat from different clubs racing at the same time, for each of the two days. Times will be kept as well as whom crosses the finish line first. At the end of Sun’s race, each clubs times and what place each club has taken will be tallied and the “bragging rights” as well as a certificate will be awarded. Please note, the race is open to individuals near / over the age of 18 (no young kids, please) and is free of charge.

I know there are plenty of clubs out there who attend the event and it would be a blast to see you all participate – and who knows, if I get a chance to breathe, you might just find me participating in the race. Hmmmm, who else can we coax to get on board???!!! Let the club team building begin; get your Bol game on, and may the best club win!

One of the most amazing things to catch every year is the Fri night kite show. This year we’ll be stepping it up just a bit with the addition of Nocturnal Sports, a “Nite Kite” company who will be on the field with us with their lighted kites. Nocturnal Sports’ Nite Kites incorporates state of the art lightweight illuminated light strips installed directly on the kite. There is no need for clip on LED lights or the use of a spotlight or strobes. Along with all of the other night kite flyers, this year’s night fly promises to be even more spectacular!

Lastly, don’t forget to get those registration forms in, we’re less than two weeks away from the event and they must be mailed by this Saturday, May 14 for pre-registration!

Thanks so much everyone and we’ll see you very soon!!!

It pains me very deeply to say that I probably won't be there. bye2.gif

I have had the perfect storm of obstacles in my way this year. For starters my coworker's baby is due that weekend and I cannot request off. Secondly, I've had to put a lot of money into my car in recent months that I did not have in the first place. I could keep going... WAH!

I think at this point I need to be saving my pennies for either Liberty in July and/or Nationals in Wildwood in September. To say that I will be an unhappy camper this Memorial Day weekend and missing you all terribly will be an understatement.

It pains me very deeply to say that I probably won't be there. bye2.gif

I have had the perfect storm of obstacles in my way this year. For starters my coworker's baby is due that weekend and I cannot request off. Secondly, I've had to put a lot of money into my car in recent months that I did not have in the first place. I could keep going... WAH!

I think at this point I need to be saving my pennies for either Liberty in July and/or Nationals in Wildwood in September. To say that I will be an unhappy camper this Memorial Day weekend and missing you all terribly will be an understatement.

That saddens me greatly my friend please let me know if I can be off help in any way...... Ben call me please 619-750-8770

Ok it's less than two weeks away, who's going?

I know of Rich, Sammy, Big Al, Wen, Steve Polansky, and myself.

Who else?

-Alden

Wayne & Barb will be there!ani_yahoo.gif

Carolyn,

Very sorry to see you won't be there. Hopefully our paths will cross another time this year.

Hi All...

Alden..... you can put me on your list of:

"Ok it's less than two weeks away, who's going?

I know of Rich, Sammy, Big Al, Wen, Steve Polansky, and myself.

Who else?"

I'll only be there for Friday and Saturday, though..... the knee can't take it :(kid_cussing.gifcensored.gif

That saddens me greatly my friend please let me know if I can be off help in any way...... Ben

Thank You, Ben. It's reallllly hard for me to admit defeat in these kinds of situations. It just seems like one thing after another this year.

Wayne: I'm already trying to figure out what I can make next so that I can fly with you all. I'm really sorry to let y'all down. :(

No me either...the tiny little beach in Ocean City was hard enough on my knee; I can't imagine trying to make my way around the Wildwood sand, and there are other events this season to which I need to be able to go!

I think this will be the third Wildwood I've missed since '92.

So far that's

Alden

Rich

Sammy

Big Al

Steve Polansky

Steve Rovida

Wayne

Barb

Laura

Paul

The Other Paul

Never Ben Paul

Laura

And no Carolyn :angry:

Hi Alden....

Major bummer about Carolyn :( ....will miss you not being there, Carolyn....maybe for one day? I'd help you with some gas $$... if that could change your mind!

No me either...the tiny little beach in Ocean City was hard enough on my knee; I can't imagine trying to make my way around the Wildwood sand, and there are other events this season to which I need to be able to go!

I think this will be the third Wildwood I've missed since '92.

Hi Jeff...

How's everything?

I soooooooooo understand your choice to spare your knee from Wildwood's beach. That is my dilemma, too! I still haven't recovered from O.C. My knee is sooooo swollen and painful that My doc is trying to get the surgery done next week; if not, it will be done the end of June. Until it's fixed, I can't and won't push it unless it's an absolute must!

All the best-

You can add these names to your list ! We're coming down! 12 hour drive from montreal YES!

Jessica

Dominic

Veronique

JP

Normand

And a Sylvain, his first time in wildwood!

And of course our single line friend André too.

You can add these names to your list ! We're coming down! 12 hour drive from montreal YES!

Jessica

Dominic

Veronique

JP

Normand

Yay for the Canadia Land people ..... wohooooo

Jessica

Dominic

Veronique

JP

Normand

YUP!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!