Mystery Photos

johnnmitchell

Hi John, thats easy those kites are Revolution kites !!! Easy Easy Easy

The kites are REV 1.5 SLE Mylar.

The team is Watnu from Germany.

Watnu is more famously known for their dual line team. They have competed at four of the five of World Sport Kite competitions. Their best placing was third in 2005.

I ran across these three photos in my very old files of 1996. I don't really recall receiving them, but I vaguely suspect that a friend in Japan might have sent them to me.

The photos have a file date of 5 December 1996.

The four REVs look like a; REV I vented(probably self modified), REV I, probably a pre REV 1.5 and a REV II.

Then there is a photo each for the REV I vented and the pre-REV 1.5.

Does anyone have any clues about these photos

post-41-1203892942.jpg

post-41-1203893024_thumb.jpg

post-41-1203893230.jpg

• 1 month later...
Are the rev's photoshopped onto the image? (if not, I apologize)

Absolutely Correct! It was not done as well as I could do it today.

The REVs were from a sunny day photo taken in February 2007 at Kite Party 5. This photo was made with digital DSLR camera..

The background sunset is real and was photographed at Mission Bay in San Diego in October 2003. This was originally a film photo made with a SLR camera using the film Fuji Sensia 200.

The Photoshop version used was CS2. I now use Photoshop CS3 extended.

Absolutely Correct! It was not done as well as I could do it today.

The REVs were from a sunny day photo taken in February 2007 at Kite Party 5. This photo was made with digital DSLR camera...

The tip off to me was that the lighting is wrong. The Rev's color probably wouldn't have been discernable in that kind of light. Neat pic regardless! :)

The word photos?

Yep!

Here's an easy one:

post-1987-1207680106_thumb.jpg

It caught my earlier in the Gallery! Something did not seem right.

I suspect that the REV was layered on top of the back ground and then the lines were added in.

Amongst other minuet things, the upper right line is going to high to be attached to the bridle.

Very well done indeed!

Yep!

It caught my earlier in the Gallery! Something did not seem right.

I suspect that the REV was layered on top of the back ground and then the lines were added in.

Amongst other minuet things, the upper right line is going to high to be attached to the bridle.

Very well done indeed!

It's 3 photos- the rainbow was inconveniently off-camera, so I moved it over. The RevII was taken earlier in the day at another field with a dull, grey sky for a background, and very easy to select, lines and all. It was being flown on 30' lines, so the perspective might look like the lines aren't right, but they were not drawn in.

Here's the original of the RevII, lines and all:

post-1987-1207715238_thumb.jpg

Done with Photoshop Elements 2.0

It's 3 photos- the rainbow was inconveniently off-camera, so I moved it over. The RevII was taken earlier in the day at another field with a dull, grey sky for a background, and very easy to select, lines and all. It was being flown on 30' lines, so the perspective might look like the lines aren't right, but they were not drawn in.

Here's the original of the RevII, lines and all:

post-1987-1207715238_thumb.jpg

Done with Photoshop Elements 2.0

I was questioning the rainbow, but it really did look real.

Absolutely excellent!

You would be amazed what you can do with PS CS3.

Time ;) for a new Mystery.

Anyone can tell who are on this pic ?

(hint: the fourth person took the pic.)

The location is definitely Berck sur Mer France, probably during this last week.

The team is Team Time Out from The Netherlands.

The team members are:

Alard van den Bos

Marc van der Graaf

Ruud de Haas

Linda de Haas

Who is where when in the photo is a good guess as they are too far away.

I would presume that Lynda might be the smaller person in the photo and not behind the camera.

The REV is one of your team special vented REVs.

Time ;) for a new Mystery.

Anyone can tell who are on this pic ?

(hint: the fourth person took the pic.)

The mesh on that kite looks different from the material that I've seen on Revs. Some power kites have used a similar mesh on their intakes.

I wonder if it would be more durable?

The mesh on that kite looks different from the material that I've seen on Revs. Some power kites have used a similar mesh on their intakes.

I wonder if it would be more durable?

My guess is that it would not be as brittle as the mesh used on the REV, which is fiberglass based. However, I suspect that it might tend to stretch more. I used a very light white mesh in the LE on my SSUL white REV(has the Indian girl). It does stretch a small amount, but that really does not matter as it is a zero to low-wind kite. That mesh I purchased at the kite shop Luftpirat in Hamburg. The shop is closed now, but I think they still have an internet shop. Watch out for the mesh you might see at the local fabric stores. It is way too delicate.

It might be a mystery to some of you how I created the zoom version of this panoramic photo.

The panorama is 360 degrees and is made up of 14 individual 10 MB digital photos.

The quality of this photo is greatly reduced at only 94KB, however there is a version of the panorama

at: http://johnnmitchell.load4.net/SDKM200804-Pano4.html

that you can pan and zoom into with considerably higher quality.

It took a fairly powerful computer with gigs of memory to create it. Even then the pano had to be created in two parts and then pieced together.

post-41-1208074883_thumb.jpg

It might be a mystery to some of you how I created the zoom version of this panoramic photo.

The panorama is 360 degrees and is made up of 14 individual 10 MB digital photos.

The quality of this photo is greatly reduced at only 94KB, however there is a version of the panorama

at: http://johnnmitchell.load4.net/SDKM200804-Pano4.html

that you can pan and zoom into with considerably higher quality.

It took a fairly powerful computer with gigs of memory to create it. Even then the pano had to be created in two parts and then pieced together.

John

My Olympus C-3000 has panorama capability. It uses up to 11 photos at whatever resolution you choose. The software that came with the camera stitches the photos together seamlessly. If you use all eleven, you end up where you started in the circle, and it stitches the right side of the last photo to the left side of the first photo and when displayed, you are standing in the middle. You can pan from side to side, or around and around in a circle. The circular panoramas are displayed using Quicktime.

Neat stuff.

• 2 weeks later...