Lineset strength and wind speed?

John146

I have a vented Rev 1 with 4 wraps and 3 wraps and a vented B Series and mid vented B Series with race rods as well as the 3 and 4 wrap rods. I know the kites can handle higher wind speeds but I'm wonder if my 90# lines are strong enough.

Do I need to get 150# or 200# linesets so that they don't break when the wind is kicking? I have a nice 90# 120' LPG lineset but I'd hate to break the lineset. I try not to fly in more than 14 mph (according to weather.com) because that seems like the kite is really pulling in that kind of wind.

If the sail is flexing way more than usual, your lines are whistling and you need to use strength to apply brakes .... it's time to move to 150# or a more vented kite.

If your vented B with 4 wraps are bending more than they should then a stronger lineset will keep you flying, but also put more stress on your kite. Just because it CAN be done doesn't mean it SHOULD be done sometime ;)

Since I can't justify the expense of an Xtra Vent given my skill level and times that I need it, I have a vented B2 arriving shortly and plan to see how much higher than a B one can reasonably take that. My guess-timate is that on 150# line I will be happy taking it to somewhere between 30-38 mph without doubling up the frame. You can double up on the leading edge but I think when you get to those levels it's time for a nice cup of tea while you watch things getting blown into cars :)

Just my $0.02, your mileage may vary...

I have a vented Rev 1 with 4 wraps and 3 wraps and a vented B Series and mid vented B Series with race rods as well as the 3 and 4 wrap rods. I know the kites can handle higher wind speeds but I'm wonder if my 90# lines are strong enough.

Do I need to get 150# or 200# linesets so that they don't break when the wind is kicking? I have a nice 90# 120' LPG lineset but I'd hate to break the lineset. I try not to fly in more than 14 mph (according to weather.com) because that seems like the kite is really pulling in that kind of wind.

Bob

If you don't have a SLE frame try one on your vented. I flew this frame on a 1.5FV/85'-90# in 15+ and really liked it, didn't seem to overpower things..

Bob, If your wind speeds are in the 14mph range I wouldn't see too much need for more than 90# and 200# is way overkill, especially with 3 kites to choose from and a ton of frames.

If this is truly your wind range, then any of the full vented kites should be able to handle that much wind!! :) My question would be, 'Are you adjusting at your leaders on the handles to accommodate the wind speed?"! You can really feel a change in your kites behavior as you adjust for different wind conditions!!! There is no one perfect, fly every time setting on your leaders, there may be a starting point, but you should adjust as needed!!!:) You said you have a "B", do you have the handles that come with it??? There are lots of other posts describing them on this forum, don't be afraid to try new stuff!!!!:)

PS: 90# should handle this wind speed with no problem!!!

I have the handles for the B series and I'm okay with adjusting the leaders. What do you think the upper wind speed range would be based on what I have? The wind is really blowing over 20 mph and I'd be nervous. Should I be?

It's really a matter of comfort when it gets that strong!! confused_1.gif A full vent with 4 wrap should be ok, IMO, but if you're in doubt, add a second LE to the kite for protection!!:)Over 20 mph is starting to get to decision time!!! Watching your LE and monitoring the amount of flex is the key!! Too much and it'll pull you all over, not a bad thing if that's what floats yer boat, too little and no power for control!!! I used to fly my unvented Rev 1 in ridiculous winds, didn't know any better, it survived OK!! The kite sails and rods are so strong, they'll absorb more abuse than expected!!! Watch and listen to your kite, it'll tell you what it needs!!:)

It's really a matter of comfort when it gets that strong!! confused_1.gif A full vent with 4 wrap should be ok, IMO, but if you're in doubt, add a second LE to the kite for protection!!:)Over 20 mph is starting to get to decision time!!! Watching your LE and monitoring the amount of flex is the key!! Too much and it'll pull you all over, not a bad thing if that's what floats yer boat, too little and no power for control!!! I used to fly my unvented Rev 1 in ridiculous winds, didn't know any better, it survived OK!! The kite sails and rods are so strong, they'll absorb more abuse than expected!!! Watch and listen to your kite, it'll tell you what it needs!!:)

I would agree that if it starts to feel 'uncomfortable' it is probably time to stop.

If the sail is being stretched or the spars overstressed it will not be comfortable. Why take the risk especially if you have no previous experience?

At the other extreme, as in light wind flying, the equivalent situation is somewhat easier to deal with. There will be no 'feel' for the control issues and so 'flying the kite' will not be possible <grins>

Felix

Sounds good! I was nervous about flying in ballistic wind (anything over 14 mph from weather.com) because I was afraid of breaking something or breaking a lineset. I feel better about it now.

I flew my Rev I standard today at lunch. The snow is all gone, the astro turf soccer/football field was warm and dry. The air temp was 41 degrees but the field was warmer from the sun. The forecast said 14 mph but it had to be less - I'm thinking less than 10 mph. Even though it was a little gusty I worked on holding the kite in position and rotating around the tips. Good times! The season begins!

Latecomer!!!kid_devlish.gif Flying whenever the weather allows!!! See the video, Ice Kings, we were flying on New Years Day!!!! Seriously, enjoy it any time!!!smile.gif

I've been trying to find that video again for weeks and don't know how to get to it.

I've been trying to find that video again for weeks and don't know how to get to it.

Type "Ice Kings video" in the search box at the top right under the header!! Page 3, entry 13, unless there is something between now and the time you view it!!:) We had a great time that day!!!:)

Now switch to 120' in that same wind!!!!:) Completely different !!! Or 80', every length has it's challenges!!:lol: Because I don't get to use my 120' set that often, things feel so different!! Who'd a thunk line length had so much effect on kite performance??!!:) Or pilot feel??!!

In the fall of 2009 (I think) at the Outer Banks Stunt Kite Comp., we had a rain delay day. So we all got out our vented Revs, wind kicking to 35 MPH and everyone was on 90#! The only issue was stretching the top lines after 4 hours of fly time.

Next day, same wind, the only fliers with issues were the dualies with their 150# lines - most busted either their lines or their bridles.

The vented Revs can take a ton of wind on 90# - just make sure your frame set is strong enough!

Cath

My line strategy is. On light winds up to about 5 or mph I use 50#. No sag in the lines for more instantaneous response. This is usuall a full sail 1.5 or Zen. Above that I use 90# and just increase the venting. Full Vent up about 35 or 40 works. Above 20 new Rev Thong would be best.

I hate line sag.

John

PS: Indoor or short line outdoor 90# for line handling.

For me, I use 90# on everything for every wind condition, indoor, outdoor, high wind, low wind, no wind.... - except my Sonic, Shockwave & blast series. Those start at 150# for the Speed and go up from there for the power series.

For me 90s on all my single REVs except my indoor where I normally use 50s.