Kite Staking

fortflyer

I was just wondering if dog staking caused extra wear on the kite strings. I've had the same set of quad lines for about 4 years now and I was unsure if the increased friction between the strings and surface cause the strings to wear faster.

I would appreciate any advice possible from John or anyone experienced at dog staking.

Thanks,

McKenzie

Well I suppose it must, to a degree, but with ceramic inserts to the rings, or even just a highly polished metal surface, I would imagine it would be considerably less wearing than a couple of twists - which is happening much of the time you're flying. So I wouldn't think it was a problem.

My stake puts a TON of wear on my lines... On a good run, I hopefully get anywhere from 10-25 hours out of a set of lines on dogstake.

Yeah, it's a high "churn and burn" rate... But golly, dogstake is SO worth it. ;)

Thanks for answering that John I was meaning to ask that very question.

I think I'm going to try my idea of a pair of sealed rollers guaranteed to not bind I'll keep you updated.

I finally got all of the materials prepared and was ready to weld the fishing eyelets to the U-bolt when the wleder told me that the welding would cause the plastic lining to melt out. He saved the lining buy enclosing the wnds in a cold water soaked rag. You may want to enclose that in your request.

I just got the stuff back today and hopefully I can give it a try tomorrow. Wish me luck. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it. I'll probably be asking to technique tips by tomorrow.

-McKenzie

dogstakeing a power blast now that would be cool ... i whink the kite would pull the stake out of the ground so youll want something bigger

As long as you dont lock in the power and do it on the edge of the window I think its doable.

• 1 month later...

Got hankerin to try dog-staking so went out and set up this little rig.

Takes some careful rigging at set up but works sweet once done.

Man it seems to take a bit to get your head around flyin that way though.

Pics are of my mate Col flyin my vented b-series.

(apologies for the quality - only had my phone with me :) )

post-1758-1189073642_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1189073661_thumb.jpg

post-1758-1189073677_thumb.jpg

Hi John, this set up looks very similar to what Dave Brittain used, and that always seemed fine. I think he mentioned to me about not having all lines go into one pulley as that caused some binding. And as long as you are using long lines, then the length of the lines will help prevent lines jumping onto the axle of the pulley. Due to the angle at which they approach the pulley.

Another option if not using pulleys is to use Nylon or some similar low friction material, in rings. I 've seen fishing rod rings used, they have a ceramic ring, you can get them in a big size which works.

Not been much call for this since STACK cancelled innovation as a class many years ago...

The last rig I saw Brittain on was made using four ceramic rings, vaguely similar to the rig I use now (except I only have 2).

There's another thread on this topic somewhere here. ;)

1stly apologies for not reading earlier posts - (fishing rings) DOH!

2nd,ly I have seen a four line rig with 4 pulleys side by side, if it wasn't Dave I'm now trying to remember who it might have been??? Each line went into a seperate pulley.

Having said that the pulley rug above is SWEET!

Off topic have you tried Rev & Rad (or similar), Rev from the hands Rad from waist, Rev on shorter lines than Rad. Scott Augenbaugh, did this at Bristol in 91, looked very cool and it's fairy easy. Rad's are good as they are nice and slow.

Sweet!!! I've been considering a rig that like that with pulleys, but worried about a line jumping into the space on either side of the pulley.

Experiences so far?

Only had 2 sessions so far and the first was really just sorting out the rig. The second session of about 2 hours with the rig sorted with Col's help, was a hoot!

The pulleys I selected sit almost flush on the side on the side plate so I'm hoping that won't be an issue.

What was surprising was just how hard the pulleys work. We left the session thinking "no need for mods.....yet"

It would have been easier if there was a "clip in system for the lines instead of having to thread them but figure it may be easier and better to dedicate a set of lines to this and just leave the whole rig set up with lines already threaded.

It would have been easier if there was a "clip in system for the lines instead of having to thread them but figure it may be easier and better to dedicate a set of lines to this and just leave the whole rig set up with lines already threaded.

I've run into the same issues myself.

Hi Guy's & Gals,

I am new to the site, and have had my RevII for 6 years, plus my other kites(delta's and power kites for over 10 years) and i have just purchased my first Rev 1.5 SLE,(i know i will be buying more) and have only managed to fly it once, but i am off this weekend for some flying time.

When i saw JB's little red riding hood i had to watch it several time's, and now i will be looking to make a rig for Stake flying.

Will keep you updated when i have it sorted.

Got hankerin to try dog-staking so went out and set up this little rig.

Takes some careful rigging at set up but works sweet once done.

Man it seems to take a bit to get your head around flyin that way though.

Pics are of my mate Col flyin my vented b-series.

(apologies for the quality - only had my phone with me :) )

That looks excellent very similar to what I've been stirring in my mind the last few months, only difference is I'm thinking of just 2 pulley's and I'm still looking for the recessed rollers to avoid lines getting between the side casing and the pulley.

Those are a nice size and I'm betting lines will last indefinite using that set up, man if I could only find those in the recessed version I think you have a winner there.

• 7 months later...

Hi Guys,

I found this cool double pulley that has swiveling side plates that will eliminate having to thread each line through the pulleys.

And its $34.00

post-2101-1208717052_thumb.png