Hello from NC

Lee

We met yesterday, Reef Runner was very knowledgeable and even though we didn't get the kite in the air it was still a good learning experience. He taught me one important thing that is Line Management. It made it a breeze to put everything together today and get in the air, well for the few seconds it was up. Yep you guessed it crashed and burned but I will get there.

Well Lee, I hope you don't mean that literally (the part about burning) ! confused_1.gif

Anyway, what a bummer, Saturday turned out to be, and I really hate it for Lee, but, better days will come ! cool.gif

For you that may be interested in Lee's first outing, he did great !

He got to hold to, a limp set of flight lines, for an hour or more.

We waited & waited, we shifted around, we waited, we shifted around, oh, and then we waited some more.

Finally, it became apparent, this just isn't going to happen, today ! angry.gif

As might be expected, the day before, Friday, we had sustained winds, 30 - 40 mph, all day long (yeah, I know, way too much) huh.gif

The day after, Sunday, we had beautiful weather again, warm & sunny, with winds, 8 - 12 mph (perfect) smile.gif

But what happens on Saturday, the day of Lee's debut, the day that he moves over to the "Dark Side" ???

You guessed it ! Maybe 0 - 3 out of the SW, averaging maybe somewhere around 1.5 mph, and shifting wacko.gif

So, not to be out done, we did put the time to good use. In addition to probably confusing Lee, even more than he already was (as we all were, on that first day), we did talk extensively, about "Line Management" and "Assembly/Disassembly", so the day wasn't a complete bust. I'm really glad to hear, that this apparently paid off, on his next outing................cool.gif

Hang in there Lee...............it will all make sense one day, and things will come together !!!! ani_idea.gif (and don't forget - ask questions)

Maybe we can get together again one day soon, when the winds want to cooperate tongue.gif

Ok everyone, Lee and I went flying again today! Guess what? WE HAD WIND TODAY !!! and I want everyone to know, than after a little coaxing, and a little coaching, this guy can now, FLY !! Yep, we had wind, and we flew for about 4 - 5 hours, and by the time we were done, Lee was doing great ! After a few hours, we actually took the the SLE rods out, and put in the 1/4" 3-wrap LE rods, and it was like a whole new kite, and most of all, a whole new Lee !! He did so good, so please, everyone welcome Lee over to the "Dark Side". He has digressed !! kid_devlish.gif

Hi, all. I just got into flying quads and I took my new Revs out for a spin yesterday at lake crabtree in raleigh. Got some tips from some more experienced flyers, and we even tried some very, very basic formation flying. It looks so easy on youtube! :-)

I'll hope to meet some of you soon and swap tips about Revs and where to fly them in central NC. Crabtree is a great spot, but only when the wind is coming from the right directions. I've tried a few times at a soccer field near where I work, but had a lot of trouble. Sometimes I can fly lightweight duals there, though, so maybe I just need some experience in light and choppy wind to keep the revs in the air.

-Tim

Hi, all. I just got into flying quads and I took my new Revs out for a spin yesterday at lake crabtree in raleigh. Got some tips from some more experienced flyers, and we even tried some very, very basic formation flying. It looks so easy on youtube! :-)

I'll hope to meet some of you soon and swap tips about Revs and where to fly them in central NC. Crabtree is a great spot, but only when the wind is coming from the right directions. I've tried a few times at a soccer field near where I work, but had a lot of trouble. Sometimes I can fly lightweight duals there, though, so maybe I just need some experience in light and choppy wind to keep the revs in the air.

-Tim

Do you know Kip by any chance because we meet yesterday and he was talking about a couple guys flying out there. Me and Nick(Reef Runner) have been meeting in louisburg at the Wal-Mart and next time we meet up we wouldn't mine having more people come fly, the more the merrier. We ain't pros but nick can help you with anything.

Sent from my etch-a-sketch

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Yep, we (NCREVR, nckiter, & Reef Runner) had a great time yesterday, with great wind, and we've got a wide wide open spot there in Louisburg, where the wind is perfect from all directions, except due North...............We would love for you to join us there. It's right on the left side of 401, as you enter Louisburg from Raleigh. I'm coming from up near the VA line, near Kerr Lake, so I come in from the opposite direction, and Lee comes from another direction, and Kip comes from Apex, but the flying spot is well worth the drive. We've got parking, restaurants, gas stations, Wal-mart, & other important facilities (if you know what I mean), right within walking distance of the flight field.......come join us...............nick

Do you know Kip by any chance because we meet yesterday and he was talking about a couple guys flying out there. Me and Nick(Reef Runner) have been meeting in louisburg at the Wal-Mart and next time we meet up we wouldn't mine having more people come fly, the more the merrier. We ain't pros but nick can help you with anything.

I didn't meet a Kip yesterday, but I flew various quads with four other guys yesterday (not to mention a couple skilled dual-line pilots). No idea there were so many kite flyers around here. Louisburg is a bit of a hike from my place in Durham but I'll hope to get out that way sometime soon. Let's stay in touch -- maybe I can bring the Crabtree posse for a road trip.

-Tim

I didn't meet a Kip yesterday, but I flew various quads with four other guys yesterday (not to mention a couple skilled dual-line pilots). No idea there were so many kite flyers around here. Louisburg is a bit of a hike from my place in Durham but I'll hope to get out that way sometime soon. Let's stay in touch -- maybe I can bring the Crabtree posse for a road trip.

-Tim

Tim,

Kip was with us in Lousiburg yesterday. It's a trek for all of us, but we tried to pick a central location, that would be about the same for us all. That's why we picked Louisburg. None of us are from there, we just go there to fly, because it's a central location. cool.gif

NCREVR - Lee

nckiter - Kip

Reef Runner - Nick

Hey Tim, Go put yourself on the Member Map. You'll then be able to see me, Kip, & Lee, plus yourself. Then you'll see that Louisburg is basically in the middle of us. That's why we go there. You are actually closer to Louisburg than Kip or Lee, and maybe even me.............smile.gif

BTW, we all met, here on the forum. None of us knew each other, prior to meeting to fly in Louisburg, so come join us...............nick

<br />PM sent with my info. Hope to meet up with you sometime soon.<br />

<br />

-Tim<br />

<br />

Edit: Added myself to the member map. I'm in southern Durham.<br />

<br /><br /><br />

Got the info. Take that West Coast another added to the East Coast. Welcome to the Darkside.

Hi Tim,

I consider Lake Crabtree as my home field and the Wal Mart site in Louisburg as my lunch time from work field now. B)

I guess you were flying with Steve, Phillip, Scott and maybe Tom the other day, all good people. We ought to all get together one of these days for a fly.

Both fields are similar in that winds from the North are the least favorable, with South and Southwest being the most favorable.

I'm in Apex, so not too far from you. Drop me a PM maybe we can meet on a field sometime.

Kip

• 8 months later...

Hi guys,

I think most of you have got this news already, but I'll post it for anyone else who might stumble on this thread.

We're starting to organize triangle-area kite flyers in a very, very informal way. Right now all we have is a mailing list to keep us in touch. All kite fliers in the Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill area (and all over central NC) are invited to join.

http://groups.google...group/rdu-kites