Member Map

KiteLife

Just added to the forum (linked on the main navbar)...

http://www.revkites....orum/membermap/

Related discussion on the Kitelife forum, for our map over there...

http://kitelife.com/...039-member-map/

Key items:

Note, when you enter your location, you can use the same as you would with Google...

Examples:

1. 123 Some St, Portland, OR

2. Some St and Other St, Portland, OR

3. Portland, OR

However vague you want to be, no problem.

It should work like this, let me know if you find out otherwise. ;)

I did try. It won't accept it; at least in the format I tried: 42°19'21.60"N, 83°35'51.31"W

Pete, Forget the seconds, and put the hemisphere designation, in front of the coordinates !

The map programs, will take Longitude / Latitude coordinates, but you need to use the more common, GPS format, which is as follows

hddd mm.mmm

h = hemisphere

dd = degrees

mm.mmm = minutes carried out to 3 decimal places

These are my home coordinates N36 24.079 W78 22.384 and I bet if you put your home coordinates, in this format, it will put the mark on the map, right on top of your house, assuming that you have the correct coordinates for you house. I got my coordinates, by circling the perimeter of the house, with a handheld gps, downloading the track around the house, from the gps, to a mapping program on my computer, then creating a waypoint (my house), within the circle, or track, that I made when I circled the house.

Coordinates don't lie. Mapping programs, such as Bing, Google Earth, etc. lie. They are only as good as the person that put them together. The problem with the mapping programs, and the gps's that people use in their cars today, are that the mapping programs, that the gps pulls from, are notoriously inaccurate. They are dependent on where the mappers put your address, as it relates to real coordinates, or the address that you are looking for. A couple of hundred feet will put you at the wrong house, or business. The exact coordinates, will put you at the same spot, every time, and those coordinates are always in the same place, no matter which map program you use. 125 Main Street on Bing Maps, may be 500' from 125 Main Street, on Google Maps, but N42 19.420 W083 35.857 will always be in the same spot, and should put the dot right on top of your roof, in the center. Try it....................nick :kid_smartass:

Without testing, I would guess that the house is your marker (home); 'F" are markers for people who are tagged as your friends (here on kitelife); and the dots are everyone else. Yep, I just friended a couple of folks and watched their markers change to "F"s.

Great job John - overcomes the fundamental insecurity (integrity) problems of the open Google maps. I think there are potentially two domains of interest: where are the fliers and where do they meet to fly?

BTW: here is an easy way of getting your co-ordinates:

Go to google maps and using the hand to move the map centre and the [+] to zoom, find your chosen location. Then with your mouse pointer over this location, right-click (yeah, this is PC speak, rather than Mac-speak) and select the "What's here?" option. The latitude and longitude will appear in the search box, from where you can copy it and paste into this map's 'add location' entry.

I just got on the map, but it put me in the middle of the woods on the satellite. Maybe it is the center of my whole address, but it would take me 20 minutes to walk to my marker from the house.

If you type in your address, it should put your marker right on that spot!!:) If you use a town or county, it's going to be more general in location!! Up to you how exact you want to be!!:)

If you type in your address, it should put your marker right on that spot!!smile.gif If you use a town or county, it's going to be more general in location!! Up to you how exact you want to be!!smile.gif

Yes I used my street address, but with a bunch of acreage the street address must be centering it within the 56 acres.

If you type in your address, it should put your marker right on that spot!!:) If you use a town or county, it's going to be more general in location!! Up to you how exact you want to be!!:)

There is no address at the Blackheath site but the default is probably only 400 yards to the east of the actual location of our regular flying field.

Felix

I just got on the map, but it put me in the middle of the woods on the satellite. Maybe it is the center of my whole address, but it would take me 20 minutes to walk to my marker from the house.

Go to google earth, set your measurements (in the Options or Preferences) to decimal minutes, hover over your house and read the lat/lon at the bottom of the page. Then enter those as your location on the member map using the form:

(thanks to Reef Runner)

hddd mm.mmm

h = hemisphere

dd = degrees

mm.mmm = minutes carried out to 3 decimal places

So, you will be somewhere near N42 28.4xx W079 6.0xx (I don't know exactly where you are, but this is how the numbers are supposed to look.)