Flying on Ice and frozen ground

ahofer

I flew today on Carnegie Lake, in Princeton. A bit gusty and uneven, but once I got out in the middle of the lake good flying (and it didn't cause any accidents on nearby Route 27).

But my whole routine for keeping lines properly set - a kite stake and inverted parking - is out the window. I couldn't keep the handles still and the kite tends to flop around on the ice and catch the bridle/lines. So I had some snarls nearly as bad as my pure beginner days.

It seems like magic sticks would be good on ice, since they would keep the kite ready to fly and obviate the need for a stake. Where do I get those? Also, would it work? The ice here is patchy with snow, so the kite doesn't slide too much, but on smooth ice I'd think the kite would slide around on magic sticks.

Of course I was fantasizing about putting something sharp on the end caps so it would dig in (rev crampons?), but I think that's a bit hazardous.

I flew today on Carnegie Lake, in Princeton. A bit gusty and uneven, but once I got out in the middle of the lake good flying (and it didn't cause any accidents on nearby Route 27).

But my whole routine for keeping lines properly set - a kite stake and inverted parking - is out the window. I couldn't keep the handles still and the kite tends to flop around on the ice and catch the bridle/lines. So I had some snarls nearly as bad as my pure beginner days.

It seems like magic sticks would be good on ice, since they would keep the kite ready to fly and obviate the need for a stake. Where do I get those? Also, would it work? The ice here is patchy with snow, so the kite doesn't slide too much, but on smooth ice I'd think the kite would slide around on magic sticks.

Of course I was fantasizing about putting something sharp on the end caps so it would dig in (rev crampons?), but I think that's a bit hazardous.

At Kites on Ice at Madison straw bales were provided as staking points as I recall. However the inverted kites did tend to 'skate together' so the usual single point 'stake' did not work too well...

Lee Sedgwick skiing over Ray Bethell's lines was the only 'disaster' that I can recall. Needless to say Lee was using sharp edges and Ray's lines were all cleanly cut... <grins>

Felix

Hey All,

Magic Sticks might work, depending upon ice slickness.

We normally have them made up, but out of stock today - should have more sets in a couple of week.

If more urgent, you can either email or call us at the store.

Hope this helps!

Cath and Eliot

[email protected]

252-453-8442

Hi Andrew-

Yes, it is most difficult to get a stake in the ground this time of year. I try to find anything that will hold the handles in place; like a fence post, shrubs, etc. If not from that end, I'll look for something to prop the kite up with or something that can "catch" the LE (like snow, same as we would with sand) as I try to "right" the kite.

If you're interested in the Magic Sticks right away, Scott Weider makes them and sells them for quite some time, now. As the northeast distributor, he also sells anything Rev related. Cath and Eliot are awesome people, so whoever you go to, you will get the help you need.

Hopefully, it will be comfortable enough outside to meet up at LSP; I definitely need to fly!!!

See you soon.

Being in Alaska, I find I'm pretty good at this, unfortunately.

What I do is carry one of those orange safety cones. I use that for a "stake" on the ice. They come in a variety of sizes and styles. I suggest finding a decently heavy one, especially if you drive right to your flying spot like I do. Make sure to get one with the rubber standoffs, as those dig into the snow well enough to keep the cone from dragging. Photo below:

gallery_3216_414_185427.jpg

Being in Alaska, I find I'm pretty good at this, unfortunately.

What I do is carry one of those orange safety cones. I use that for a "stake" on the ice. They come in a variety of sizes and styles. I suggest finding a decently heavy one, especially if you drive right to your flying spot like I do. Make sure to get one with the rubber standoffs, as those dig into the snow well enough to keep the cone from dragging. Photo below:

gallery_3216_414_185427.jpg

I just want to say I love the internet and I love rev flyers.

First I'm quite envious of the opportunity to fly on a lake, but that is soon to change this weekend.

The parts Tak forgot to mention that I've run into on ice mostly revolve around the idea that ice is slick. Resting on the ground right side up really isn't an issue if you have 2" or more of snow to work with. So if you have shifting wind, your kite will invariably move its way down wind being parked upside down. That can bring about a whole new set of problems depending on where you're flying. Lakes will often have areas where snow piles into mini dunes and cleared areas tend to have items like gravel and ice chunks from the thaw/freeze cycle. All of these things can catch lines easily, and I've frayed some 50lb line on ice chunks on the ground. Thats probably the biggest grief I have when I'm out skiing with a blast, is trying to unsnag the lines from all the little tiny pieces of ice that show up out of nowhere!

On one of our last trips, we forgot the orange cone, so the only real thing available were some paver stones and those definitely weren't going anywhere on ice.