Weymouth Kite Fest 2011

Brackie

Some bad news.

It looks like this years festival will not be taking place.

With the current financial situation it looks like the council are no longer able to fund the event.

Shame the last few have been great.

The following was copied from the kite weekenders forum

We are sure you may be wondering why you have not heard anything about Weymouth this year - and may have heard some rumours.

We are writing to confirm that the event is NOT taking place this year.

As you are no doubt aware budgets for local government have been cut (quite severely in some cases) and this has impacted the ability for Weymouth and Portland Borough Council to offer a realistic budget. In light of this we have reluctantly decided not to go ahead with a scaled back event - once down that path it tends to stay that way! There are some hopes that the event may go ahead in 2012 (the Olympics may help here) but obviously we will not know anything until possibly the end of 2011.

We would like to thank all of you who have supported the event over the years - rain, wind and storms - and look forward to seeing you somewhere soon.

Jon and Gill

For clarification, I simply reposted an email from Arthur Dibble from WHKF.

He has been in touch with the council and they are adamant that the infrastructure will be in place. I doubt there will be any invited fliers or a display programme of any sort as this is what KSGB would have organised. It is possible the council or Arthur will put something together but I suspect it will simply be a free for all.

For clarification, I simply reposted an email from Arthur Dibble from WHKF.

He has been in touch with the council and they are adamant that the infrastructure will be in place. I doubt there will be any invited fliers or a display programme of any sort as this is what KSGB would have organised. It is possible the council or Arthur will put something together but I suspect it will simply be a free for all.

I've just seen an e-mail from Weymouth confirming that the event is going ahead.

Felix

"Information to Kite Flyers:

This year all Kite Flyers, regular visitors and new visitors who wish to take part in Weymouth’s Kite Festival are asked to register their interests by either completing the attached form or contacting Steve Davies by email [email protected] or 07980 730053.

Kite Facilities in Weymouth will be consistent with previous years which will include Beach Kite Flying Arenas, anchor points, marshalling, control bus, kite workshops, storage and trade stands. "

• 4 weeks later...