Google Earth.

Stone in Shoe Bob

I've not looked into it but might there be a possible tie in with something like Google Earth here?

A very easy thing to do would be this...create a Google Maps "My Map" and add any points that you like. Make it a public map so that people can view it, like this...(not complete)

http://goo.gl/maps/rqMC

The nice thing is that it provides a link at the top to view the data in Google Earth. So if you have Google Earth, you can see it there, but anyone with a browser can see it on the Google Maps page.

Hi folks.

Apologies for not replying sooner, it wasn’t for the want of trying, but there has been lots going on in and around my life lately and other stuff has had to take priority, so keyboard time has been somewhat limited.

JB’s “Calling all countries! - Rev wants to know, where are you flying?” thread has re-awoken one of those, “I know what would be really useful” thoughts that I had pushed to the back of my mind ages ago. I don’t want to say too much about where I would like to see this go just yet, as I have a horrible feeling that if we start getting too many “Wouldn’t it be nice if…..” posts things could get way out of control.

Suffice to say, I really like what Puppeteer and Jeff have suggested. On first reading I thought they may have been mutually exclusive, but after a quick dip into the Google Earth tutorials it appears that maybe they are not.

I think I now need to spend a bit more time with the Tutorials and Help Database to find out if my idea is - a, doable, and b, manageable.

Many thanks to both Puppeteer and Jeff.

Watch this Space.

Can remember a Rev frapper map way back when ....whatever happened to it?!

Yeah think google maps is the way to go. I've been using it to record my own kite locations, places I've flown in. Only problem is that it works on the premise that the users have a gmail account to be able to contribute and edit. Either that or someone can add countries when need.

Here's that kiting locations google map that I've stuck together.

Chris

Hey Chris I find that very cool and remember if you ever want to add San Diego Ca. to the map feel free to stay at my place..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

OK all this talk of Google Maps. Is this the sort of thing you want?

http://maps.google.c...UTF&msa=0&msid=

214199448634354836673.00049ae5d4db455dadf2f&z=1

Click on 'collaborate' and 'edit' to attach a pin. Not sure if you need to log in to a google account to use it, but I'm sure you'll find out.

[Edit: zoom level is extreme with one marker, hopefully it will settle with use.]

Edited by andelscott
  • Like 1

So, how do I add my location?

1. Scroll the map to your home location (may need to zoom way out to move the distances involved), zooming in to the level of accuracy you want;
  2. Click Edit button to left of the map box;
  3. Click on the 'pin' icon in the top left of the map window and drag mouse to your location (the 'X' beneath it is the target);
  4. Click on your location to select it;
  5. Annotate your name and any comments in the 'balloon' box that opens up.

One aspect I'm not sure of - you might need to create a google account or log on. I'm not sure, as I already had one for Google webmaster tools and such like!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

Added!

Looks like a couple of false starts got in there. Unless someone did want a placemark in Mali, and another off the coast of Liberia, they might be removed.

(edit) Looks like someone has tidied them up.

I think anyone can delete them; in fact I think anyone can move someone else's mark, on purpose or by accident.

Edited by --Pete

Aye, t'was me ...doing a bit of housework wink.gif

Good. I didn't want to move/delete them if someone had put them there for a reason.

On another note: sometimes I see your marker as the standard inverted teardrop and some times as a push-pin, and always in green rather than the blue of the rest of the markers. Is there some way to edit the marker appearance? I haven't seen it if there is.

And thanks to andelscott for the detailed description of how to add a marker.

Edited by --Pete

On another note: sometimes I see your marker as the standard inverted teardrop and some times as a push-pin, and always in green rather than the blue of the rest of the markers. Is there some way to edit the marker appearance? I haven't seen it if there is.

Pete

If you click on the [Edit] button and then choose your own location, it opens dialogue box. Top right is the 'pin' and clicking on this open up a raft of alternative optional markers. Now some of these are likely to confuse, but there are balloons and pins of assorted colours. But not to the extent that you can model your Rev colour scheme - *yet* - but you can add your own icon. :kid_smartass:

[save] once you've updated, then you're done!

• Like 1

Added one for me but . . . . . had a bit of an issue with no edit button and no pins showing!

Thought I was missing something really basic but thankfully found this to resolve the issue before making myself look really foolish rolleyes.gif :

• There was [is] a bug in Google Maps until yesterday. It was [is] caused by Google changing their interface, Google has however repaired it [well maybe not].
    The workaround (which isn't necessary anymore) [was in my case] was [is] to wait until Google had tried in vain to load your map and then to click once on the back button of your browser --> now the proper map with your placemarks was [is] loaded.

All is now well . . . . . . .

(Posted in wrong topic. Moved by author.)

Very weird. Someone moved my marker into the middle of Lake Superior. According to the tag, it was someone named "Archie", but when I clicked on "Archie" I was taken to the Profile of someone called "Biker Belle". I've moved it back home, but I expect we all need to check our tag locations occasionally.

Possibly someone didn't like my custom marker. I will eventually just replaced it with a 32-pixel high version to get it about the same size as the other markers. Now I have to brighten it up, since it is hard to see at 32 pixels high.

Edited by --Pete

(Posted in wrong topic. Moved by author.)

Wayne,

Looking at the layout of your park (every square foot devoted to various kinds of ball game) I thought you might enjoy this quote from a Tom Robbins book:

TheKite-Flyer's Dream?

or, Something to Ponder While Waiting for SuperBowl

(cribbed from _Skinny_Legs_and_All_ by Tom Robbins)

Suppose a spaceship flew into our atmosphere and beamed up every ball on the planet. Every last football, baseball, tennis ball, basketball, volleyball, golfball, shot put, softball, squash ball, soccer ball, pool ball, bowling ball, even croquet balls and polo balls, all of them.

What would happen? Would the male population go slowly berserk? Would blood flow in the streets? Would [the] boys just curl up and die?

Or would it expedite the evolution of a higher species of mammal?

...like kite-flyers?

Edited by --Pete

Well, it took me a couple of hours to figure out how to make an icon with a transparent background, but I did it.

Another one added.

Pete - I saw your kite on that map and I just had to figure out how to cut one of my kites out of a picture and put it on that map.

Signed up for Google. Spent way too much time fiddling with my GIMP program manipulating that kite picture.

Understand now the time it takes on the transparent background. I picked a picture of my vented Rev and and decided to make all the screened areas transparent also. Lots of fun

It's not perfect but it's on the map.

Thanks for the challenge.

Bruce

If you figured out how to use GIMP, you're way beyond me. It came on my wife's new computer and I tried to make sense of it. I think it was written by a committee.

I don't know GIMP either. I never bothered because I received a free copy of Photoshop Elements with one of my scanners about 10 years back.

Since then after over 100 hours training on Photoshop, and considerably more using it, I could be considered a very advanced user.

I am told that GIMP is easy to understand for anyone that knows Photoshop basics.

For learning GIMP, you might want to look at some of the on-line tutorials and videos. Just Google It!

It sure beats trying to figure it out on your own and save you a lot of time.

Once you get the hang of it you will have a lot of fun with it.

Without any training you will be pulling out your hair.