Windscape 2011

bartman

It's still six months away, but gotta start beating the bushes and get all my Rev flying friends all rev'd up for this!

I'd love to see 16 Rev flyers here this year. That would, not only, be a record for this festival, but also a nice grid the quarter of the size of WSIKF last year and a good opportinunity for the festival announcer to be able to go into some details for the crowd regarding the world record and other bits of related trivia. Background during and/or before some of the demos here has been lacking so a lot of the specators do not fully know or appreciate what they have seen.

Did you know that if you are an accomplished pilot or team that the festival organizers will pick up some, or all, of your expenses to attend? We all know a number of you fit this criteria (and you know who you are) and if that has perked your interest I encourage you to visit the festival web site and fill in the application. Look for it under the "Celebrity Flyers" tab.

The dates of the festival are June 25 and 26. If at all possible we try a night fly on the 24th and again on the 25th.

I host a BBQ at my place on the Saturday after the festival for all my Rev friends and other personal friends who may be in attendance. My buddy has described the BBQ as "Kick ass" so it must be good and the festival is not too bad either - the largest in Western Canada.

So please check it out and even if you do not think you qualify for doing demos on the main field consider coming in for it just for the fun of it! I can get hotel info for anyone who may need it and usually on the festival web site there is a room deal that can be had as well.

http://www.windscapekitefestival.ca/

Remember - 16 Rev Flyers - that is my goal. Help me make it happen!

Thanks.

Bart

Bart will be offering sleeping accommodations at his place if you are willing to maintain his new landscaping while you are there. kid_devlish.gif

If you are willing to paint and do other housework then meals may also be included.

Please remind me which is the nearest international airport and the transfer distance/time? <grins>

Thanks

Felix

Geez guys, should have been faster. The Inn is already booked for this year. We do have some nice hotels that would be more than happy to put you up for a couple nights. At a reasonable charge or course. kid_smartass.gif

Bart

And...

'Please remind me which is the nearest international airport and the transfer distance/time? <grins>'

Felix

I'd bet that if you guys suddenly had cash you didn't know what to do with and wanted to come over as the featured Rev team the organizers would cover a portion of the travel costs. Email them now before it's too late!! smile.gif

Bart

Please remind me which is the nearest international airport and the transfer distance/time? <grins>

Thanks

Felix

I'd bet that if you guys suddenly had cash you didn't know what to do with and wanted to come over as the featured Rev team the organizers would cover a portion of the travel costs. Email them now before it's too late!! smile.gif

Bart

I do not think for a moment that any of us will have cash that we didn't know what to to do with but it is always worth exploring possibilities.

The idea of travelling to your 'middle of nowhere' could be something rather special if there was a kite event at the end of it, especially a 'Super Sixteen'. Maybe the idea could grow...

I'll go and register at the site but I know that the end of June is likely to be difficult for me personally at work.

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram

It certainly qualifies as "middle of no where"!

Would be super cool to see you guys, no doubt there!

Yeah, give it a shot. You never know. I am not part of the organizing team at all so all I can do is encourage people to apply and attend then cross my fingers.

We've had excellent flyers in the past. iQuad has been here twice, Island Quad, 180Go!, Lots of dual line guys and lots of the big kites too. It's not WSIKF, but for here it certainly is one of the big events for the city (we're at about 16K population wise).

Bart

It certainly qualifies as "middle of no where"!

Would be super cool to see you guys, no doubt there!

Yeah, give it a shot. You never know. I am not part of the organizing team at all so all I can do is encourage people to apply and attend then cross my fingers.

We've had excellent flyers in the past. iQuad has been here twice, Island Quad, 180Go!, Lots of dual line guys and lots of the big kites too. It's not WSIKF, but for here it certainly is one of the big events for the city (we're at about 16K population wise).

Bart

So if they all came back it could be a Super Thirty Six <grins>

Anyway, I do not hold out much hope but will give it a shot. What is the closest International Airport? Is it Calgary? What is the transfer time?

Felix

I sent you a PM as well, but Regina is the closest and it is 2.5 hours away from us. In the past the organizers have arranged all the travel so most people arrive in Regina around the same time then they shuttle the whole bunch to Swift Current.

I don't know what kind of connections would be needed between where you are and Regina.

Never thought of it as a "super 16" but that would be very interesting. If 16 is possible we'd have to make the effort to try some of those new patterns depending on the general skill level of all involved. I was thinking of the basic grid work (a bit short sighted I guess) for here. I know even something that simple would still be impressive at our festival. I'm even thrilled to do a 16 kite follow the leader!!

Bart

we had fun the year we attended .... well organized ... great people and a music festival as well

the drive from the island to speedy creek and back was a experience not soon forgotten ... :) :) :)

all digits crossed for good winds for the event

Terry

ISLAND QUAD

180GO! had a blast last year. Bart, along with the festival committee are good hosts. And Bart's Backyard BBQ is great fun.

They try to vary the acts from year to year, so I don't think we'll be back this year. But have fun, y'all!

I sent you a PM as well, but Regina is the closest and it is 2.5 hours away from us. In the past the organizers have arranged all the travel so most people arrive in Regina around the same time then they shuttle the whole bunch to Swift Current.

I don't know what kind of connections would be needed between where you are and Regina.

Never thought of it as a "super 16" but that would be very interesting. If 16 is possible we'd have to make the effort to try some of those new patterns depending on the general skill level of all involved. I was thinking of the basic grid work (a bit short sighted I guess) for here. I know even something that simple would still be impressive at our festival. I'm even thrilled to do a 16 kite follow the leader!!

Bart

Hi Bart,

While I think that it is somewhat unlikely that I will be able to attend please do go for the 'high bar' as in the Super Sixteen possibilities. It will be a learning curve for everyone but I an sure that it will be worthwhile. Check out the possibilities! Much of it is fairly basic once you look closely.

Best wishes

Felix

• 2 months later...

Updating...

We're well on our way to having a 4 x 4 grid and if not that then at least very close to a new record number of Rev pilots in attendance.

Just a quick head count:

Rev Riders (4)

Amy and Connor (2)

Jeff Burka (1)

Watty (1)

Paul and Candace (2)

Myself (1)

This ties the existing record from 2009. I expect we will still see a couple more who will participate in the "mini" mega-fly with a little arm twisting. Sixteen is on the radar. Help me make it happen. This is the largest festival in Western Canada and this year flyers are being flow in from just not North America but Europe as well!

What I would like is a head count/confirmation from ALL Rev pilots who will be attending AND I would like to know if you will be attending my annual private BBQ I hold for my friends (Rev heavy attendance of course) on the Saturday after the festival officially ends and before any evening flying. I have to limit the number of people to a managable number so the sooner I hear from you the better. Contact me here or on Facebook if we're friends there.

Bart

Updating...

We're well on our way to having a 4 x 4 grid and if not that then at least very close to a new record number of Rev pilots in attendance.

<snip>

4 x 3 is good so you are very close to that.

Best wishes

Felix

• 3 months later...

I've just uploaded a post festival blog entry as well as a few photos in my gallery.

If you're on Facebook be sure to check the link to my friend Mike's gallery from this year. He captured a lot of really good stuff.

Bart