Hi All,, My First Day in The Rev Forum

flt101

My name is Mike, This is my first day in the Rev forum, so there is a lot of sorting out for me and questions i'm trying to answer about forums, I don't even know what an Avatar is but it looks like i can have one if i wish.

I live in upstate New York on Lake Erie just about half way between Buffalo NY and Erie PA, I worked for and retired from the state after 31 years working with developmentally disabled people.

10 years ago i bought a 56 acre piece of property for flying my buckeye dream machine powered parachute in and out of, with wind and overtime i was working it was impossible to have the time or perfect days to fly it, as you little wind as possible to lay a 500 sq foot parachute on the ground without the machine taking off before you can start it and get in.

When I retired so I thought, I was going to buy a toy hauler and see the country, that hasn't happened because of too much to do without leaving my yard, and I thought retirement was something like sitting on South Beach drinking frozen drinks and watching babes in bikinis, not working in the vineyard or 2 days mowing lawn on a tractor or going in the woods with a handful of chainsaws, oh well.

Not far from me on Lake Erie is a park in PA called Presque Isle, I heard it was a nice scenic ride and checked it out a few years back. Saw a bunch of kites flying and stopped, it was interesting but no big deal to me at the time, I'm a big bad biker after all.

One day 2 years ago after mowing my 20 acre lawn a friend stopped over and we walked down to my grapes, he mentioned that i should get people to pay me to come here and fly kites, we always have some crazy ideas going on, but it got laughed off as usual. He came over again with a broken box kite, never got it to fly. But something got me interested that i wanted to try to fly a kite.

I went out and bought me a 2 line kite Prism Quantum, crashing like crazy but trying again and again, darn it the wind wasn't strong enough to fly it when i wanted to, so New Tech Desire UL.

I went back to Presque Isle with my 2 lines and was playing on the beach and saw this strange shaped kite just sitting in one spot spinning and going up and down, said Revolution on it, wow, I gotta get one of those.

This year I went to Presque Isle again and a guy was flying this disc type kite and i was flying my desire. I saw a Rev on the sand and talked to the guy about lines on the Rev, he said bring it out and he'll set it up for me, but I didn't have the lines with me. I went back to flying and he put his disk thing away, next thing I see him opening up a big canvas bag and pulling out a rev and another and another and on and on, I didn't count them but it seems like about 15 of them stacked, well I put my kite away and just watched. Looked like a giant bread slicer coming down on me and stopped inches away. I sat back and enjoyed the show. Later we talked again and i got hooked even more. I'll go back again next year with some of my rev's.

But I still don't know what an avatar is, and it probably isn't important enough for me to worry about. I would like to learn how to put some of my kites in the profile. I love them all!!

Welcome again to the dark side.

I am just guessing but I think the guy flying the disc must have been Lee Sedgwick.

I know he lives up that way, he invented the disc kite and is very well known REV flier who usually flies large trains of REVs.

An avatar is that little square picture that everyone has below their name. Mine is an animated avatar of a ZEN being put together, rotating and then flying away.

That had to be Lee Sedgwick you met up with. I think you should hook up with Lee if you can again. He probably don't know a thing about Revs but he is a nice guy. Really Lee can tell you anything you need to know about Revs. He even has his own line of Revs. If I could fly 1/3 rd as good I would be very happy. So look him up again.

Hello,

Welcome to the Rev family. You sure have done well to meet up with Mr. Lee Sedgwick, one of the living ledgends in the kiting world.

If you aren't too busy plowing snow next month and want to get a jump start on your Rev learning come down to the Treasure Island, FL (gulf coast, 40 min. from Tampa airport) kite festival Jan 14th-17th. A lot of Rev flyers from the mid-west and the east coast get away from the cold to play in sun together.

In the meantime, read up on any topics here on the forum for which you have questions - yes, there's ALOT of info, but well worth it.

Which Rev kites did you get?

Dayton David

post-2127-129278939159_thumb.jpg

Yes it was Lee, real pleasent guy to talk with, and I hope to meet up with him again in the summer, They have something going on in Feb on the ice with power blasts, I'll pass on that one, I wish I could step away for awhile into warmth during the winter as it sounds like fun in Florida and probably 70 degrees warmer. The Rev's that I have already prove that it's an addiction for me, I have to stop!!! 16 Rev's now, from the exp to Randy Tom.

Edited by HYZAKITE

Hi Mike,

I am thrilled to see you on the forum !!! I have enjoyed our talks on the phone, and your story is great. Thanks for sharing.

Your new beauties are on the way. :blue-love:

Your avatar can be a slideshow !!

Thank you for joining the Rev family !!

Merry Christmas to all.

God Bless.

Lolly

(MBro- call me.)

Welcome to the forum! I know I am a bit late, but better than never........... cool.gif

Pretty cool to be able to meet Lee, he would be the one to learn a bunch from.

Good Winds!!!! sign_kitelife.gif

Thanks LS and everyone else welcoming me to the forum, Lee sounds like a cool guy, friendly and happy, he sure enjoys being at the beach flying I can see. I figured I'll learn at my own pace no matter what, starting with wrapping and unwrapping lines a different way each time I fly.

Mike

Welcome to the "Darkside"!! Experimenting with line winding sounds harmless until that fateful day when it's all tangled up!! :kid_cussing: John B. has some great tutorials on line management, but if you find a way that works for you - Stick with it!!! :kid_smartass:

Edited by stroke victim

Welcome to the "Darkside"!! Experimenting with line winding sounds harmless until that fateful day when it's all tangled up!! kid_cussing.gif John B. has some great tutorials on line management, but if you find a way that works for you - Stick with it!!! kid_smartass.gif

The easiest for me is the straight wrap, When Lee showed me his wrap around the handles I reied it once or twice before I had about 2 hours worth of untangling, but now i want to try it again to find out where I went wrong.

Hi Mike,

I am thrilled to see you on the forum !!! I have enjoyed our talks on the phone, and your story is great. Thanks for sharing.

Your new beauties are on the way. blue_inlove.gif

Your avatar can be a slideshow !!

Thank you for joining the Rev family !!

Merry Christmas to all.

God Bless.

Lolly

(MBro- call me.)

They arrived today!! I won't open the one until the after the ball drops. Thanks again, Enjoy your holidays.

Mike

The easiest for me is the straight wrap, When Lee showed me his wrap around the handles I reied it once or twice before I had about 2 hours worth of untangling, but now i want to try it again to find out where I went wrong.

I sometimes use this method on a temporary bases only, meaning for a half hour or so. I usually do this to keep people from walking into my lines.

The tricks are to wind holding the handles in a specific hand. When you unwind the lines, hold the handles in precisely the same hand. When you wind the line back out, you MUST shake them out to get all the unwanted twisting and whatever out of them. At this time you should have no more then a single twist. Also be sure to pair off the lines and knot each pair together and don't let one pair drop through the other pair.

I never leave my line overnight wrapped around the handles.

Welcome to the forum, but watch John Barresi's video

It's fail proof, once you understand it..............good lucksign_kitelife.gif

That is the wind I've been using right along, the only thing going on with that wind is sometimes the card folds nicely on to the handles and the next time there is not enough line leftover to make the final flip onto the handles.

I sometimes use this method on a temporary bases only, meaning for a half hour or so. I usually do this to keep people from walking into my lines.

The tricks are to wind holding the handles in a specific hand. When you unwind the lines, hold the handles in precisely the same hand. When you wind the line back out, you MUST shake them out to get all the unwanted twisting and whatever out of them. At this time you should have no more then a single twist. Also be sure to pair off the lines and knot each pair together and don't let one pair drop through the other pair.

I never leave my line overnight wrapped around the handles.

Now I'm starting to get on overload, but I have to ask anyway, why not overnight? I know Lee doesn't break his kites down as he has a van and a big bag, so I don't think he removes lines from the kite during storage.

Now I'm starting to get on overload, but I have to ask anyway, why not overnight? I know Lee doesn't break his kites down as he has a van and a big bag, so I don't think he removes lines from the kite during storage.

I guess when you have a van with plenty of room, it doesn't matter. I have a tiny car with no room thus I need to pack everything up neatly.

In the case of handles. If you use the same length lines all the time you could leave the lines wrapped on the handles, However it does groove into the foam grips which takes a while to recover, especially when cold. Now if you use different length lines, like me, then you either need more handles or wind your lines on the winders.

There is nothing mandatory here. It is really up to each person how they wish to do things.

That is the wind I've been using right along, the only thing going on with that wind is sometimes the card folds nicely on to the handles and the next time there is not enough line leftover to make the final flip onto the handles.

Usually you can choose to either have the handles follow past the end of the lines before bungieing them down, or to lay the handles BACK along the lines to get them under the bungie. (That is to say, the lines will end somewhere on a face of the winder; the only time you are SOL is if the lines end EXACTLY on one of the winder-ends. Taking one wrap around the winder crossways can fix that.)

One thing to add: keep the lines out of direct sunlight and fluorescent light. The UV will eventually weaken the lines. An opaque bag is good.

Edited by --Pete