B-Series Zen lines?

jdvoracek

Okay, I am old and decided to leave some of my estate to my kids in the form of another rev, this time a B-Series Zen to complete my wind condition coverage and to keep my non-vented and vented Barresi's company. Obviously I'm not flying the Zen with my 150# lines, but I'm trying to decide if I should use my 90# (80') set or go for a 50# set, probably about 100'? I'm thinking the lighter weight of the lines could make a difference in the low-wind conditions for which I intend it. This may be kind of dumb, but I also thought the 50#'ers might be sort of a "wind fuse" so if a huge gust arose out of nowhere I'd break a line rather than the kite. What do folks use for these larger but lighter kites? Thanks in advance and Happy Holidays!

Getting the light wind performance from your Zen will be more flying skill and style than line weight. I fly mine on 90# line in all conditions except for super short indoor flying. Then I will switch down to the 50# stuff. 50# will work for you but the reason I prefer the 90# is because 50# seems to tangle up and snag so much easier than the 90# does plus it will break easier. The Zen kite can take some pretty good wind (for an indoor or SUL model) I have had one out in 8-12 mph just to see what it would handle and although it didn't blow apart, I wouldn't recommend those winds and would of course prefer to fly my standards. Even though the Zen didn't blow apart, it was under some very serious stress and I was very worried about putting it through the window - kept it on the edge nearly all the time. That was on 90# lines as well.

Hope this helps.

+1 for 90# line on the Zen

Check out my thread "Some Zen observations" and you'll see I am happier to take it into gusting conditions now that I've switched the Zen frame to a Race frame. It didn't fly well in the strong winds for my tastes and I would fly my B series instead, but the Race frame had me happier in the middle of the window with the gusts. On 90# line I think the Zen will blow out before the line does.

I'm not a fan of 50# because it just seems way too fiddly for me and I don't have the skill to squeeze any minute difference it may make out of the kite. Even my indoor flying is done on 90# line. My first indoor line set was 50# and I hated it during setup, takedown and when it got tangled up - which it did plenty of when I started indoor. I'd probably have an easier time of it now that I have more skill indoor, but I switched to 90# ages right after the 50# and have had no such issue since.

Just my $0.02 worth, your mileage may vary...

• 6 months later...

This is an old topic, but I just received my Zen, and after 3 days straight of flying it, stock frame, I've come to this conclusion:

I'm using 50# line for my dualies only from now on.

With a 3 mph fairly steady wind today, I flew my Zen with a 75' 50# set, then a 75' 90# set, then repeated. I also flew my 30' 50# set.

The 50# really started to feel "stretchy" around 4 mph. I had to help it around to complete a full axel. The line felt like it had to unstretch before it would go slack, which was throwing my timing off for the pull at first.

The 90# line felt solid, and didn't slack at all from myself to the Zen, even when the wind was 1-2 mph. Starting an axel felt like it should, it felt easier to put slack into the lines. Giving the quick pull to start the rotation also felt more solid, and would bring 'her all the way around with no correction.

The 30' 50# set felt ok. It almost feels like its stretching during some moves, like an up and over, but I think that I'm feeling the frame flex more than the line stretch here.

I have yet to try a 90# set this short (or shorter), but I really can't imagine that a 30' 90# set would feel "heavy" to me.

I still like the 50# line for my 1.5 B-Series, in a range from about 3 mph up to about 8 mph. However, the 90# line feels just as good to me at these speeds.

Bulk 90# from here on out ;)

With a 3 mph fairly steady wind today...

I would think NV winds to be variable rather than steady (jealous if so). I have both 50# and 90# lines for my Zen, but both are 120 feet long because my winds are ALWAYS variable. In light winds I spend a lot of time just staying aloft and use the lighter lines. I rarely try much slack line work in those conditions, and every time I do, I am waiting for the line to snap smile.gif . The lines I use don't feel mushy or maybe I would not know if they did. I am a lot more comfortable with the 50# lines, however, now that I have a pair of those FABULOUS new NO-SNAG Rev handles (15 inch version).