Super Sixteen SE England New Years Fly

Felix

Hi Felix.

My suggestion would be before Xmas, check who we have and then assign a number to each.

Then between Xmas & New Year go a look at your numbered place in the 16, that way we can be ahead of the game on the day.

Having looked at the 16 my guess would be look at the four corners and have four "team" flyers in each ie top left 4 = Dec's. Would that work?

I've communicated this to our group, and can see at least 8 confirmed from The Dunstable crew (provided Gee's not skiing)

Hi Simon,

Thanks very much for your suggestion. The slight problem is that in some ways we will be testing what John has drawn so that rather than being concerned about specifics it may be better if the fliers concentrate on an 'overview' of what is being attempted.

However, I very much agree with your perception of the 'four corners' as I suspect that this is a key aspect to the development of Super Sixteen even if I cannot fully articulate the reasoning behind this at this stage. Maybe the key will be to set up the 'four corners' and then ask them to switch grouping to the vertical columns or horizontal rows on command!

This is all very exciting so I hope that the weather is kind to us on the day. <grins>

Felix

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can be available if required .... and will bring the GoPro + head mount to film ... weather dependent of course as I believe it can get quite parky up North this time of year?

It would be good to see you! I think that we just about have a core of 16 fliers set to attend. If others turn up we'll make sure they have the opportunity to fly in the 16 (as well as in a larger grid if the mood takes us.) <grins>

Felix

Hi Felix.

<snip>

I've communicated this to our group, and can see at least 8 confirmed from The Dunstable crew (provided Gee's not skiing)

It has been suggested that it would be a good idea to identify participants for the 2nd January fly.

I can confirm myself but would prefer it if others could confirm their interest and attendance:-

The List...

Felix Mottram

I will be there as long as the weather is not too bad

The Hoaths will be there providing we don't get snowed in up North.

We have a team practice that day but i am sure we can find some time to fly this. Looking forward to it.

Thanks very much. Weather is the key...

'Team practice' ? What is that? <grins>

Felix

Lets hope the weather picks up a bit lol

I have printed out some sections of John's site as 'reminders' of some of the many possibilities that should be explored.

It would be good if participants did make an effort to familiarise themselves with John's site.

EDIT http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram

No Seriously Like Gary said which bits :blue-sleepy:

See you next week.

No Seriously...?

The Radar from Grid to two horizontal (or vertical) lines, then to spokes, rotate, fold to diamond or square, re-rotate, morph from diamond to square to diamond, form the ball, retract to centre and burst, morph back to grid, form the blocks follow that last routine that John pieced together from my sketch, (I still want to try the counter clockwise rotation before flying back to the grid), back to parallel lines and then explore the Zig Zag, specifically flying outwards in four pairs in each direction and then turning 90 degrees and then flying back to the centre and 'threading through'...

EDIT Oops I forgot the ladder-up launch to grid...

Tip of the iceberg? All to some tune by Don van Vliet, of course! <grins>

See you next week. I trust that you will be fully prepared!

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram

Everyone memorising every flyer's role in all those moves maybe a tad optimistic. Especially if people have thick heads :) Perhaps Simons idea of allocating positions to flyers in advance maybe productive?

When was the meet up BTW?

I was aiming at arriving at about 10:00am.

"I have no memory of anything at all"

Felix

Everyone memorising every flyer's role in all those moves maybe a tad optimistic. Especially if people have thick heads :) Perhaps Simons idea of allocating positions to flyers in advance maybe productive?

<snip>

At WSIKF 2010 the possibility of allocating fliers to specific places was discussed but 'on site' it was just not necessary.

As there is not really a planned routine, OK I rattled off some possibilities, it would be extremely difficult to notate the actual movements for each kite anyway. I refer to 'morphed' moves as well. Here the emphasis will be getting from one shape to another in a coordinated way. The actual route taken by each kite should be determined by the proximity of the other kites and the ability of the whole team to move simultaneously.

An example would be 16 square grid to 16 diamond. I'm thinking that this rotation of the whole grid could be initiated (from leading edges vertical all facing the same direction) by asking all the kites to rotate to 45 degrees in the direction that the grid is due to turn. Once the whole grid has rotated by 45 degrees the kites should then be horizontal in the diamond configuration. While I think that such a move will be quite 'simple' to do on the field drawing out individual moves is just not practical.

Anyway, let's not take it too seriously at the outset. The Super Sixteen at WSIKF was spontaneous, light hearted and great fun. I certainly hope that it can be the model for us next weekend. <grins>

Felix