Glowing revs?

ahofer

strobes and a battery system is the way to go,

smaller the better, (a 9 volt battery worth of total weight is out of the question)

must be completely removable

All white lights or R/W/B is expected

needs a couple hours of endurance on the battery (hearing aid, watch, cell phone, all of these are rechargable)

needs to fit (lock-down) on a 1point5 platform, at least light the intersections of the leading edge and down spars

2 lights if not 5 along the leading edge

has to be durable and rigidly mounted, impact with the ground should not dislodge or wink-out the system

DURABLE & Rigid

cost is no objective,

I've currently underwritten all research expenses and components, (failed or functional) with a retired owner of a tool & die manufacturing facility. I have great expectations, Barbara is worried about his final number. My gas tank is half full, her's is half empty!

PS: The last prototype was rejected, LEDs were pulled from a flashlight, required too much power. Strobe function is probably dead too, that's adding more weight. We each understand the objectives and this a guy who could land folks on Mars. I have great expectations, barbara's VERY worried, HA!

The problem with such tubing and wire is that you can't get real long lengths with the smaller battery components. I tried this with velcro stripping on the leading edge. It looked great in dark, but I couldn't frame the whole sail. :/ Not as bright as the LED lights either.

I have used childrens LED rings to light my Revs. I purchased them on eBay and are similar to these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3a581c3249

The ones I purchased have Velcro (instead of rubber bands) and easily attach to LE end caps and on to the vertical rods. They are bright and last for hours. Both types have identical LEDs (batteries are included).

They also come in handy when trying to wrap-up in the dark as they sit on your finger and are bright enough to do the trick, without holding or toting a flashlight.

I believe the lights Bazzer mentioned are the ones that iQuad attached/used at WSIKF while team flying during the fireworks. The 2030 ultra LED lights are brighter, but also pricy. BUT, if you were fortunate enough to see their (iQuad's) awesome performance I think you'd agree, in their case, well worth the cost! w00t.gif

Facebook photo of WSIKF iQuad performance:

http://www.facebook....7092.1553583418

Hi Andy-

As some have said, the different LED's or finger lights work great! I've been using small clip on lights that would go on a baseball cap. They're superbright and light and quickly set up. You do have to make sure that the clip part is past the seam so that it doesn't slip off. I'll show you when I see you. I also have a custom set that are really cool, too.

Sort of froze up Laura? How with you?

I did a +3C fly with snow on the ground a couple weekends ago. That's the lowest temps I have been out in with a kite. Thinking I may be able to handle some sub-zero if I work hard to convince myself I want to do it. I would like to extend my season as much as possible since I've been in the zone a few times on the learning curve so a real pity not to exploite it as much as possible. I brought back so much from wsikf I think my confidence level moved up a notch!

Thanks for taking pictures.

Bart

Hi Bart-

How's everything?

I'll get some photos and post them in the next few days.

Sort of froze up Laura? How with you?

I did a +3C fly with snow on the ground a couple weekends ago. That's the lowest temps I have been out in with a kite. Thinking I may be able to handle some sub-zero if I work hard to convince myself I want to do it. I would like to extend my season as much as possible since I've been in the zone a few times on the learning curve so a real pity not to exploite it as much as possible. I brought back so much from wsikf I think my confidence level moved up a notch!

Thanks for taking pictures.

Bart

The forecast for Blackheath this coming Sunday is 0C (feels like -4C) and snowing! Winds 8mph from the East. Sounds bracing <grins>

Maybe this should be in another thread!

Felix

the video had 'em mounted to magic-stick types of structures

and projecting the light onto the back of the sail,

with an all white sail, it's quite dramatic I must say!

I would agree, looks like the lights are mounted on magic-sticks.

What type of light do they use?

I know I have flown REVs down to around -10C. I use to fly every New Years Day in southern Germany. It could get quite cold.

The main problem flying at those low temps is the lines freezing up. Also the lines will stick to the snow thus creating additional problems. The cure for all of this is to leave your lines outside in the cold weather, don't take them inside. The moisture they absorb inside will cause the freezing when you go outside. Even when you traveling to a site to fly, keep your lines in the trunk(boot) so they stay cool.

3v lithium watch battery. 2030. ultra bright LED. repeat until you have enough.

Here's how we do our lights, as Bazzer describes...

Of course, has has a couple more tricks with conductive gel and adhesive pads that make it all work a bit better in application. ;)

• Like 1

Joe Meaux (SKYWLKR) had an interesting display on his Rev in Dieppe, NB a few years ago. His display had a switch that would change the display depending on the kite's orientation. I didn't get any pictures at the time, unfortunately.

I don't know if they are still sold, but mercury switches would be one way to change things with orientation.

Last Winter, I really got into trying to light up my rev. Winter here in Alaska, it's a must since you have so much of the day with no sunlight. I tried just about everything you can think of.

The battery powered Christmas lights worked best as far as the amount of light, but they are very heavy and the kite flies like a brick.

I got some flashing LED lights from Lowe's a couple months ago. They have a magnet system that works okay for keeping them on the kites as long as you don't flick the kite much.

Into the Wind sells a string lights system that looks good. The battery pack is a problem, but if you get it centered it's not REALLY bad.

A friend of mine built a system for me that has 4 super bright LEDs on it. He used 26-gauge wire, so that was no problem. The whole thing fit into a tictac box, and weighs almost nothing. I broke one of the wires, so have to repair it before I can actually try it...I'll let you know how that works.

--TaK

• 8 months later...