Wind forces and rods ?

Alomphega

Question

Hello,

I just received my first B-series and I'm happy !

Please I apologize for my bad English writing-reading, but as I don't find any "wind+force+rods" with the searchsite function I ask here.

With the B-series come 2 kind of rods, and the revkites website says :

"To keep you competitive, the B-Series comes with two frames... One 2-wrap (SUL) and one 3-wrap (UL), giving you the versatility of being able to switch your frames based on the current wind, and you can also slide your SUL leading edge rods in parallel with the UL leading edge when the wind is up, effectively doubling your leading edge strength"

But could you tell me what are the "official Revkites" recommendations ?

Say for instance :

1) with 1-2 Beaufort take the SUL

2) with 3-4 Bft take the UL

3) with 4-5 Bft take both in parallel

4) beyond 5 go to vented version...

Is that right as this ?

Thank you very much for your precious help,

Guy

20 answers to this question

It would be more like:

1-2 - SUL 2 wrap, professional use only rods.

2-3 - UL Ultra Light rods - Or 2 wrap in a Mid-Vent model.

4-5 - both rods (2+3 wrap rods) doubled up in the leading edge - Or 3-4 wrap rods in a full vent model.

5+ - Full Vented model with 4 wraps - or the new Ultra Vent Pro with 3 wraps.

Depending on your actual skills while flying, you may be able to stretch these limits a bit more but the above would be what I would recommend.

Edited by awindofchange

You will find that if you put one LE in as normal, the other will slide in beside it in the LE pocket.

It will be retained by friction, especially once in flight due to the flex of the LE.

Might be worth keeping a good eye on it, and maybe not dragging the tips along the ground in case it sticks out proud, and might be prone to damage.

<snip>

Might be worth keeping a good eye on it, and maybe not dragging the tips along the ground in case it sticks out proud, and might be prone to damage.

I tried it once and did not like it for exactly that reason.

I think that what Bazzer is saying about the new 'extra' vented kite is very interesting. In effect the 3 wrap spars are enough!

Felix

Or you could get a 4 wrap LE for those winds and only need one at a time!!! Unless you're flying in crazy winds!!! Then you need a broomstick!!

But broomsticks just transfer pressure to the sail which will, as a result, not last very long and produce a 'hard work' flying experience. <grins>

Felix

And if you know how to use it properly, even in lighter winds it gives the LE more weight, so more momentum, which is good some of the time.

Hang on, I dont have a SLE in my bag. Maybe I ought to get One? :kid_devlish:

I generally do not carry my SLE rods with me in my bag unless I am expecting stronger wind conditions. I have 3 and 4 wrap versions of the REV 1.5 SLE rods and a 4 wrap version of the REV I SLE rods.

I flew my older (1996-7) Rev 1 before the SLE tubes came out!! So I'm used to and partial to the 1/4" rods!! :kid_devlish: The old Rev 1 had 4 wrap rods that are still going after all these years!!:) When I got a vented 1.5 SLE, the first thing I did is take out the SLE tubes and put in the 3 wrap LE that came with it!!:lol: I don't think I've ever used the SLE tubes, ever!! :blink: Now I have a full selection of 1/4" rods to choose from; 2, 3, 4, race! Even got a race frame for the Rev 1! :) All have their ranges, and I like the choices!!:kid_devlish:

Thanks all for your answers,

Although I understand what you say, I guess I'm not experienced enough to notice the difference between the 2, 3 wraps and 4 wraps SLE.

So I will continue tu use my 3 wraps as long as I will be able to see differences between the original rods of my B-series.

Here is my last training, so you will se I'm a beginner at the beginning :

Best wishes,

Guy

Edited by Alomphega

Thanks all for your answers,

Although I understand what you say, I guess I'm not experienced enough to notice the difference between the 2, 3 wraps and 4 wraps SLE.

So I will continue tu use my 3 wraps as long as I will be able to see differences between the original rods of my B-series.

Here is my last training, so you will se I'm a beginner at the beginning :

Best wishes,

Guy

Hi Guy..

Nice movie.

One advice: It's better to place your thumbs against the top of the handles, so you can "push"the brakes.

This gives you more control in the stop and go movements.

Go on ..and have fun !!!!

<snip>

Here is my last training, so you will see I'm a beginner at the beginning :

Best wishes,

Guy

Hi Guy,

You under estimate yourself. You are way down the line to being a fully fledged Rev Pilot <grins>

It will take time to 'go automatic' but keep up the good work!

Felix

It is a pleasure to hear of serious endeavour. Maybe you will be able to visit Berck Plage in 2011.

[..]

In fact I'm a bit agoraphobic, so I'll try my best but I have to say it is becoming more and more painful for me to go to rallies....

Well, tell me if you come in France for Berck 2011 festival !

Best Regards,

Guy

You have the making's of being an accomplished flyer, the next thing to think about maybe, is slowing down the forward flight speed by applying a bit more brake by pushing the thumbs forward a small amount, this should help the transition into the hover's, as for being a bit of an agrophobic remember you are never alone flying a Rev as somewhere in the world someone else will be flying with you.