Axel tips?

ahofer

Ok cool! High winds kept me grounded today, I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Hopefully :)

One last question - let's say I began my first axel with a left to right slide - should I throw my left arm forward again before my second yank? When I follow thru with my arms after the first axel, my left arm is already kind of forward anyways.

If you are in an inverted slide from left to right, your left arm would normally be pulled back, yes? Before your second axel, you want to get back into the same samurai slide as you were before, so you will want your left arm to be pulled back before the second yank. Think of it as stopping in between axels and sliding for a fraction of a second.

If you are in an inverted slide from left to right, your left arm would normally be pulled back, yes? Before your second axel, you want to get back into the same samurai slide as you were before, so you will want your left arm to be pulled back before the second yank. Think of it as stopping in between axels and sliding for a fraction of a second.

Ok, back from kiting....

When I complete my first axel, and my Rev rotates back near the samurai slide position, I'm loading up the sail too much and wind up back in more of an inverted slide than a samurai slide. It's a reflexive thing for me, the kite feels so loose as it rotates out of the axel. I have to practice keeping the kite loose as it finishes the first axel. Then on to the timing of the next pop on the active line.

Thanks again for all the help :)

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Speaking of Axels, another one I've been trying to do (never seen anyone doing it as yet) and its probably near impossible but what about 'back to back axels' (or near) in opposite rotations ...I've had varying degrees of success, nothing I'd show on video mind you LOL.

I've done it. First time I did it was with a Zen prototype on thirty foot lines. I don't do it often because my left axel is too unreliable, but it is certainly doable.

My follow through has my arms following the motion of the kite as it rotates through the axel, partially in an effort to keep the lines slack, so I'm good there. I haven't even tried for the multiple axel yet, I keep getting hypnotized by the first axel, and miss my window for the second pop on the active line.

I can't do anything like this discussion, yet. But I certainly understand the hypnotized part of it.

I'm after that "fade to flick-flak landing". Ever seen Scott Weider do that? Man it's a killer two step, but it happens so fast. You do an axel, at half way around though you snap it powerfully into the flick position and then stick the landing. I'm severely left handed so I'm working on execution in both directions, my preference is doing it towards the right side. It will be awhile before I can stick this unconsciously though! It's all a timing thing, but done at warp speed. I have to work myself up to that pace each time I practice.

I'm after that "fade to flick-flak landing". Ever seen Scott Weider do that? Man it's a killer two step, but it happens so fast. You do an axel, at half way around though you snap it powerfully into the flick position and then stick the landing. I'm severely left handed so I'm working on execution in both directions, my preference is doing it towards the right side. It will be awhile before I can stick this unconsciously though! It's all a timing thing, but done at warp speed. I have to work myself up to that pace each time I practice.

Hack!!!!!ani_notworthy.gif

you know Rich,

when all the Riders have this technique down (with Weider's execution style & consistency) he'll actually work it into the routines to keep them challenging,...

Pez down from the right,

quarter turn pivot, (forward rollover) to inverted hover,

half axel to a fade, instantly flick-to a 2 point landing thereafter,

in unison as the music ends,

work on the geometry,

both Paul's stop jackin' around,

Laura quiet on the line,

Rich stop poking me

Walk when I do!

• Like 1

you know Rich,

when all the Riders have this technique down (with Weider's execution style & consistency) he'll actually work it into the routines to keep them challenging,...

Pez down from the right,

quarter turn pivot, (forward rollover) to inverted hover,

half axel to a fade, instantly flick-to a 2 point landing thereafter,

in unison as the music ends,

work on the geometry,

both Paul's stop jackin' around,

Laura quiet on the line,

Rich stop poking me

Walk when I do!

I wait for the video

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a sneak peek around 50 second mark of vid , back to back left to right axels

Great example of the Axel guys

Speaking of Axels, another one I've been trying to do (never seen anyone doing it as yet) and its probably near impossible but what about 'back to back axels' (or near) in opposite rotation

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

For me, unless the rev is facing the ground during it's rotation it's not an axel - it's nothing more than yanking a line and letting the kite 'bicycle spin' with slack lines (which to my eye is neither pretty nor a trick).

By my own standards, my axel attempts fail more often than not ... but I don't work on it too often since it's hard to get it flat (as it should be) and the chances of a person not knowlegable about revs understanding it are very small.

• Like 3

Practice makes perfect, it seems unreasonable to do only things that are easy.

If you can identify a personal weakness then make it your strength you are pushing the limits, the understanding or appreciation of others is not important in your growth. I want the skill to execute any Rev maneuver or trick, but at some point in my past history I could neither hold a hover inverted or back it up at all. We strive to improve and only thru practice will you get better. Of course our early efforts at slack line tricks are ugly, as were our first efforts about speaking or walking, heck we even learned bladder/bowel control but only after many months in diapers!

Tip stab axel launch, (repeatable in both directions!)

• 2 weeks later...

For me, unless the rev is facing the ground during it's rotation it's not an axel - it's nothing more than yanking a line and letting the kite 'bicycle spin' with slack lines (which to my eye is neither pretty nor a trick).

Another tricky thing to consider - your perspective and vantage point. Your axel could very well be perfectly flat to the ground, but if it isn't done at eye level (or camera lense level) it might look skewed.