Super Sixteen

Felix

We were fortunate to be able to get a taster of the 3D tube today. It will be a great opportunity to explore this further at YSP.

We are aiming to arrive at about 11am to get orientated and help with the arena.

I hope that we will arrive soon after.

Lots of ideas to play with <grins>

Felix

Really looking forward to this weekend.

http://www.ysp.co.uk...-friends-at-ysp

Like I said on the other place:- 'I think that this could potentially be a very good event for our collective CV.'

I'm hoping that 'someone' will be on hand to record what we do. At this stage the weather looks OK... 'touches wood' and all that.

See you Saturday morning.

Felix

Like I said on the other place:- 'I think that this could potentially be a very good event for our collective CV.'

I'm hoping that 'someone' will be on hand to record what we do. At this stage the weather looks OK... 'touches wood' and all that.

See you Saturday morning.

Felix

Wish I was there, take pictures...... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

Wish I was there, take pictures...... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

All being well it will be an intensive event as in the Monday morning at Portsmouth where ideas were put forward and adopted 'on the fly'.

We have some ideas for the 'counter revolving mercedes' and circular 'leaders benefit/Felix' lined up for the 12 - 16 person team so subject to weather conditions, (which look OK at the moment) it should really be an exciting weekend. If we get to explore the 3D grid, so much the better.

And, as a bonus, we get to see the Miro exhibition. What more could one ask?

Felix

• Like 2

Northern contigents all back home safe. Thank you Felix and all the Decs for a great weekend. The flying and company was great and the location exceptional. I even got to be a drover........already looking forward to the next one.

Northern contingent's all back home safe. Thank you Felix and all the Decs for a great weekend. The flying and company was great and the location exceptional. I even got to be a drover........already looking forward to the next one.

Thank you Vince and all of your team for having taken part in a very constructive weekend. The flying may have been a bit difficult at times but the ideas and discussions were great.

It was great that the representatives of the YSP turned up at the right moment today even if they missed the key moments yesterday!

We should set about planning the 'next one' as it really seems that the 'large team' format is the way to go, despite the logistical issues.

Felix

Thank you Vince and all of your team for having taken part in a very constructive weekend. The flying may have been a bit difficult at times but the ideas and discussions were great.

It was great that the representatives of the YSP turned up at the right moment today even if they missed the key moments yesterday!

We should set about planning the 'next one' as it really seems that the 'large team' format is the way to go, despite the logistical issues.

Felix

The YSP representative were extremely impressed and indicated they would like future events. They even suggested other areas of YSP which we could utilise.

I have already took the liberty of making some initial enquires for locations for the 'next one' I will keep you informed . I totally agree the large team format is the way to go.

• Like 2

The YSP representative were extremely impressed and indicated they would like future events. They even suggested other areas of YSP which we could utilise.

I have already took the liberty of making some initial enquires for locations for the 'next one' I will keep you informed . I totally agree the large team format is the way to go.

Very Well Done..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

Very Well Done..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

I think that it is great to have established some credibility with Yorkshire Sculpture Park.

I'm thinking that further developments of the 'Rev Mega Team' could be flier driven rather than only festival driven and that we might be able to further develop a network of practised fliers on that basis.

I guess it depends on whether the fliers are ready to to find time to commit to the 'large team objective' given that they are already working in small groups locally, developing flying skills.

Flying in teams of 12, 16 or more is 'something else' and must be encouraged...! <grins>

Felix

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Today we flew 16 at Dunstable.

The next planned event is at Shipley Country Park which is just north west of Nottingham. Dates 12th - 13th January 2013. We shall probably aim to do 12 - 4 on Saturday and 10 - 2 on Sunday.

Saturday night accommodation is being researched.

Felix

Let's add a standard set of numbers and letters to the repertoire to avoid future embarrassment! Kite move decision making by committee is not the way forward!

Hmmm! I rather like it when the committee makes a simultaneous collective decision to 'do something' without direction.

Somehow it carries significance <grins>

The fliers spontaneously 'stopped' today at one point and ironically they did it 'better' than if it had been called. I think that this was down to visual feedback and it really hints at a higher level of interaction that may be possible. The anticipation of calls and synchronisation of moves, say 'ladder up/down' is all part of this.

Hope to see lots of fliers at Shipley Country Park in January.

Felix

Let's add a standard set of numbers and letters to the repertoire to avoid future embarrassment! Kite move decision making by committee is not the way forward!

Awesome. We had a number 40 (and 41 for next year). It was a great day. I think the fluid nature of the fliers joining and leaving the grid as well as dialect, winter hats and voice strength could contribute to some of the potential difficulties, but I don't think it was flying by committee. Feedback seems to indicate a need for the flier to think about what happens and their role within that to overcome the difficulties already mentioned - not a bad thing.

Thank you for allowing us to fly with you at Dunstable TFS. The hospitality was truely Northern lol. Its always good to renew friendships. Some great shapes and ideas to work on for next time. It will be great to see how these shapes and the grid flying develops. It was well worth our 500 mile round trip. Finally Happy Birthday Mr Hoath we hope you enjoyed the day as much as we did. Hope to see many of you again in January.

Awesome. We had a number 40 (and 41 for next year). It was a great day. I think the fluid nature of the fliers joining and leaving the grid as well as dialect, winter hats and voice strength could contribute to some of the potential difficulties, but I don't think it was flying by committee. Feedback seems to indicate a need for the flier to think about what happens and their role within that to overcome the difficulties already mentioned - not a bad thing.

Thank you for allowing us to fly with you at Dunstable TFS. The hospitality was truely Northern lol. Its always good to renew friendships. Some great shapes and ideas to work on for next time. It will be great to see how these shapes and the grid flying develops. It was well worth our 500 mile round trip. Finally Happy Birthday Mr Hoath we hope you enjoyed the day as much as we did. Hope to see many of you again in January.

Hi Vince,

I think that it was 'awesome' that you made the trip on a scale (500 miles) that might be appreciated by some of our USA friends.

It was great to fly with your team again and I'm looking forward to the January event.

Interesting to hear of the feedback. I had noticed the 'slight hesitation' that we did not see at Portsmouth on the Monday morning when everyone was focused and 'got' the overall picture.

Felix

I think I agree with that, but I’m not sure how “Standard” we can make them. There are too many variables to create a standardised “font”, what you want to say, how many kites you have, and even how many kites you need for each letter or number. This time with 16 kites we did 40, eight kites for the 4 and eight for the zero. Next year for 41, four or maybe five kites will be ample for the “1” leaving plenty to build next years 4. I think what is needed for letters and numbers is a standardised method calling letters and numbers.

When you first called for a 20 from the 47 at Portsmouth in 2008, many thought you were crazy, but it worked and it worked well. (Oh and thanks again Stephen, this “Make Weight” is very proud to be able to say, “I was part of that”). A big part of the reason it worked was that your 47 was largely made up of world class Rev Team fliers, with the skill and experience to be able to weave their lines into a mess and remain aware of how to fly their kites safely back out again. Another is that I was in the right hand side of the grid and when alls said and done, zero is just a ball.

When working with Sixteens especially if you are talking of multiplying them up for a 100 kite mega-fly, who ever calls it is inevitably, going to be working with a lower mean level of both Skill and Experience. I feel the Caller will have to be far more specific with his calls and build the letters in the sky, calling on different kites or groups of kites to form each part or the letter. “Kites 1 – 5, Column on the left facing left”, “3 – 6, make it a P”, “7 & 8 make it an R”.

Just writing this post has made me realise just how ambitious text with 100 revs would be. I’m all for pushing boundaries but I think text is way too ambitious.

<snip>

Just writing this post has made me realise just how ambitious text with 100 revs would be. I'm all for pushing boundaries but I think text is way too ambitious.

Hi Bob,

I think that it will be very straightforward on the day especially after the Portsmouth event in 2008 as we demonstrated that 'we can just do it'. You were there and you did it, first time out... ever!!!

Thanks for your contribution.

Felix

• 2 weeks later...

Today we flew 16 at Dunstable.

The next planned event is at Shipley Country Park which is just north west of Nottingham. Dates 12th - 13th January 2013. We shall probably aim to do 12 - 4 on Saturday and 10 - 2 on Sunday.

Saturday night accommodation is being researched.

Felix

We have found that the Premier Inn has an offer via the following link:- http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/RIPBUT/ripley#4 They cannot match this by booking direct.

I think that the flying hours suggested will still apply, 12-4 and 10-2 as this will allow for civilised travel.

Felix