Super Sixteen

Felix

Today it is raining outside and relatively speaking, cold.

So, I have a draft of what I call the Octal Diamonds ready at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16

For those wondering about the software I am using, this is what it is.

For creating the revolution kite symbols which are vector drawings, I use Adobe Illustrator.

For creating the animations I use Adobe Flash.

For working with the image thumbnails I use first Microsoft OneNote to capture the image and Adobe Photoshop to resize it.

For the web site I use Adobe Dreamweaver for the html creation and uploading to my www.gyraphicdesign.com.

My Adobe software is now at CS5.

I have a res on the laptop of 1600x900 and can't see any play button, just a grey box as well.

Bart

I see the problem also on my laptop which is a slightly lower resolution.

If your using Firefox, you could try right clicking on the gray area and then click zoom out if it is not grayed out.

The present flash window is 700x700 which is a little outside of my laptops resolution when the Firefox window framing is added.

I will reduce the last Flash animation down to 600x600 and see how that works.

I see the problem also on my laptop which is a slightly lower resolution.

If your using Firefox, you could try right clicking on the gray area and then click zoom out if it is not grayed out.

The present flash window is 700x700 which is a little outside of my laptops resolution when the Firefox window framing is added.

I will reduce the last Flash animation down to 600x600 and see how that works.

OK!

I now have only the ZigZag Octal Diamond at 600x600. It function fine now on my slightly lower res laptop in comparison to yours.

The others I will alter to or add 600x600, at a later time.

OK!

I now have only the ZigZag Octal Diamond at 600x600. It function fine now on my slightly lower res laptop in comparison to yours.

The others I will alter to or add 600x600, at a later time.

There is another way to see the higher res animations, at least on Firefox.

Click on the thumbnail. When the gray area appears and you don't see the control buttons at the bottom, try this:

Move you mouse cursor to the right of the gray area into the white area. Hold Ctrl Alt on a PC (Alt-Apple on a MAC). Using the scroll wheel on your mouse scroll up and down. There is also a way to do this if you don't have a scroll wheel. Seems to me it was up and down cursor keys.

What this does is that it zooms in and out withing your browser. You can also use this in many other applications such as the Windows background icons.

So, I have a draft of what I call the Octal Diamonds ready at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16

For those wondering about the software I am using, this is what it is.

For creating the revolution kite symbols which are vector drawings, I use Adobe Illustrator.

For creating the animations I use Adobe Flash.

For working with the image thumbnails I use first Microsoft OneNote to capture the image and Adobe Photoshop to resize it.

For the web site I use Adobe Dreamweaver for the html creation and uploading to my www.gyraphicdesign.com.

My Adobe software is now at CS5.

John,

Would I be correct in assuming that there are no wraps in this sequence?

If so have you considered morphing the diamond back along the horizontal plane then back again?

This is looking more like a mixture of kaleidoscope and exploding squares - in square dance terminology.

Felix,

Do you think your sprocket (asymmetric exchange the diamond) would work with Revs in pairs (line abreast) and so involve 16 kites in two large pinwheels (star promenades).

I am enjoying seeing this thread develop.

Cheers

Stephen

John,

Would I be correct in assuming that there are no wraps in this sequence?

If so have you considered morphing the diamond back along the horizontal plane then back again?

This is looking more like a mixture of kaleidoscope and exploding squares - in square dance terminology.

Felix,

Do you think your sprocket (asymmetric exchange the diamond) would work with Revs in pairs (line abreast) and so involve 16 kites in two large pinwheels (star promenades).

Cheers

Stephen

All animation is carefully be calculated so that there is always less then a 360 degree twist in individual lines.

As for you ideas, please sketch them out on paper, scan them and send them to me. I will place them in the queue of ideas.

As they say, pictures are worth a thousand words.

Thanks,

John

snip....

It hasn't stopped raining, so I have progressed a bit further.

A draft version of the ZigZag Horizontal setup is now available at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16

The idea here is that this would be the setup stage for various other maneuvers derived from the zigzag horizontal.

There is another way to see the higher res animations, at least on Firefox.

Click on the thumbnail. When the gray area appears and you don't see the control buttons at the bottom, try this:

Move you mouse cursor to the right of the gray area into the white area. Hold Ctrl Alt on a PC (Alt-Apple on a MAC). Using the scroll wheel on your mouse scroll up and down. There is also a way to do this if you don't have a scroll wheel. Seems to me it was up and down cursor keys.

What this does is that it zooms in and out withing your browser. You can also use this in many other applications such as the Windows background icons.

I also get a fairly large Grey box when I open the animation. I use Ctrl + or Ctrl - to resize the window. Pretty easy to do.

However I do have a fairly high (ish) res screen here so not sure if it would work the same on a lower res.

Oh I am using Win 7 and IE 8, not sure if the info helps at all?

Bit more info I just thought to add.

Screen set at 1230 x 1024 the 600 x 600 I do not need to resize, the others I do need to resize. Hope this might help.

Edited by Baloo

I also get a fairly large Grey box when I open the animation. I use Ctrl + or Ctrl - to resize the window. Pretty easy to do.

However I do have a fairly high (ish) res screen here so not sure if it would work the same on a lower res.

Oh I am using Win 7 and IE 8, not sure if the info helps at all?

Bit more info I just thought to add.

Screen set at 1230 x 1024 the 600 x 600 I do not need to resize, the others I do need to resize. Hope this might help.

I am working on a change to 16:10 as this is closer to the real wind window on the field.

The size 16:9 was also considered to match a lot of the monitors these days however it does create additional other problems.

<snip>

Felix,

Cheers

Stephen

Stephen,

It may well be possible but would be 'very' demanding! It isn't trivial with single kites...

Of course we could consider flying two eights in parallel <grins>

Felix

• Like 1

<snip>

I think that this Octal Diamonds is a great move and offers a whole range of further developments.

I had previously sketched four diamonds (2 x 2) as a transition from the 16 grid and wondered where the next move may be!

I'm thinking that the logical next move would be to horizontal lines...

Felix

• Like 1

I think that this Octal Diamonds is a great move and offers a whole range of further developments.

I had previously sketched four diamonds (2 x 2) as a transition from the 16 grid and wondered where the next move may be!

I'm thinking that the logical next move would be to horizontal lines...

Felix

Felix,

As you can see from my last message yesterday I am working the horizontal zig-zag which I do believe will relieve some of the problem of the vertical going to high thus the upper kites have problems positioning properly.

At present I am lowering the window and making it slight wider. Basically this is a lot of clean up before I continue with the rest. Surely I will be doing only this most of the day. Then I can get back to the more fun stuff below.

My next move it to morph from the horizontal zig-zag in to 4 diamonds, then 2, then 1. From here I could morph to a horizontal line or return to the zig-zag and then to a horizontal line or whatever we come up with.

Your thoughts?

Felix,

As you can see from my last message yesterday I am working the horizontal zig-zag which I do believe will relieve some of the problem of the vertical going to high thus the upper kites have problems positioning properly.

At present I am lowering the window and making it slight wider. Basically this is a lot of clean up before I continue with the rest. Surely I will be doing only this most of the day. Then I can get back to the more fun stuff below.

My next move it to morph from the horizontal zig-zag in to 4 diamonds, then 2, then 1. From here I could morph to a horizontal line or return to the zig-zag and then to a horizontal line or whatever we come up with.

Your thoughts?

I'm thinking that we need to fly some of these elements asap. Today we flew some 'parallel diagonal' moves (maintaining a diagonal line across the window but flying forwards) as if part of the 16 Diamond.

.........|

......|

...|

|

Here is the 2x2 diamonds I mentioned elsewhere:-

|..|..|..|

|..|..|..|

|..|..|..|

|..|..|..|

to:-

/..\/..\

\../\../

/..\/..\

\../\../

maybe to:-

_.._.._.._

_.._.._.._

_.._.._.._

_.._.._.._

Felix

• Like 1

I'm thinking that we need to fly some of these elements asap. Today we flew some 'parallel diagonal' moves (maintaining a diagonal line across the window but flying forwards) as if part of the 16 Diamond.

snip ...

Felix

May I interpret this as dots meaning spacing and the bar referring to the leading edge?

May I interpret this as dots meaning spacing and the bar referring to the leading edge?

Yes...

I have not got a better shorthand at this stage. <grins>

I'll leave it to the reader to determine which direction the leading edge may be travelling!

Felix

• Like 2

It hasn't stopped raining, so I have progressed a bit further.

A draft version of the ZigZag Horizontal setup is now available at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16

The idea here is that this would be the setup stage for various other maneuvers derived from the zigzag horizontal.

A shorter and wider screen version of the ZigZag Horizontal setup is now available at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16

This to me appears closer to real life conditions.

The Show Goes On!

From the Horizontal ZigZag I have added the first maneuver to start from the Horizontal ZigZag.

This one being Horizontal Diamonds. It is actually Horizontal Diamonds that morph to Vertical diamonds and back.

As usual you can view them at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16

The Show Goes On!

From the Horizontal ZigZag I have added the first maneuver to start from the Horizontal ZigZag.

This one being Horizontal Diamonds. It is actually Horizontal Diamonds that morph to Vertical diamonds and back.

As usual you can view them at: http://gyraphicdesign.com/Super16

Hi John,

That is exactly as I had imagined it in my earlier post. You have managed it without me having to sketch it out.

I think that morphing shapes with a sixteen grid is probably the best method to start out.

I think that many of my ideas for square dance figures are going to be a little too difficult for sixteen. Morphing and creating kaleidoscope patterns is going to allow more safe escape routes rather than having sixteen sets of lines all involved in a large wrap.

I still keep thinking of what might work. I really need to get some practice in and improve my skills so that I get a better understanding of what is feasible. Watching Felix and Co. making it all look very easy does not help to restrain my ideas.

I love your animations, thanks for your hard work.

Cheers

Stephen

Hi John,

That is exactly as I had imagined it in my earlier post. You have managed it without me having to sketch it out.

I think that morphing shapes with a sixteen grid is probably the best method to start out.

I think that many of my ideas for square dance figures are going to be a little too difficult for sixteen. Morphing and creating kaleidoscope patterns is going to allow more safe escape routes rather than having sixteen sets of lines all involved in a large wrap.

I still keep thinking of what might work. I really need to get some practice in and improve my skills so that I get a better understanding of what is feasible. Watching Felix and Co. making it all look very easy does not help to restrain my ideas.

I love your animations, thanks for your hard work.

Cheers

Stephen

It was not intentional as I had not got around to trying to interpret what you had written.

I have many of my ideas noted but not detailed.

More animations are coming today and even a bit of organization is starting to come about.

As far as Square Dancing goes, I don't have a clue in that area other then it does not require lines.

Hi John,

<snip>

Cheers

Stephen

OK, talking of morphing, what does 'the panel' think would be the best way to move to a 'four kites per leg pin wheel' starting from the 4x4 grid?

\............/

..\......../

....\..../

......\/

....../\

...../...\

..../......\

.../.........\

(Roughly speaking <grins>)

Felix