Super Sixteen

Felix

Ha! I think that we had figured that the minimum grid was 1.5 kite widths apart. At this stage we should probably allow a little bit extra for 'pilot comfort'. <grins>

Felix

For animated drawing purposes, I think I would be fine with 1.5 widths between tips of two REVs.

If I allowed for the pilot comfort zone, then I would not have enough stage(real estate) left for moving around very much.

It's looking like a REV width plus 10% will do fine in the animated drawings.

Of course in real life, on the field, it will increase a lot.

On the field today we were flying with minus 10% and dealing with the collisions. It was all quite gentle, no lives were lost.

Felix

Wait for it to cycle through the second time. As it is loading onto your computer it may be a bit stop-and-go. The second time through, it is much smoother. (That's just the nature of large animated GIFs.)

Edited by --Pete

Okay, attached is the Diamond Thread or what ever it may be called.

Click on the image to see the animation.

<snip>

John,

Thanks for that! It looks great.

The other variation I had wanted to introduce was for the kites in the initial square to take the 'diagonal' alignment and then thread from there. I'm wondering if I have understood your '90 degree weave' in this context?

Would you be up for animating the parallel 90 degree turn 'infinity'?

Felix

I think the Decs' "bigot"* move would work well in a grid.

Counting from the left start with 4 rows of odds facing up, evens facing down. Odds all move one place to right by pivoting over even kites (ending facing down). Evens all move one place to left by pivoting under odd kites (ending facing up). Repeat sequence, so that the two odd kites are now on the right side of the row and the evens are on the left.

All 180 turn on spot. Unwind above two moves to arrive back at starting grid but with odds now facing down and even facing up.

You could then continue the move by going the other way.

* so called because of out former prime minister's way with words ;)

David,

Could you try explaining this again?

How many kites are involved? 16?

John

Hi John

Yes the move starts with the 4 by 4 grid.

In each row (and numbering from the left) odds turn to face up, evens face down. The odd kite then pivots to the right and over the even kite to take it's place, ending up facing down. The even kite has pivoted left and under to where the odd kite started.

Repeat sequence, so that the two odd kites are now on the right side of the row and the evens are on the left.

All 180 turn on spot. Unwind above two moves to arrive back at starting grid but with odds now facing down and even facing up.

hope this is clearer!

Hi John

Yes the move starts with the 4 by 4 grid.

In each row (and numbering from the left) odds turn to face up, evens face down. The odd kite then pivots to the right and over the even kite to take it's place, ending up facing down. The even kite has pivoted left and under to where the odd kite started.

Repeat sequence, so that the two odd kites are now on the right side of the row and the evens are on the left.

hope this is clearer!

David, You wouldn't by chance be referring to columns, instead of rows?

Hello Felix-

How have you been?

Here's one:

Have the top two rows face right, the bottom two left and have the columns doing a 90 degree pinwheel and then thread vertically, 180 and then back to the middle and pinwheel the other way. You can then thread again, if you like.

Has anyone tried doing dosey doe/ matrix??? That should be an easy one and look really cool, too.

xoxo to all of you guys.

Hello Felix-

How have you been?

Here's one:

Have the top two rows face right, the bottom two left and have the columns doing a 90 degree pinwheel and then thread vertically, 180 and then back to the middle and pinwheel the other way. You can then thread again, if you like.

Has anyone tried doing dosey doe/ matrix??? That should be an easy one and look really cool, too.

xoxo to all of you guys.

Hello Laura,

All is well. I think that the dosey doe is in the scheme of things but do not quite get the 90 degree pinwheel and thread. Are you able to draw it in some way and post?

Best wishes

Felix

Hello Laura,

All is well. I think that the dosey doe is in the scheme of things but do not quite get the 90 degree pinwheel and thread. Are you able to draw it in some way and post?

Best wishes

Felix

Hello Felix...

Here goes:

>

>

<

< ..... 90 degrees pinwheel forward to horizontal.... ^^vv ..... fly forward to top and bottom, 180 and return to center pinwheel back to undo wrap.

It's sort of like doing a partial team matrix. Threading wasn't the right term as the pairs are either moving up or down. As everyone is flying forward, it would be easy to get into this (I think)....

Hope this helps.

Take care.

Edited by Love2fly

Hello Felix...

Here goes:

>

>

<

< ..... 90 degrees pinwheel forward to horizontal.... ^^vv ..... fly forward to top and bottom, 180 and return to center pinwheel back to undo wrap.

<snip>

Hi Laura,

Did you mean like this for the 16?

> > > > (NB more space between the columns Edit)

> > > >

< < < <

< < < <

^^vv^^vv^^vv^^vv

It might be a bit tight on the horizontal but with care should be possible!

Thanks very much.

Felix

Edited by Felix Mottram

Hi Laura,

Did you mean like this for the 16?

> > > > (NB more space between the columns Edit)

> > > >

< < < <

< < < <

^^vv^^vv^^vv^^vv

It might be a bit tight on the horizontal but with care should be possible!

Thanks very much.

Felix

Hi Felix-

Absolutely with sixteen. It should look cool with the constant movement. To add to that move, you could easily have the columns all pinwheel 360 degrees (there will be two points of a horizontal line of 16) with everyone doing a 180 and flying out of it 360 degrees back to original position (everyone would be facing the opposite direction).

David, Here is what I understand from what you sent me.

<snip>

In the .swf version, not attached, there are Flash Action Script pauses between each maneuver. Unfortunately .gif doesn't understand these pauses.

That looks correct to me!

Going back to threads it occurs to me that slow wing tip 360s up and down would look superb. <grins>

Felix

If you've got the time and inclination John could you please animate this one? :)

Grid radar's-

From the bottom:

All kites face left

Radar in column lines 60 degrees to the left around the bottom kites, i.e. the wingtip of the bottom kite in each column is nailed to the sky as it's leading edge radars 60 degrees to the left; the 3 kites above in each column maintain a straight line through their leading edges as they radar 6o degrees simultaneously

All kites 180 turn up on the spot

Radar in column lines 120 degrees to the right around the bottom kites

All kites 180 turn up on the spot

Radar in column lines 60 degrees to the left around the bottom kites - ending up in opening grid positions with all kites facing left

From the top:

As above but with the top kites in each column acting as the point around which the radar rotates