Super Sixteen

Felix

At Long Beach on the final Saturday a fairly spontaneous 16 grid was put together in the lighter breezes. The main factor was that the grid was in continuous motion in order to maintain position/flying viability. Moves were performed and then the pack returned to the left/right traverse with turn ups (mostly) at either end of the window. It was 'great fun' and in my view suggests a way of developing the Mega Team project.

I'm thinking that we could set about designing the components of a routine based initially on 16 kites. I would suggest that the first move would be from the ground with all the kites set in a line. The top line of grid kites would take off and face left (or right) above the second line kites. The top line kites would then 'ladder up' with the second line kites taking off and turning to the opposite side. This would progress through the final two rows and then a horizontal thread would conclude the initial section.

I have visions of four block rotations following on from this initial section but think that it would be best to ask for everyone who may want to be involved to furnish suggestions as to how a complete routine could be developed.

There are many formative ideas about what may be possible with the 16 (or more) grid but I think that it would be helpful if say, ahead of Berck 2011 a sub-set (16) of the possible Mega-Team be identified and that they work together ahead of the event.

At Dunstable last weekend it was evident that the fliers were capable but we were not all familiar with all the possibilities. Likewise the callers <grins>

Thoughts?

Felix

• Like 2

At Long Beach on the final Saturday a fairly spontaneous 16 grid was put together in the lighter breezes. The main factor was that the grid was in continuous motion in order to maintain position/flying viability. Moves were performed and then the pack returned to the left/right traverse with turn ups (mostly) at either end of the window. It was 'great fun' and in my view suggests a way of developing the Mega Team project.

I'm thinking that we could set about designing the components of a routine based initially on 16 kites. I would suggest that the first move would be from the ground with all the kites set in a line. The top line of grid kites would take off and face left (or right) above the second line kites. The top line kites would then 'ladder up' with the second line kites taking off and turning to the opposite side. This would progress through the final two rows and then a horizontal thread would conclude the initial section.

I have visions of four block rotations following on from this initial section but think that it would be best to ask for everyone who may want to be involved to furnish suggestions as to how a complete routine could be developed.

There are many formative ideas about what may be possible with the 16 (or more) grid but I think that it would be helpful if say, ahead of Berck 2011 a sub-set (16) of the possible Mega-Team be identified and that they work together ahead of the event.

At Dunstable last weekend it was evident that the fliers were capable but we were not all familiar with all the possibilities. Likewise the callers <grins>

Thoughts?

Felix

Hi Felix, That's a great idea !  Like you say the skill level is increasing all the time, and that we didn't have the recognised callers there at Dunstable.  We had Gary T, Ash & Myself at more than one occasion. And I know how hard it was to be viewing the grid and calling at the same time as thinking of the next moves.  So a set 16 person routine will be great.

Do you want a fully choreographed routine or just a set routine?

Hi Felix, That's a great idea ! Like you say the skill level is increasing all the time, and that we didn't have the recognised callers there at Dunstable. We had Gary T, Ash & Myself at more than one occasion. And I know how hard it was to be viewing the grid and calling at the same time as thinking of the next moves. So a set 16 person routine will be great.

Do you want a fully choreographed routine or just a set routine?

Both! <grins>

Felix

• Like 1

Would the team consist of just recognised flyers,Flying squad and decs,or

Would the positions be open to all flyers,as you saw last

Weekend,there are various abilities,so there would be

Potential for a larger grid

Just a thought

At Long Beach it was a self selected 16 fliers who felt confident that they could cope with the conditions.

The focus would be on preparing a complete performance which could be 'learned' by many 'potential' performers ahead of the event. (I believe that The Flying Squad have a couple of routines that they are able to induct fliers into at short notice providing they have sufficient flying experience.)

There will always be the potential for the larger grid <grins>

Felix

• Like 1

Count me in with whatever is organised as I enjoy the grid flying very much.It's a glorious sight to

See all the revs in the air together

The key idea is to prepare a sequence of moves ahead of the event and to make sure that 'everyone' who may potentially take part knows the 'score'.

It certainly is very special to see all the Revs in the air together.

Felix

• Like 2

Would you be willing to put a sequence of moves together for us potential

Grid flyers to practice over the winter months

This thread is already going in the direction I was going to suggest. Need a "team manual" for the bigger grid. Of course now that I got my feet wet with this whole grid concept I'll all in for seeing it move forward.

Bart

I was hoping that others would be prepared to make suggestions for the sequence of moves.

This afternoon I pictured the 16 grid in a square rotating to a diamond! It is a small move for individual fliers but could be very effective as long as everyone knew what was expected. There are some switches to diagonal configurations that could be very effective along the lines of the David Ellison 'Radar'.

Felix

• Like 1

I was hoping that others would be prepared to make suggestions for the sequence of moves.

This afternoon I pictured the 16 grid in a square rotating to a diamond! It is a small move for individual fliers but could be very effective as long as everyone knew what was expected. There are some switches to diagonal configurations that could be very effective along the lines of the David Ellison 'Radar'.

Felix

<grins>

And then we could fly a parallel infinity...

Way to go!

Felix

• Like 1

Felix

If you rotate cw or ccw 45 degrees to the diamond, in what direction would the REVs face at the start and then at the finish?

Why do I ask? I am thinking about warming up my Flash skills again.

I like the idea of animations since I have a hard time following written descriptions on these things.

As for suggesting moves? How about horizontal and vertical threads. I am partial to them since I didn't crash and burn during any of those at wsikf. laugh.gif

I'd have to leave those up to the better minds.

Bart

If you rotate cw or ccw 45 degrees to the diamond, in what direction would the REVs face at the start and then at the finish?

Why do I ask? I am thinking about warming up my Flash skills again.

I like the idea of animations since I have a hard time following written descriptions on these things.

As for suggesting moves? How about horizontal and vertical threads. I am partial to them since I didn't crash and burn during any of those at wsikf. laugh.gif

I'd have to leave those up to the better minds.

Bart

To begin with, keep the same relative angle. Then, flying forwards into an 'Infinity' would make sense <grins>

I have also wondered about taking the diagonal alignment across the grid and threading from there.

Felix

• Like 1

I think the Decs' "bigot"* move would work well in a grid.

Counting from the left start with 4 rows of odds facing up, evens facing down. Odds all move one place to right by pivoting over even kites (ending facing down). Evens all move one place to left by pivoting under odd kites (ending facing up). Repeat sequence, so that the two odd kites are now on the right side of the row and the evens are on the left.

All 180 turn on spot. Unwind above two moves to arrive back at starting grid but with odds now facing down and even facing up.

You could then continue the move by going the other way.

* so called because of out former prime minister's way with words ;)

Hi,

I am a complete beginner in terms of Revolution Team flying, but I have been a Square Dance Caller for over 30 years. For the past several years I have watched teams fly at Portsmouth and equated several of the figures with square dance moves. I have often thought that it would be possible to have a Square Dance routine for Revs. Although Square Dance is normally performed in groups (squares) of 8 it is possible to work with 16. Many of the figures involve 2 or more people (Revs). Some of the figures that involve everybody can be quite complex but would look very good in the sky. At Portsmouth this year in the Rev arena I was able to hear for the first time callers working with teams.

My BIGGEST stumbling block is that I have NO comprehension of line wraps and the feasibility of transferring Square Dance Figures into suitable Rev choreography. I do know that it is not as simple as just completing a figure, turning 180 and retracing the steps although this might be the case for some of the traditional dances (Venus ans Mars). Some figures may well be possible such as spin chain the gears (see http://www.tamtwirle..._the_gears.html for an animated run through) which will work for any multiple of 4. The taminations site has many of the Square dance figures nicely animated.

I may well just be talking rubbish of course and wraps make it all too difficult.

Cheers

Stephen

<snip>

I think you are right. The big step, as I see it is in moving from the basic thread or 'straight line' moves (bursts etc.) to wrapped line moves.

Along the way I think that parallel figures could be very effective. I mentioned 'infinity' from the 'diamond' and on Blackheath today we flew it as four with 90 degree turns having taken the initial diagonal alignment.

This also prompted the thought that this was something that could be 'rehearsed' without all sixteen fliers.

We also 'developed' the launch sequence that I had suggested by having the kites on the ground 'stepping' towards the airborne ones. This could be from 'face up', 'face down' or 'wing tip stand' depending on the wind conditions.

Felix

• Like 1

Hi,

I am a complete beginner in terms of Revolution Team flying, but I have been a Square Dance Caller for over 30 years.

<snip>

I may well just be talking rubbish of course and wraps make it all too difficult.

Cheers

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thanks very much for posting. I think that we knew that there could be a connection but had not followed it through.

It's all in the wraps but that will not stop us <grins>

There may be an informal event down on the South Coast soon similar to the Dunstable event last weekend. It would be great if you were able to attend and do some calling...

Felix

• Like 1

To begin with, keep the same relative angle. Then, flying forwards into an 'Infinity' would make sense <grins>

I have also wondered about taking the diagonal alignment across the grid and threading from there.

Felix

I created an animate gif for what I understand from the first sentence.

post-41-128854241491_thumb.gif

(click on the image to see the animation)

The next sentence animation will be next.

I created an animate gif for what I understand from the first sentence. post-41-128854241491_thumb.gif (click on the image to see the animation) The next sentence animation will be next.

Hey John,

That's perfect <grins>

Felix

Edit, those following closely may realise that I had envisaged a left or right facing grid for moving on into an 'infinity'

Edited by Felix Mottram
  • Like 1

Counting from the left start with 4 rows of odds facing up, evens facing down. Odds all move one place to right by pivoting over even kites (ending facing down). Evens all move one place to left by pivoting under odd kites (ending facing up). Repeat sequence, so that the two odd kites are now on the right side of the row and the evens are on the left.

All 180 turn on spot. Unwind above two moves to arrive back at starting grid but with odds now facing down and even facing up.

You could then continue the move by going the other way.

* so called because of out former prime minister's way with words ;)

David, I did not miss yours. It is third in the pipeline, which means following the thread. It looks quite interesting.

Fine, now I must work on the basics for a while so I can continue on.

You will notice in the first animation that the grid was shrinking and enlarging. I'll cure that now.

I had noticed the shrinking/enlarging but in the scheme of things did not think that it mattered.

Equally, at this stage the face up/down/left/right options for the switch from regular grid to diamond matter further down the road. We have not attempted this transition previously so we may need a bit of flexibility on the day <grins>

Felix

I had noticed the shrinking/enlarging but in the scheme of things did not think that it mattered.

Equally, at this stage the face up/down/left/right options for the switch from regular grid to diamond matter further down the road. We have not attempted this transition previously so we may need a bit of flexibility on the day <grins>

Felix

I noticed that when I have the REVs facing right or left, that there is not enough separation to do a thread. I will start the grid out with a bit more separation between each REV, say about 1-1/2 widths of a REV.

I noticed that when I have the REVs facing right or left, that there is not enough separation to do a thread. I will start the grid out with a bit more separation between each REV, say about 1-1/2 widths of a REV.

Ha! I think that we had figured that the minimum grid was 1.5 kite widths apart. At this stage we should probably allow a little bit extra for 'pilot comfort'. <grins>

Felix