New Ultra Race Rods from Rev

awindofchange

Ok, Ben talked about these briefly but I am unable to find his post. This is a picture of the new Ultra Race Rods that Revolution has designed. My new Bazzar Eyes came in with these rods and I wanted to show just how strong they are. These new rods have a green tint to them compared to the normal black/gray color on normal rods. The rod is almost the exact same diameter of the normal Race Rods so they are ultra thin and very light weight, but as you can see from the picture, can take an incredible amount of stress and flex without breaking.

Very awesome and space age technology at work from the minds of Revolution! :)

These pictures are also posted in my photo gallery.

post-81-12877071697_thumb.jpg

post-81-128770717721_thumb.jpg

Ok, Ben talked about these briefly but I am unable to find his post. This is a picture of the new Ultra Race Rods that Revolution has designed. My new Bazzar Eyes came in with these rods and I wanted to show just how strong they are. These new rods have a green tint to them compared to the normal black/gray color on normal rods. The rod is almost the exact same diameter of the normal Race Rods so they are ultra thin and very light weight, but as you can see from the picture, can take an incredible amount of stress and flex without breaking.

Very awesome and space age technology at work from the minds of Revolution! :)

These pictures are also posted in my photo gallery.

I've had a test set for about two months and I must say, I am very impressed.

I have tried breaking them by pounding the ground at various angles, back flips in strong winds and etc. They just won't break.

@Kent.....Haahahahahaa........I think the statement about the quantity of kites you have and your wifes knowledge of such is common in more placess than you know.....my house included.

Kent........Where u gonna be Monday morning? Looks like I'm gonna have a few hours as my call time is 2pm.

@Mr Mitchell............I too have had a set of these rods for some time now and I haven't been able to bust em up yet........but its still early in the R&D (Rich & Destroy) phase!!!!!

We should be getting more of them in stock from Rev in the next week or so. Let me know if you need a set and I can set one aside for you.

@Quaa, We'll be in the store on Monday but if the weather is nice I may be able to sneak out for a quick fly. :) Give me a call when you get in town and we can hook up....either on the field or at least at the shop.

Edited by awindofchange

@Quaa, We'll be in the store on Monday but if the weather is nice I may be able to sneak out for a quick fly. smile.gif Give me a call when you get in town and we can hook up....either on the field or at least at the shop.

Cool!!!!!

PM sent.

Travelling light, no kites. OPK ok? :)

Interesting Rods, and I remember Ben saying they might not suit everybody.

I wonder Kent, do you think that was at full bend, or do you recon it would go further than that.

Maybe Rich would be good enough to test one to destruction for us. :kid_devlish:

• Like 1

Interesting Rods, and I remember Ben saying they might not suit everybody.

I wonder Kent, do you think that was at full bend, or do you recon it would go further than that.

Maybe Rich would be good enough to test one to destruction for us.

I flew with these rods today, in the full sail initially and later in the full vented.

They felt 'crisp' to me but I will have to try swapping frames 'back to back' at some point.

Testing to destruction has always been a tough call...

Felix

• 4 months later...

Recently when I visited the Revolution factory I asked about the possibility of green rods for the REV I.

To make a long story short, the next time I visited the factory they had a set waiting for me.

My tests are still not completed however I must say I am quite impressed in every area I tested them.

For my test I am using the Sedgwick sail.

My comparison rod was the standard 3 wrap rod as I don't not have the race rods for the REV I.

One distinctive feature I notice was the smoothness in starting a turn. Where the 3 wrap is somewhat jumpy, the green rod is absolutely smooth.

In flight comparison I have not tested the 2 nor 4 wrap rods.

Stiffness order:

- 2 wrap

- green rod

- 3 wrap

- 4 wrap

Weight (without a scale):

- 2 wrap

- green rod

- 3 wrap

- 4 wrap

Robustness (assumption):

- 2 wrap

- 3 wrap

- 4 wrap

- green rod

This will be my all around standard rod for the REV I in the future.

I have not yet compared the ZEN, though I have a set.

Recently when I visited the Revolution factory I asked about the possibility of green rods for the REV I.

To make a long story short, the next time I visited the factory they had a set waiting for me.

Oooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oooooohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess you could call them the Long Rich Rods!

ame='quaa714' date='20 March 2011 - 01:41 PM' timestamp='1300653714' post='78721']

I guess you could call them the Long Rich Rods!

John,

The green race rods for the 1.5 do seem to 'load smoothly' compared to the standard race rods.

I will look forward to trying the greens in the Rev 1 and the Zen!

Felix

John,

The green race rods for the 1.5 do seem to 'load smoothly' compared to the standard race rods.

I will look forward to trying the greens in the Rev 1 and the Zen!

Felix

For the 1.5 I tend to prefer the green over any of the other rods due to smoothness and robustness.

I think what I need to do is to make a comparison between the green, race, zen and the standard 3 wrap rods on the REV I and and ZEN.

Even better would be to have 4 identical REV I sails and 4 ZEN sails to use in the comparison, however that many sails is not within my means.

• 2 weeks later...

John and Felix, interesting--everything else I've read about the green rods seems to be about how unbreakable they are, not about their flight performance. You actually prefer the feel? Are they maybe useful for slightly higher winds, when you would otherwise have to switch from black race to 3 wraps?

John and Felix, interesting--everything else I've read about the green rods seems to be about how unbreakable they are, not about their flight performance. You actually prefer the feel? Are they maybe useful for slightly higher winds, when you would otherwise have to switch from black race to 3 wraps?

I thought that the black race rods were supposed to be as strong as 3 wrap but I am loath to test anything to destruction. The green race rods have appeared to me to be 'stiffer' than the black race rods but I have not heard if the 'testing by applying weights' has confirmed this. I only have visual observation of kites in flight to go by.

I feel more confident with LE rods that do not flex 'too far' which is a poor explanation but somehow sums up the flying experience. I suspect that if the kite has 'sufficient' reverse on the line settings the tendency for the LE to flex may be reduced as well! <grins>

Felix

I thought that the black race rods were supposed to be as strong as 3 wrap but I am loath to test anything to destruction. The green race rods have appeared to me to be 'stiffer' than the black race rods but I have not heard if the 'testing by applying weights' has confirmed this. I only have visual observation of kites in flight to go by.

I feel more confident with LE rods that do not flex 'too far' which is a poor explanation but somehow sums up the flying experience. I suspect that if the kite has 'sufficient' reverse on the line settings the tendency for the LE to flex may be reduced as well! <grins>

Felix

I have felt that the rods feel great in light winds, but once the sail loads up, the rods keep bending farther as the pressure increases. It also doesn't seem to snap back into place quite like the regular race rods, and give the kite a bit more of a soft or bouncy feeling. As is, I prefer 3-wrap or 4-wrap to the green race rods.

I have felt that the rods feel great in light winds, but once the sail loads up, the rods keep bending farther as the pressure increases. It also doesn't seem to snap back into place quite like the regular race rods, and give the kite a bit more of a soft or bouncy feeling. As is, I prefer 3-wrap or 4-wrap to the green race rods.

Watty - Have you tried them (green rods) in your vented sail, too?? Same conclusions?? confused_1.gif

I was asking because I already have 2, 3, 4, and regular race frames for my 3 sails, I have now!! Use the 2 wrap in my SUL, race in my mid-vent "B", 3 wrap in the full vent SLE, and have my 4 wrap if it blows like .........!!! Just wondering where they fit in that lineup, and if you already have a selection like mine, if you need "green rods" or are there others that provide as good a choice!! Also, I only have the 4 wrap and regular race frames for my Rev1, and am very impressed by how much I like the race frame in that sail!! Just am very careful about the wind range I fly that combo in, don't want to over-flex that frame and test it to destruction!!!

I have not, only the full sail and mid-vent. Once I get the full-vent out I will give it a go and get back to you.

I have tried the green rods in my Custom full vent. I love them :clap; Although the wind was only at 10 to 15 mph.