Why is one Rev not enough?

adammandes

How Many Revs Do You Own?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Revs Do You Own?

2. 2. How Long Have You Been Flying Kites?

3. 3. How Long Have you Been Flying Revolution Kites

4. 4. Do You Ever Fly Your Delta Dual Line Kites Any More?

This poll is closed to new votes

Question

I have been flying kites for many years but have only recently discovered the Dark side. I purchased a 1.5 SLE and got busy flying my new kite with good success. I have been watching the tutorials, and reading other peoples experiences, and flying my 1.5 as often as possible.

What I want to know is what is it about these Revolution kites that has me wanting more even though I have not mastered the one I have. Is this the common experience with most of you.

I look forward to your replies, and my more recent aquisitions.

Adam

I have been flying kites for many years but have only recently discovered the Dark side. I purchased a 1.5 SLE and got busy flying my new kite with good success. I have been watching the tutorials, and reading other peoples experiences, and flying my 1.5 as often as possible.

What I want to know is what is it about these Revolution kites that has me wanting more even though I have not mastered the one I have. Is this the common experience with most of you.

I look forward to your replies, and my more recent aquisitions.

Adam

Hi Adam,

I know what you mean. I bought my first Revs over 12 years ago when I was flying dual line, three line (anybody remember the Joystick from Eola) and four line (Sky Dancers) kites. I did not just buy one but bought two Rev 1.5's in different colours. I did not want to crash and damage them so I did not get around to flying them. In fact I all but stopped flying kites for several (10) years.

Then in 2008 I saw the Mega fly at Portsmouth and got interested again. After seeing Revs flying in 2009 I found this forum. I read many of the posts and decided to buy a cheap EXP off ebay to start my Rev flying before risking my still unused 12 year old Rev 1.5s. Then I discovered a vented SLE on ebay - surely that makes sense to buy for strong winds once I start flying. I then read in this forum about JB 1.5s and soon had two matching JB 1.5s (standard and full vent) shortly joined by a Rev 1, then another SLE with a custom sail. Before I had even flown a Rev for the first time I was the proud owner of 8 Revs.

At Easter I finally made the plunge and flew a Rev for the first time - the EXP. Having watched several of the video tutorials (thanks JB and Watty) and read lots here I discovered that although it was not easy I was not crashing just launching and flying. The wind died and I happened to have the standard JB in the car so out it came with initially 3-wrap and then 2-wrap. I noticed quite a difference in the light winds between the EXP and the JB and I still was not crashing (but then again I was being very careful).

So there you have it. Totally hooked before even flying for the first time. I have added an original Rev 1, an original Rev 2 and a JB Pro vented to the fold since then. I have even flown with other fliers - just not too close as my skills are not very proficient yet (my infinity is rubbish and I have yet to get the inverted hover to work properly). I now need to practice, practice, practice.

Until I wrote this I did not realise quite how badly I have been bitten 10 Revs and I have a sneaky suspicion that I have forgotten a SLE. I still have not flown my original 1.5s.

Well done to anyone who managed to read this far.

Cheers

Stephen

Adam,

This is the way I break down the basic requirements B)

First build your 1.5 stable (unless you are an extreme kite flier. I have no advice for such people. :wacko:)

You need one full sail, one full vent (two vent panels each side), one mid-vent (one vent panel each side) in that order of priority.

Along the way, pick up the following frame sets: Race (or 2 wrap if you already have that), 3 wrap, and 4 wrap. SLE leading edge is generally not recommended unless you want to try out new experiences.

Notice that I did not specify whether these should be SLE 1.5, JB's, or JB pros. The advantage of the JB's is that they come with two different sets of spars (at least in the full sail and full vent, the mid-vent seems not to confused_1.gif ) Also, the JB's are a more sophisticated design that you may appreciate as you become more experienced. However, the SLE 1.5 kites are almost as nice to fly. For instance, I have JB full sail and a JB full vent, and an SLE mid-vent. In the appropriate wind range (moderately high), the SLE flies better than the JB's IMO. But I am sure a JB mid-vent would be a bit better than the SLE mid-vent.

Note on possible confusion - the current standard "1.5" kites are "SLE (Super Leading Edge)" and "JB (John Barressi) and "JB Pro's". JB's come with 1/4" leading edge spares. SLE's come with either the SLE leading edge spars (thicker and stiffer than 1/4 inch) or the 1/4 inch spars. Talk to your kite vendor - they can mix/match to meet your requirements. But the point is, "SLE" refers both to the "standard" 1.5 Rev model, and the optional thicker leading edge spars. If that is not clear, talk to your kite salesperson.

So, now you have a complete stable of 1.5 size Revs. If you want to go Extreme, check out the Blast and other series. I'm too retired to get into that stuff. :wacko:

If you want to pursue other precision Revs, check out the Rev I (larger) and Rev II (smaller) kites. I have a classic Rev II, and it is great fun on 80 ft 50 lb lines - faster and lighter than the Rev 1.5.

If your budget permits, than the Zen, which is basically a light wind Rev I (with lots of improvements by the IQuad team) is another logical step. Some day I'll have either a Zen or a Rev I.

Then there are the Masterpiece kites. (Drool)

And for the JB and JB Pros you can design your own color combinations on the Rev site - so many nice colors.

Phhhhsssss - bet you can't stop at just one. :kid_smartass:

I started with a 1.5 SLE, but quickly moved on to a JB standard sail. (I'd only had the SLE for a summer, but my mom was interested, so I gave it to her, to justify the new purchase.)  You can fly just fine on an SLE, but the problem is, someone is always around to let you try their JB, and once you know what you are missing, well, that's why they call it the dark side.  Welcome.  

So then you are perfectly thrilled  :kid_smartass:  flying your JB, but the wind keeps trying to rip it out of your hands, so you get a VENTED JB next, and life is perfect.  Until some nice person (Willow, Bart, JB) lets you fly their midvent, and it's a PRO midvent.  Now not only do you need a pro midvent, but also a pro standard, because now you know what a pro feels like.  You are jelly.  Sigh.  There is no turning back.  And can you believe they don't actually even have cookies.   

PS you need race rods too. Well, by "need", I don't mean you actually NEED them, I mean, well, um, actually...  You need race rods.  :kid_devlish:

I started with a purple and white black center SLE, and have been flying that when the wind allows.

This of course leads me to the Rev 1 that I have on order so that I can fly in lighter winds, but the Zen sure looks good as far as its light wind caplbilities.

I think the B (JB is truly incredible) series is also a must have, but I am not sure about the venting yet. If what I read is correct, then the venting not only reduces pull in strong wind but, also adds stability.

Like many of you, I have a thing for the Masterpiece series as well, and a Dark lady will be living with me soon kid_devlish.gif . I also think that Tom Burkhardt's rings in flight series is fantastic.

I have a pretty large collection of two line kites, but I can see where they are not going to get much use in the future.

It's interesting that most of us have been flying Rev kites for less than five years according to the very unscientific poll above. That being said, I think Revolution will be selling a bunch more kites.

Adam

I am at five right now but that's because a few more have passed through my hands to new fliers.

I started with an SLE, then I had to have a B, then a B vented, then a Power Blast, then a Supersonic, then a Pro...

It all started when this swarthy Italian guy with plaid shorts said "try it, you'll like it"... :kid_devlish:

Nah, found 'em on the web after flying a couple SLK's and one parafoil.

Then I met a guy in DC that said I'd have quite a few and make 'em to (I thought he was nuts and told my wife that too).

Soon after I met some guys from the west coast, Ibad or something like that. Flew a mega fly (all eight of us) thought it was cool. They even had a pet Monkey. While I was there I flew with an Ant.

Then off to Niagara, Florida, and Long Beach... Met some Brit's over there.

I learned what others said. It's not the kites that cost you, it's traveling around the country to fly with friends that makes the kites appear cheap!

So, call Lolly, Ben, Kent, "T", Cath, etc... and order another!

-Alden

P.S. Don't forget to ask Baz to make you a pretty one.

P.P.S. Can't wait to meet another friend.

Why is one not enough?? confused_1.gif Good question!! Back in 96 just had one old Rev 1, flew it when the wind was right (sometimes abused it)!! They also had the Rev 2!! Back then Rev was introducing the 1.5, was intrigued by the SLE rods being used, but stuck with the 1!! :) This summer, before LC's summer festival, bought a vented 1.5 SLE to handle stronger beach winds!! Now the problem- neither was very good in the light winds here in the valley!! :kid_cussing: What to do?? Decided to get an SUL for the local conditions I find more often than not!! Now I can fly much more often and get more time on the lines to try and get better!! :) I drool over all the "B"s and pros, but they only give me more incentive to get better so I can appreciate the built in quality and benefits that they offer!! Now to win that lottery!!!:)

My name is Chris and I am a RevaHolic. :blue-love:

Only got a few, started with an EXP, then a Rev 1, couple of Rev 2's all bought off Ebay, than I worked out with the £ being strong against the $ (at that time) I could buy them in from the USA. That was I think 13 or 14 Revs ago.

Often I am found sadly showing my RevaHolism on my own, however on various joyous occasions I manage to get together with several other RevaHolics to satisfy the craving of our condition, and fly proud in the face of out addiction.

I think it is cruel to have only one Rev (but then I would, wouldnt I) they get lonely in the bag. :)

And all you other addicts out there, and you KNOW who you are. I look forward to standing with you anywhere, on a Beach, in a Field, and if I ever manage it in a Sports Hall.

Folks if you need an addiction, RevaHolism is not a bad one to have, and there are many Web Sites that will help you, like here and the Kitelife Forum to name but 2.

Edited by Baloo

Flew power kites for a year or two and wanted something for lighter wind days. I knew of the Revs and never liked the look of them and they never seemed as cool as the duals. Tried a dual and eventually realised that without anyone around to teach me, throwing tricks is going to be a LONG and difficult process.

Out of sheer desperation I looked at the revs again discovered that the local shop is the agent and had stock of the color I found the most apealing. Took that as a sign and got me a Red/Black SLE with black center, with some cheap lines. After 20 minutes I was REAL happy with it - even though I was flying with the SLE leading edge, had one end cap hanging loose, and one of the 4 lines was a completely different length which caused the kite to veer to the left.

That was 28 December 2009 .... fast forward to today and I am basically Mr Rev in South Africa right now smiley-blushing.gif

After the SLE came the 1/4" leading edge in 4 wrap so I didn't break anything. My over engineering attempt failed and I snapped one of those, although I quickly replces that. Then came a full vent B series in black/red for stronger winds and some LPG lines. Then it was race rods for the SLE for low wind and street, or at least that was the plan since I wanted to street fly like Watty and JB. Then it was a full sail B series in red/grey and an Indoor Rev.

After a while I broke down and ordered a matching partner full sail and full vent for my existing B series so that I could fly with my girlfriend at the same time instead of swapping back and forth, a Blast and a custom color Zen. Somewhere amongs all of that I got a number of frames, lines and no snag handles.

Now I'm eyeballing a pair of mid-vents and at some point in the future I will probably get a set of Pro series as well.

Steven

Quad-line experience started with a backtracker, all alone for 2 years, waiting for proper conditions, even tried flying in between buildings to increase the wind speed! Someone from the local kite club finds me, shows off and then advised me he's not even very good (1995)! Found a guy in that club and offered money for personal lessons, at the end of the lesson he gives me a custom indoor Rev2 that I'm still not worthy of flying. Bought a couple of used Rev2s from the kite-loft next. Started off seriously addicted with the introduction of the 1.5 series, then got a Rev 1 (too trucky for a hyper-guy like myself), bought all the speed series sizes, got into kite building big-time for awhile, worked on the Spirit platform for 3 years, in fact I took 3rd @ nationals as "soul flier" using a Tirips kite I'd built just for the occasion, wound up having to burn holes into the sail 'cause that particular day it was too darn windy! Wife and sound guy picked the music while I was standing on the field waiting.

In 2000 I got involved with Harold Ames making his finest creation, the Ryv 3.16 babies, worked on bridles and offered input on flight dynamics, spent the whole summer tuning and testing. Promised the wife if she allowed me to acquire 14 of these little kites on a long term, non-refundable loan "I'd never ask for another kite as long as I live!". The best woman in the whole world, my wife doesn't even fly kites, but has a larger and much more expensive collection than I do. She'll go to one of the big festivals, (okay several per year!) buy a bunch of unique stuff, we take it home and never use it. She hangs out with the show kiters and the custom int'l stars but never goes beyond erecting a ground display. I, on the other hand, head down to the sport kiter area or chase kids on the sidewalks.

Involved myself in the indoor arena with the National Air & Space Museum. I was caught flying one-handed during an EMB competition in Newport, judges demanded I move up to masters immediately (2004).

I have another Rev on the way, that one is an SUL vented eyes masterpiece that Ben squeezed me for,... played my like a steinway piano, he did! Anyway that one makes #38 for me (if you don't count the babies +20 more)

My most frequently used kites are SUL b-series and the SUL Pro (full sails). I haven't used a stock bridle since '99 (on the 1.5 sized kites), prefer tapered down spars in low wind conditions, add magic sticks, even on indoor kites and like a fast flailing style with long throw handles more often then not.

Most recently I've been forced to adapt to the expectations of the judges and my mates in team flying. I'm all conservative precision and unrecognizable now, it's pitiful AND I still can't get past Smitty's score!

One is not enuf because one is the lonliest number.....besides, there is no law that says you have to stop there. Two can be as sad as one, so again, why stop there? Just ask DeRooy how lonely he is flying two at the same time by himself.

Well first off, once you get addicted to flying these things... you don't want to stop. That being said, you NEED a Rev to fly in every wind condition!!! ;D Then you get awed by the sewing skills of someone like Bazzer, and you HAVE to have a Masterpiece (I don't have one yet, but someday...).

My personal experience is very similar to kwmf's, minus the power kiting skills. Also it ~is~ very lonely being a solo flyer sometimes. Thank heavens this sport is such a social one. You meet the most wonderful people. cool.gif

Edited by Aerochic

Oh Geez. Funny you mention this. I've been liking those Bazzer Twists and trying to justify one for myself. I think I may sell my little used Zen to raise funds.

Bart

And then of course after all the great remarks by the posters above, you end up eyeing Masterpiece series kites, cuz, well, sometimes you want to dress up a little bit too!

blue_inlove.gif

I think these stories are great.

I too am a Revoholic!

My collection of Revs, although small is growing already, and I am working on skills. One is not enough, and that was my mantra on the two liners as well. I enjoy flying a stack and have the Nexus five stack and I stack some foils as well.

I see one of the posters above is from Germantown. That is close to home for me. We will have to get together and fly sometime. I am marking my calender for WOW at the Washington monument on the first Sunday of the month. Maybe I'll see you there.

Adios!

Why is one Rev not enough? That sounds like my wife! smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

When she asks why I need more than (cough...) one Rev, I ask her why she needs more than one pair of shoes. smile.gif

Hi Kent,

Thanks for your help over the last few days. I look forward to doing more business in the future!

Adam

Strange, I pretty much had the same here Kent.

I recently bought my Wifa a top, which turned out to be a bit snug on her. I said I would take it back and change it, but she said "no, it will encourage me to loose a little bit of weight so that it fits properly"

OK, so we are at a show a few WEeks later, and I buy a MC Jacket. What have you bought that for she asks. "To encourage me to buy a Harley of course." I actually got into more trouble over that comment than I did when I actually went out and bought the Harley. :)

Hence no more kites for me for a while. Oh well, besides an Eyes I dont currently NEED any more.

I had to change my poll answers because I am now the proud owner of a few more Rev kites.

I purchased a JB 1.5 non vented, and a Sedgwick Rev 1 in the warm color. I'm hopeing the Sedgwick is going to let me fly in lighter winds, and be a little more forgiving.

My skills continue to improve useing the 1.5 SLE, but I think it's time to put away the big leading edge and go for something lighter.

Lolly at Rev has been very nice and helpful, ans as Kent with Winds of Change.

I am looking forward to meeting some Rev flyers soon, and am enjoying the obsession.

matrix.gif

Adam

Hi Adam-

Why not have a different kite for each day of the week, or for that matter, each day of the month? Oh wait, we fly more than one kite in a single day, how would that equate??????

I've been flying Revs for about 2.5 years. I didn't own one, in fact, never had seen one in person when I went to a Rev Clinic. I was hooked when I saw some videos before deciding to go to the Rev Clinic!

The rest, as they say, is history.

btw, who is "they"??????? lol

Take care and happy flying.