SLE SUL vs B series 2 wrap

FrenchRévolution

Question

16 answers to this question

Thanks a lot for your answer !

And do you think that I can use the 3 wrap frame on my future SLE SUL to do like barresi's ?

Thomas

Yes, all the 1.5 series kites (SLE, SUL, EXP, B-Series, etc) have interchangeable spars.

One thing that I want to mention is that while the SUL is lighter, it is not quite as durable. So, if you do not yet have a vented rev, you will want to be careful flying the SUL in the heavier wind. One item in particular would be the bridal, which I believe is lighter than the B-Series bridal, and could break more easily under pressure. As with most things, there is an inverse relationship with weight and strength. Also, bare in mind that this is just speculation. I do not own an SUL myself, and it would not surprise me if some SUL buffs out there disagree about its durability.

In the end, I think that if you are looking for a kite just for light winds, then the SUL would be a great option. If you are looking for something that can tackle some decent wind as well, the B-Series may work better for you.

Either way, you really can't go wrong.

Have had a SUL all summer, couldn't ask for a better light wind kite!! :lol: Well maybe a Zen!! :P I agree the bridle is made of a lighter material, 90# spectra, and the leading edge pocket is made of a lighter material also!! I take care to switch to another wing when the wind gets up, don't want to stretch the SUL sail!! :) Haven't had it long enough to see if it will last, otherwise, IT'S GREAT!! :)

the SLE styled sail, (stock) SUL is like any other REV product, remarkably durable given the high use you'd expect it to endure.

90# spectra will slip on the bridle. Carefully apply clear nail polish over the knots and mark behind them with a very finely pointed RED sharpie pen. if it ever slips you notice it in the flight dynamics and could visually confirm it upon careful examination. I always replace the bridles immediately anyway, but the kite will fly in 2 to 10, you're not married to zero wind. Change out the sticks and it's like any other 1point5 full sailed kite.

The B-Series have a revised pattern configuration, (different overall dimensions if you laid one on top of the other style) and fabric orientation (particularly the Pro kites), but you can still buy any of those models as SULs, just specific it.

I have the entire suite of Bazzer's pros (full vent, mid-vent, full sail and a Zen) and couple of masterpieces,... every single one of them is purchased and constructed as an SUL, the only difference is the leading edge sleeving material. If I want it heavier (more mass in the leading edge), or an altered flex I'd change the frame. How much do you drag the leading edge inverted across a sandy beach? Well if you don't do that, then why have excess weight intentionally built into the sail? just so it's durable? I'll sacrifice durability in exchange for more flying time when conditions are extra challenging. Anybody can fly in a smooth 8 mph off of the ocean. what about all day when it's swirly and less than 2 mph?

If you want a stock 1.5 SUL then order it, but the factory staff (or your helpful retailer) can assist you with getting a kite built according to your requirements (if you can clearly define them)

My latest acquisition, another SUL, is a vented eyes masterpiece (built flailer style). Notice the extra reinforcement patches on the leading edge, across the sail's venting? It is a sweet flying wing for sure! Currently sporting Rich's Race frame as a leading edge with zen tube down spars, 16 inch magic sticks and french bridle.

Cell phone pictures, so resolution is lacking, sorry!

post-92-128956370161_thumb.jpg

post-92-128956372902_thumb.jpg

Revflyer - Do you recommend a regular 1.5 bridle over a SUL bridle? confused_1.gif I know the SUL bridle saves some weight, but is that more than made up for with the durability of a standard bridle? :) My SUL bridle is showing some wear, and I'm thinking about replacement, but wondered about which way to go?:) Other comments welcome!!:lol:

I'd certainly order an an extra standard bridle (but start off with the spectra bridle and see how it goes) It's not durable, how could it be?, it's super thin and exposed to any rubbing, probably the first place it will fail is the center of the leading edge, 'cause it can wiggle there.

YES, order a standard bridle as well. Learn on the spectra, by the time it wears out your skill can overcome the difference in weight and you'll switch to durable model. Or try a french bridle, but again, learn with the spectra one until it gives up the ghost.

Revflyer - Thanks for the info!! :) I'll wear out that SUL bridle first, don't worry about that!! Just thought about down the line when that bridle gave up the ghost, where to go!! confused_1.gif Still want low wind capabilities, but wouldn't mind a little durability thrown into the mix!!:w00t: I am careful not to stretch the sail, I'll switch to another kite first, than take a chance of that happening!! :) Just wondered what others thought about a replacement bridle, and thanks for the input!!:)

I flew my first 1point5 SUL until you could see your exhaled breath thru the center of the fabric, a ragged mess doesn't even begin to describe it. The leading edge sleeve looked like it had been birthed with a chainsaw! You had to be careful assembling it, as the sticks would poke thru all over the place. Big patches and still it was a personal favorite. Flew it lots with the SLE tubes in there too, then you could throw and catch it like magic. All the mass, you only had to point it in the proper direction and it would go straighter than as a laser beam for dozens of feet. Slapped in a cut-down p90 leading edge and 2 wrap tapers (SS) to make a kite you could fly literally standing on one foot.

I learned so much with that first SUL kite, . ....Exploring different bridle designs, framing options, changing the balance point, exactly how much abuse one of these darn things can actually take. You treat 'em like a rental car and they just keep right on flying. Use 'em for a couple of years really HARD and then get new ones. Oh!, the crispness of a new sail. The sticks are ever so clean and smooth. It's like you've died and gone to heaven just opening the shipping container!

There's a reason so many of us have more than one Rev (and reach for 'em so often when we go kiting).

One of the greatest values going in entertainment!

Buy two and get the 3rd for full price (+ shipping!) Or, is that deal only offered to me?

Hi everyone !

I have a rev exp but I want to buy one for light wind.

Is the B series with the 2 wrap is as good as the rev 1.5 SUL in light winds ?

Thanks from France !

Thomas

I would like to try an SUL one of these days just to see what they feel like. Stroke, if your reading this I'll hit ya up at a Delta park fly next time if the wind permits. (kid_devlish.gif Usually does)

Thomas, I would like to point out that the B Series std. comes with 2 frame sets and 13" handles as a start. The EXP LE is about an inch shorter than the 1.5 series kites. So the EXP outter LE rods might be a bit short if used in a 1.5 series. But that wouldn't matter if you had a B Series cause you'd have the right 2 and 3 wrap frames for any other 1.5's bought down the line.

In my experience I was amazed to find that the B Series had an unbelievable wind range. For me thats 0 to about 10mph max. That was std. right outta the bag. It flew even better with a Race frame. As RevFlyer said then you have the ability to mix match your frame for what you want out of it.

A little weight savings is great but after you've flown for a while and understand what to do on your end of the lines you'll find that with different line weights and lengths you will have a more "all around" kite with the B Series over the SUL SLE.

Then "WHEN" (w00t.gif ) you get a Bazzer Pro B..... well I'll just wait on that thought.

Just my cent and a half.

Dean

Dean - be glad to let you have a go with the SUL!! smile.gif Only thing I watch out for is too much wind, don't want to stretch the sail if I can help it!!!mad.gif Otherwise, sure you can try it out!!smile.gif

I'll hold ya to that. lol Over a weekend at Delta Park there is always that one day where flying means a little work. I love the challenge of having to use my whole body, the whole time to fly and fly up to my own expectation. I'll be curious to learn first hand what the differences of feeling and flight are between an SUL and a Std. with RR.

Dean

Dean - Have 2 wrap, 3 wrap, 4 wrap, and race frame for the SUL! :kid_smartass:You may have to try it with a set of magic sticks and a modified bridle, bridle from REVflyer and sticks came in a trade my son made with Steve P.! :kid_devlish:Just fooling around with other setups to see if I like anything different or want to scrap anything new!! :) But the offer stands, if we get together, you can certainly try my setup!!:)

Edited by stroke victim