Rev trains (with tails)

Stephen Hoath

Question

Has anyone successfully built a train of Rev II's?

Next question, have you put tails on them?

If the answer to these questions is yes then I would like to know what length stacking lines you used and if they were the same length for the whole train.

Finally, where is the best place to anchor the tails?  On each kite or just the last one?  

We will be flying 4 in team and so tail tangles with kites is a big issue.

5 answers to this question

Hi Stephen,

It's been a long time....

I would suggest that your stack lines should be about 36 inches long, maybe 90 cm.(??? quick conversion )  I've got a 4pk of Rev 2's plus numerous I's stacked.  I much prefer the full size kite for stacking...

As far as tails, I would guess the bottom tips, or the outside tips.  I really don't care that much for the look of tails on revs, and functionally, the tails get in the way.  I think someone who would be able to answer the attachment of tails would be John Mitchel...

Later,

Sam

Thanks for this Sam,  I am afraid I am too weedy to fly a "mans" train :wink: , but  the Rev II'2 look great in a team of 4.  

Currently we just use the back kite to host the tails.  We use 6 tails in pairs on the bottom two tips and one pair from centre of the leading edge.  This gives us the benefit on not getting tails caught in the following kite but does weird things to the back kite.

Another question,  do you adjust the bridles on your trains at all?

Keep all train lines even length.  Flying trains/stacks is all about flying the back kite.  The "front" kites are just along for the ride.  I would suggest putting the tails on the front or middle kites in the train/stack, if you're going to fly with tails.  As you've noticed already, you'll have "issues" with the back kite as your tail anchor.

Sorry, I just don't care for tails on revs. :roll:

The main points to remember when flying trains/stacks is stay out of the center of the wind window unless you are moving through it, unless you are using the oscillation of the stack in a ballet, and the other is to keep in mostly slow and controlled.  You can start to speed up your movements with more wind and muscle.

Hopefully this helps.

I LOVE flying my Revs with tails.

If you put tails anywhere on the front kite(s), then you can't do spins without wrapping the tails in the train lines. You're forced to fly the rev like a two line kite.

I put my tails on the leading edge tips of the last kite. The increased separation helps keep them from sticking together. The loading is more balanced across the center of the kite. And spectators are always very impressed by the giant helix that forms when you do spins. :clap2:

I've been using Tube Tails 50' (colored trash bag type plastic tubes) from MidwestKites, which worked fairly well, but they split the seams after a while and fray at the ends. They're certainly cheap enough, though. Anyone have a suggestion for durable tails in the 75-100' range?

Even if you don't care for them visually, tails are a great way to stabilize (slow down) your Rev in fast or turbulent winds.