Rev 1.5 SUL wind range ?

FrenchRévolution

Question

4 answers to this question

Hi !

I'm living in France and I bought a revolution exp and it's great but i'am looking for a lighter kite because I'm not practicing on the beach.

Do you know the wind range of the Rev 1.5 SUL ?

Thanks again for your answer !

Thomas

welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of quad kites...

If I had the money I would look at a zen for low wind. the SUL has a lighter Leading Edge and bridle lines (if I am not mistaken) so IMHO it is not that much lighter than the SLE .. the key is the 2 wrap or race rods being lighter..

I know the seasoned experts will chime in with opinions based on more experience but my lurking and dreaming has concluded that a standard SLE with 2 wraps and 3 wraps will serve you better because you can put the lighter rods in for low wind and put the heavier rods in for higher winds..

at that point one is thinking the B series that comes with two sets of rods is not such a bad deal.. arguably better sail design, two sets of rods and It seams to me every one eventualy buys the B series standard and full vent (race, 2, 3 and 4 wrap) before its all over so you might as well take the plunge and skip the middle men..

then your EXP is for converting new victoms to the dark side :kid_devlish:

if John could clarify something he said at MOTS in Milwaukee about race rods verses 2 wraps.. I think he said the race rods are about the same weight as the 2 wraps, strong as the 3 wraps but not as stiff as the 3 wraps?? this leaves me (mr no budget) wondering if I would be better served with race or 2 wraps to complement my SLE with 3 wraps.. either one could be slipped in with the 3 wraps for heavy winds but I suspect my next sail will have venting and 4 wraps for the high wind issue..

Edited by BillLamm

for all your lightest wind needs I would suggest a Zen sail race rod frame and swap out the le center with a 2 wrap. (this evens out the curve of the le and eliminates wing tip droop) Dont let the cost scare you, eventually you will be sitting there looking at your pile of Revs wondering "where did this all start?" Welcome to the dark side, we have milk and cookies.

if John could clarify something he said at MOTS in Milwaukee about race rods verses 2 wraps.. I think he said the race rods are about the same weight as the 2 wraps, strong as the 3 wraps but not as stiff as the 3 wraps?? this leaves me (mr no budget) wondering if I would be better served with race or 2 wraps to complement my SLE with 3 wraps.. either one could be slipped in with the 3 wraps for heavy winds but I suspect my next sail will have venting and 4 wraps for the high wind issue..

I'm no John, but you are on the right track. The Race rods are noticeably more flexible than the 3 wrap or two wrap, and the snap back into place a little differently. What this does is changes the slight characteristics of the kite. The largest factor in choosing between 2 wrap and race rods is personal preference. I for one love Race Rods, while others prefer 2 wrap.

In all honesty, the main thing that allows people to fly in lower winds is technique. I haven't flown much on an EXP, but I reckon I could fly it indoors if I really wanted to. I for one, will fly my full-sail B-Series with Race Rods in as low of wind as low wind can get. The SUL is a little bit lighter due to a lighter bridal and such, and some people swear by this for light wind flying.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that the SUL is a great kite for light wind flying. Is it absolutely necessary to have one for light winds? No. All in all, no one can make the decision for you. I recommend weighing the pros and cons of the kites on your mind in order of what is most important to you. These pros and cons can include anything from weight, to appearance, to whatever.