world record of 64 revolution kites... FAIL

Jonesey

Hmmm!

64 was a failure in terms of a 100 attempt but it was still a serious achievement for everyone who took part.

I'm looking forward to the next serious 100 attempt and obviously very grateful to those fliers who are willing to take up the practical and logistical challenge <grins>

Felix

Hello Felix....

How have you been?

I totally agree with you. ..... And yes, I too, look forward to the next serious 100 attempt. I do think it will succeed this time! :)

Hello Felix....

How have you been?

I totally agree with you. ..... And yes, I too, look forward to the next serious 100 attempt. I do think it will succeed this time!

Hello Laura,

All's well here, and you?

Closing the grid on the ground has to happen! I'm not too worried about getting to 100 now, more excited really about what can be achieved within the context of 'very many fliers' from say 12 upwards. We're hoping to put together a 12-16 person fly the weekend of 12-13th January 2013 near Nottingham, England. (Shipley Park)

Best wishes

Felix

Closing the grid on the ground has to happen!

Fellix

Closing the grid should be no problem. We will only be ten wide. We could have close the 64 grid, we just didn't do it. We were standing far apart at launch, and never changed that spacing. The problem which will have to be resolved is the width of the line of kites on the ground. I think that is what had the fliers spaced far apart.

What to you think?

Fellix

Closing the grid should be no problem. We will only be ten wide. We could have close the 64 grid, we just didn't do it. We were standing far apart at launch, and never changed that spacing. The problem which will have to be resolved is the width of the line of kites on the ground. I think that is what had the fliers spaced far apart.

What to you think?

Jim,

Just as the back 32 walked forwards to meet the front 32 the right and left sides can move inwards. Seeing is believing of course. <grins>

Felix

Jim,

Just as the back 32 walked forwards to meet the front 32 the right and left sides can move inwards. Seeing is believing of course. <grins>

Felix

Now we will be having a back 50 and a front 50. There may be a another way.

Another thing, If the front group launches and starts forward as the forward group launches, the forward group will not have to idle for such a long time. They would be finishing their launch as the first group gets to them.

Just a thought.

Now we will be having a back 50 and a front 50. There may be a another way.

Another thing, If the front group launches and starts forward as the forward group launches, the forward group will not have to idle for such a long time. They would be finishing their launch as the first group gets to them.

Just a thought.

Jim,

I had it 'in' mind to suggest 4 groups of 25 each forming a quarter square block.

Felix

Jim,

I had it 'in' mind to suggest 4 groups of 25 each forming a quarter square block.

Felix

You are still 50 kites wide.

Many times on demo fields, because of space limitations, we have landed one kite inverted, laid it back, and another kite at ten feet or so feet in front of the first kite, right on the lines of the first kite. When it's time to fly, the last kite landed is launched, then the first kite landed is launched. This is very easy on sand as after landing inverted and the kite laid back, the leading edge can be covered with sand making it easy for the flier to pull the bottom lines, stand the kite up and launch inverted.

Could something like this work for a large group? Perhaps it could be tried somewhere with a sixteen grid.

Just a thought.

I just want to add that I do not think this is the appropriate thread for this discussion because when it was started it was to stir up some good natured fun about the 64 and the header line just is plain wrong with it saying FAIL to be talking about the 100 kite attempt again.

It deserves its own thread.

Bart

I just want to add that I do not think this is the appropriate thread for this discussion because when it was started it was to stir up some good natured fun about the 64 and the header line just is plain wrong with it saying FAIL to be talking about the 100 kite attempt again.

It deserves its own thread.

Bart

Hi Bart,

You are probably correct.

There is the beginning in this thread of what may turn out to be a number of ideas that just happened to be sparked by the good natured fun approach to what happened in 2010.

A key flier was missing at Portsmouth 2008 as I recall. 47 were flying rather than 48... or something like that! The subsequent comment was about the 2010 Long Beach performance.

Getting 100 fliers set-up to fly is certainly an interesting project.

Getting smaller groups say 12 or 16 plus up to speed is also an exciting project in its own right quite apart from a building block to the very large team scenario.

The challenge of getting 100 plus international fliers together at one venue is the big one! I do not think that an individual 'event' is likely to get the resources to realise this ambition so a different approach may be required.

I hope that this forum can be fixed and that it continues to be the place for focused discussion of these projects.

Maybe I should post this message as a new topic.

Thanks

Felix