world record of 64 revolution kites... FAIL

Jonesey

Just had another thought .... you could always just call it the 'Rev Mega Grid World Series' then it would be another one of those truly international global championships like baseball kid_devlish.gif

Point of Order: The "World" series of baseball is so named because it was originally sponsored by a newspaper called "The World". Now back to our regularly scheduled friendly banter.

Ok happy to concede that one Scott, after all we call it rounders over here and it's only played by girls :D

However Barts comment made me think ...

I think they minute the threading started it became one team.

Surely, looking at the distance between all those separate 'teams' you can't be 'threading' .. The 'team on the far left is so far away from the team on the right that they couldn't make contact if they wanted to so .... With no fear of contact where's the skill / challenge???

( please make sure the geometry lesson I'm about to receive uses metric units )

Then I guess that the person who's kite is at the top of a column is not really flying with the person who's kite is at the bottom of the column as they are standing too far away from each other?

Doesn't seem quite right.

If the columns of fliers are nearly shoulder to shoulder, would that not prohibit a very large grid, say 20x10, as would not the end columns be trying to fly outside the window?

Edited by Jim Foster

Then I guess that the person who's kite is at the top of a column is not really flying with the person who's kite is at the bottom of the column as they are standing too far away from each other?

Doesn't seem quite right.

Ahh but at least they are in the same team .... Either that or you've made the mistake of taking anything I say seriously ;)

Point of Order: The "World" series of baseball is so named because it was originally sponsored by a newspaper called "The World". Now back to our regularly scheduled friendly banter.

Interesting you should mention this, but you might want to check out: http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp

Seems a number of people share this common misconception!!

Ah well, never mind huh!

Mark

Nothing like a little early morning digging to get things going.  Love it.

I think they minute the threading started it became one team.  In fact, on my video JB doesn't even mention the world record until the threading.  To do that would require a min/max separation so another 8 flyers on the other side of the pond would have been excluded being outside the maximum distance to thread.

Sorry.  kid_devlish.gif

Bart

Hi All,

Many years ago I officiated over the Dual Line World Record for the Guinness book of Records.

For that the flyers could not simply launch and do a sequential launch (Mexican Wave type move) they had to do a recognizable move.  For Dual line this was easiest with a figure 8.

So to move this to a Quad kite, there was no limit on width, why would there ?

So when JB got the flyers to do a thread, that's a recognizable move - Job Done !!

I think the record and the grid are two different beasts

Records are liked by event organizers because you can promote those to the TV, Radio & Public

We as flyers, from my experience enjoy the closeness and new thrill of the Grid (and Sailor gets his nose wiped :wacko:  )

You mean kinda like " THE AMERICA'S CUP" races???????

Due to certain confidentiality restrictions in my contract with a certain nations Americas Cup team I cant comment on that ... other then to say it is currently back in the hands of the USA and you should be proud that a bunch of Kiwis and Aussies went out there and bought the cup back for you tongue.gif

Oh and sorry Jim, if you had met me you would know I'm rarely, if ever, serious and had no intention to denigrate those that took part in any way .... I'm just saying we do it properly over here (that was a joke by the way :) )

Time for bed in the civilised world .. thanks for the fun .. its going to be a long winter!

Jonesey Out

Ok happy to concede that one Scott, after all we call it rounders over here and it's only played by girls biggrin.gif

Apparently it's I who have to concede here.

Now, let's back up a bit. How old are these games: rounders and cricket? The reason I ask is that there was a game played here in the colonies, long before we were abandoned by our English brethren and left to defend ourselves against King George's army, called "Stool Ball" (this one I researched) which may have been the predescessor of both cricket and baseball. Stool Ball bares some uncanny similarities to Cricket.

Maybe not threaded to the ends, but certainly threaded at least part way.

If not that then let's just say all that "string" up there "threaded" through something somewhere in its life... Bet it felt like a team then too... kid_smartass.gif

Bart

Face to face pairs should have been OK if it had been called...

Seems to me that this would have defined the team configuration. <grins>

Felix

We as flyers, from my experience enjoy the closeness and new thrill of the Grid (and Sailor gets his nose wiped :wacko:  )

If you like closeness, you should have been at Kite Party in Huntington Beach CA this year. Lines are limited to 75' at that event due to space, and wanting all fliers to be able to fly whenever they wish.

There were times when we had 18 rev fliers, all standing in one line, elbow to elbow, flying follows, threads, Leaders benefits in groups of six, "balls" in groups of six, pez starting in the middle going down, moving to the right and going up, then moving to the right going down all in groups of six in one continuous line.

One ball of 18, two balls of 9, three balls of 6.

All on 75' lines.

Now that was exciting and loads of fun!

"I see no balls" he says as he raises his telescope to the wrong eye.

I can see why people would not realise you were not joking Mr J. When you were ranting about this to anyone who would listen over the weekend, we all agreed partly because you were right and partly because you were clearly so serious and put out about the grid spacing. Didn't you also say something about more challenging evolutions, such as benefits, being a necessity? I certainly remember some comment along the lines of "haven't been so over excited since 1776".

By the way, did this poor relation to F1, which also must hold the record for the most sexist trophy in the worst possible taste, also name its premier series after a news paper?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nascar/blog/from_the_marbles/post/The-NASCAR-World-Cup-Edwards-takes-the-trophy?urn=nascar-269201

Edited by Sailor99

As long as we're talking USA vs UK records: what percentage of the UK record was flown by UK citizens?

Setting that quibble aside though, I agree with everything Jonesey said since I wasn't at WSIKF and I did fly in the Portsmouth record.

I propose the new standard for a world record should be that you can thread, play with balls, and scratch Jeremy's nose with your elbow.

Jonesey can verify all records by observing from a car park or parking lot (depending on the venue)

• Like 1

As long as we're talking USA vs UK records: what percentage of the UK record was flown by UK citizens?

Setting that quibble aside though, I agree with everything Jonesey said since I wasn't at WSIKF and I did fly in the Portsmouth record.

I propose the new standard for a world record should be that you can thread, play with balls, and scratch Jeremy's nose with your elbow.

Jonesey can verify all records by observing from a car park or parking lot (depending on the venue)

Thanks for your support Papa Smurf .... I think wacko.gif

Ah ha ... figured it out... that aerial shot says it all .... lots of wide open space just as you colonial folks are used to ... (or maybe you have left enough space for us to join in?) .. so you are subliminally being extravagant with the amount of space you use?

We on the other hand seem to naturally form ourselves into tightly packed and organised ranks ....

Wonder where that comes from???

post-2056-128447424484_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jonesey

Maybe next year we could do the 64 and then have a couple of 25's behind it!

If they all move to the same command would that count as 114?

As the requirement for any team is to do maneuvers when called to do so even if they are a quarter mile apart.

One thing is for certain it will be like herding cats.

Bazzer

The extra space was for all of you guys and none of you showed up......kid_cussing.gifSo do I need to come over and set this record right across the pond...kid_loved.gifSmile

all cause it's kites and friends so to kid_cussing.gif if it's grids or shoulder to shoulder it really does not matter what counts is US together having fun and enjoying the

day....... Whats a real world record is the fact that we come together and fly as friends and Family, this was never about just kites this is all about a brotherhood

of friends who come together with kites, so before we get all upset remember how much fun it was in the UK or WSIKF and how as a unit we came together and

for one brief flash it did'nt matter who you were or where you were from all that matter is we as a Family were having fun, imagine that FUN......blue_cool.gif So here's

my 2 cents and win, lose, or draw I love all of you as a member of my Family..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif

post-35-128448862059_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The extra space was for all of you guys and none of you showed up...... <snip>

Ah yes, the missing 36, or could it have been another 56 in the gaps?

I like the photo...

How about 4 sets of 25 kites, one set behind the other as in Bazzers post? All responding to the same instructions sounds good to me. Herding cats is what it is about, I guess

Felix

LOVE that photo Ben!!

Bart

The extra space was for all of you guys and none of you showed up......kid_cussing.gifSo do I need to come over and set this record right across the pond...kid_loved.gifSmile

all cause it's kites and friends so to kid_cussing.gif if it's grids or shoulder to shoulder it really does not matter what counts is US together having fun and enjoying the

day....... Whats a real world record is the fact that we come together and fly as friends and Family, this was never about just kites this is all about a brotherhood

of friends who come together with kites, so before we get all upset remember how much fun it was in the UK or WSIKF and how as a unit we came together and

for one brief flash it did'nt matter who you were or where you were from all that matter is we as a Family were having fun, imagine that FUN......blue_cool.gif So here's

my 2 cents and win, lose, or draw I love all of you as a member of my Family..... Benblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gifblue_cool.gif