120ft lines

hawkeye

Question

17 answers to this question

Thanks guys 120's WILL be on ordersign_kitelife.gif

Hi David, bearing in mind what everyone has said about flying with others....  How many others are there near you ?

Old skool was get a set of dual line and cut in half (so these were 50 foot ish), makes the walk of shame so much easier ! Then when you get friends  :blue-grin: get 120's

PS 80lbs lines or 90lbs depending on who you buy from is fine for most days.

...and my favorites were my 200' lines...

I now fly on my new 250' lines! (The Gifts of Wings kite field at Veterans Park in Milwaukee WI has ample space)

Most of those who have tried them, Luv them!

Such an immense window and the enjoyment watching people trying to figure out where they're comming from!

BTW Theresa (The Kite Shoppe) makes up some awesome sets!

The Sky's the Limit!

...as a side-note: Watty introduced me to short-line flying (at WSIKF) as well. There's that side of the thrill too!

• Like 1

Hi David, bearing in mind what everyone has said about flying with others.... How many others are there near you ?

Old skool was get a set of dual line and cut in half (so these were 50 foot ish), makes the walk of shame so much easier ! Then when you get friends blue_biggrin.gif get 120's

PS 80lbs lines or 90lbs depending on who you buy from is fine for most days.

Unfortuneatly I'm the only Rev flyer in the area I just thiught with 120's I'd have a bigger window to fly inkid_smartass.gif

...and my favorites were my 200' lines...

I now fly on my new 250' lines! (The Gifts of Wings kite field at Veterans Park in Milwaukee WI has ample space)

Most of those who have tried them, Luv them!

Such an immense window and the enjoyment watching people trying to figure out where they're comming from!

BTW Theresa (The Kite Shoppe) makes up some awesome sets!

The Sky's the Limit!

...as a side-note: Watty introduced me to short-line flying (at WSIKF) as well. There's that side of the thrill too!

And I thought walking out 120's was the worst I'd ever experienced!

Heck, 250' is about the length we use for a single line as kind of a "beacon" per se. At some places here, thats creeping into FAA territory loltongue.gif

sorry reviving this thread

on monday had some free time so checked my 120 foot line sets 50 & 90 lb

then flew my REV B + RACE FRAME on 120ft x 90lb line ( shanti) wind was a bit iffy

trying to do nice controlled infinities forward and reverse, and found i was getting lots of flips when reversingunsure.gif , not normally a problem on 100 foot.

thinking about it later, i thought that line drag was the cause

any ideas / remedies

fungussmile.gif

on a side note is there a set of exercises i could follow to improve skills?

Extra line drag is a very good possibility. The longer your lines the more drag you will have off of them. With power kites, line drag really comes into play when the winds pick up. We usually end up having to lessen our brake lines by as much as 3-4 inches when hitting speeds over 40-50 mph because the excessive line drag on the brakes causes the kite to fly further back in the window and not let the kite get out on the edge where you need it for speed. To compensate for this, we usually drop down to much shorter lines such as 20 - 40 ft. I could see this being some of the culprit on the Rev with excessive tip flapping, especially if you are flying in stronger or gustier wind conditions.

After flying on other lengths of lines, 80' - 50' - flying on 120' is definitely different! smile.gif There's something graceful about flying on that length!! smile.gif Shorter lines are a bit more manic!! w00t.gif

...and my 250's are A M A Z I N G ! w00t.gif

A Window so big you can really have some extra-awesome fun! ...(Great dive-stops!) etc........