WSIKF 2011

Theresa

Just because I think it would be Something nice to see. Is it possible to create a member update-able list of those that are planning on attending this WSIKF?? That way, anyone wanting to know who else on the Forum that is attending, can just hit the list, as easily see, instead of having to read through pages of threads to find out.. Just a thought.. I don't know how much is possible in forum page design, as I have never managed a forum website before.

Definitely a must to set your reservations early. Where we stay has only 9 rooms on 3 floors and books fast, so we set ours usually as we're checking out the previous year. Last year was great for us with the quad field being on our end. Would've been better if I knew how to fly then, so this year... here I come w00t.gif!

Hope to see a lot of you there.

Ah, but half the fun is reading the threads. Just kidding. I think it's a good idea, but maybe a lot of work for the mods as I think you can only edit your own posts. Maybe if there was an "official" thread for each festival, and then anyone attending could post just a short RSVP. I think you'd still need someone moderating to turn the replies into a concise list at the beginning or end of the thread - kind of like the global rev count thread that everyone posts to and is periodically totaled by one of the moderators.

So, is it a sign that you have an addiction if you just started flying revs last August . . . and this year you make plans to go to WSIKF on the chance that you'll get to fly in a Mega fly and meet & fly with tons of other Rev flyers? No, not at all. No addiction here . . . mid life crisis, on the other hand, maybe.If this is how it manifests, well, I can live with the cost of kites. A lot less expensive than some of the alternative manifestations . . .

I can live with the cost of kites. A lot less expensive than some of the alternative manifestations . . .

Like Flight school, sky diving, paragliding and hang gliding, motorcycles, SCUBA diving, Photography, travel, guns, archery (mind you, the bow that I want is $1,400.USD) or stunt driving school, or even racing. Oooooh... tuners, and drifting.. fun!!

Random question, will they permit camping out on the beach during this event? If I can make it, a hotel will be out of the question.

Like Flight school, sky diving, paragliding and hang gliding, motorcycles, SCUBA diving, Photography, travel, guns, archery (mind you, the bow that I want is $1,400.USD) or stunt driving school, or even racing. Oooooh... tuners, and drifting.. fun!!

For a guy who looks like he's not even close to a midlife crisis yet . . . . you have a lot of expensive hobbies. Of course, "expensive" is always relative . . . and kite flying is low cost . . . once the bag is full (the bag is never full). You didn't even mention the hawks. When do you find time for work?

Random question, will they permit camping out on the beach during this event? If I can make it, a hotel will be out of the question.

Exile

We are camping a few minutes away from the beach pm me and we can talk .

Cheers

Terry

ISLAND QUAD

There is a good chance I won't be there. Travel plans are quickly unraveling up here. And by unravel I mean falling apart around my ears.

I'm looking at other options, but at this stage of the game it is tough to come up with an affordable alternative to the travel and I won't make a 22 hour drive alone.

Bart

There is a good chance I won't be there. Travel plans are quickly unraveling up here. And by unravel I mean falling apart around my ears.

I'm looking at other options, but at this stage of the game it is tough to come up with an affordable alternative to the travel and I won't make a 22 hour drive alone.

Bart

I hope that something turns up for you.

22 hours is extreme.

I just did 5 hours to Sunderland. Quite enough for a Friday evening after work...

Felix

For a guy who looks like he's not even close to a midlife crisis yet . . . . you have a lot of expensive hobbies. Of course, "expensive" is always relative . . . and kite flying is low cost . . . once the bag is full (the bag is never full). You didn't even mention the hawks. When do you find time for work?

Define "Midlife." No one ever really knows when there times has come. So really, the term is quite relative. As for the Crisis... not so much....... right now anyway. These things are just a few things that I REALLY WISH I could partake in, that due to their extreme expense, I can't afford to do. My Crisis, it if doesn't include a Ferrari, or quitting my job, dropping of the face of the earth, and moving out into the mountains someplace.

Exile

We are camping a few minutes away from the beach pm me and we can talk .

Cheers

Terry

ISLAND QUAD

Awesome!! I'll be in touch then. Thank you very much!

Bart

What rout do you normally take?? If I'm able to go, and you go through my area, I would ride with you.

Bart

ahhhhhhh Bart .... It would be a shame not to see at Long Beach. I do hope you can work something out , are Paul and candice coming ???

I get long drive thing ... we were in LIncoln City Last weekend 91/2 hrs including ferries and customs . I can't wait for teleportation.

Keep my fingers crossed that we get to fly together

Terry

ISLAND QUAD

Such wusses! I routinely do 30-35 hour drives (well, once a year or so). I choose my time so that the end of the drive is at a time when I am normally awake and alert.

I can see that it is time for me to show up unexpectedly at some far-off venue.

• Like 1

Such wusses! I routinely do 30-35 hour drives (well, once a year or so). I choose my time so that the end of the drive is at a time when I am normally awake and alert.

I can see that it is time for me to show up unexpectedly at some far-off venue.

Okay, pick me up along the way over!

I can't even stand 2 hour drives anymore when I'm doing the driving.

Bart

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, first time on the forum. My wife and I plan to attend the festival for the first time this year. What suggestions do you have for lodging. Definitely want to reserve a room soon.

Looking forward to a great festival.

For anyone still looking, yes you will find that everything is booked. But there's still hope! Reserve something, anything, even if it's in another city. Or be prepared with camping gear. But keep calling, all the way to the last minute. Yes people do reserve a whole year in advance. But when you get down to the last minute, there will be cancellations. Ask if they'll take your name and call you if there's a cancellation. I have found last minute Fri-Sat rooms for my parents at the Super 8 and Cedars Oceanview, both right by the Bolstad approach. And once we arrived to find the room we'd booked reeked of pee. We thought we'd have to stay miles away, but we ended up at "Our place at the beach" by the Sid Snyder approach.

WSIKF FAQ for those who've never been:

The main festival happens at the end of the Bolstad approach. The rev field will be nearby. There is a really nice boardwalk connecting this to the Sid Snyder approach, if you stay or park towards that that end.

Parking: No matter where you stay or park, you'll be walking at least a little ways to the beach. There are gravel lots not far from the beach, get there early in the morning to get a spot. You will see cars parked down on the beach--these belong to the big kite fliers who have cars and trailers full of kites. They have permits.

Weather: It's the beach in August, but it can be cold. It could rain. Bring warm clothes. If you are Bart, bring a parka. But also lots of sunscreen and a sun hat.

Food: The Bolstad approach will be full of all sorts of vendors.

Gear: Most know this, but maybe not everyone: It will be very helpful to have 120' 90 lb line. This is the standard for group flying. Even if you don't expect to fly "team" or "grid" this time out, it's nice to have. If we all have the same length lines, it's a lot easier to share the same space. But if you are a rank beginner who wants space, there's plenty of beach if you just walk a ways. Theresa (thekiteshoppe) will be there selling lines, of course. And rods, too. If there's anything else you know you'll be wanting, like maybe a whole kite, you might want to give her a call before the festival so she can bring whatever it is out with her.

See you there! I'll be there all week, including the 13th and 14th. If anyone else will be around that early, look for me at the Sid Snyder appoach. Unless I spy revs at the Bolstad, then I'll head over there. Lonely already.

Now that I know how the weather can be and how it can change I will be better prepared and probably not need a parka (that was very good - witty and last year so true), but will have more appropriate layers to take off and put on as the weather changes.

We'll be there on the 14th probably mid afternoon and staying all week leaving the Monday after the festival. I suspect we will also get to the beach once settled.

I see there is a Rev field much closer to the action this year. I'm not sure the size of it, but probably amble and like mentioned there is a ton of space to wander off too if one so desires. I'm really looking forward to hooking up with friends from last year and making new ones this year! Counting the days now!

Bart

Hey T.

Is the AOK having another potluck?

Ken

Absolutely!

AOK is Thursday night 6pm in Ilwaco!

(Associated Oregon Kiters) Lots of great food and LOTS of bag raffle items! Hmmmmm.... I'm guessing there will be a new chef on the BBQ?

Wishful thinking T. We should get to Long Beach around 11pm or so Wednesday night. What's the address where we camped last year, so we can find it without a guide? I only got to and from riding in the back seat while Mario drove.

OK! Wednesday! I will send you a PM with the address :)

Glad to help out!!

See you in a couple weeks!

T