Liberty State Park, Jersey City N.J., Kite Festival

Lauranyyfan

Question

Hello All-

Just wanted to take a moment and post this. Kurtis Jones has put this together, hoping to make it an annual event. There will be flyers coming in from all over the east. Anyone interested in sharing the skies with us, come on out and play.

The weather forecast, so far, is picture perfect all weekend!!

For those so inclined, some of us will be flying on Friday, as well.... just for the heck of it!!!!

See you out there.

16 answers to this question

Jimmy Cee and I will be up there as early as possible on Friday Laura. We're still haggling over the details of who's driving though & our starting point's location. We live at least 75 minutes apart, but we both have to drive right by Mike Mosman's residence. So we may crash there the evening before or at least abandon one of our vehicles in his driveway that morning!. If I had my way, (HA!) we'd be there when the park opens and meet-up with you guys for breakfast! We're crashing at the Smithmiester's B&B so it will be long days of team flying and late nights of laughter.

Hello All-

Just wanted to take a moment and post this. Kurtis Jones has put this together, hoping to make it an annual event. There will be flyers coming in from all over the east. Anyone interested in sharing the skies with us, come on out and play.

The weather forecast, so far, is picture perfect all weekend!!

For those so inclined, some of us will be flying on Friday, as well.... just for the heck of it!!!!

See you out there.

I've been out there in the evenings on and off the last few weeks (out by the WWII statue at the very South end). Wind was light tonight, and a bit challenging (for a piker like me). I can't say the forecast is hopeful on that score. How late will you be around on Sunday, and which part of the park will you fly in?

I've been out there in the evenings on and off the last few weeks (out by the WWII statue at the very South end). Wind was light tonight, and a bit challenging (for a piker like me). I can't say the forecast is hopeful on that score. How late will you be around on Sunday, and which part of the park will you fly in?

Hello ahofer-

After you'd turn left on to Freedom Way, the first parking lot on the left is where you'd park. It would then be a walk up and over the hill and foward toward the field we fly in.... couldn't miss seeing the kites up ;) . After a long weekend of flying, chances are we'll be off the field by five or six pm. We will be there all day Sat. and Sun and probably a half day (afternoon) on Friday.

Come on out and play.

Hi ahofer-

just one other thing...

Chances are, by the time you are arriving, the wind is lightening up as is normally the case. Unless there's a front blowing through, the normal tendencies is for the wind to drop off as the sun is setting.

Cosca is workin' until mid-afternoon, so I'll have to fly alone Friday morning waiting on that greedy knucklehead. I can't drag dugard along either, since jim handled our lodging arrangements (I think I get to crash under Smitty's dining table, ... KEWL, I can't be stepped on!) Heck, I love to load-up a whole busload and drag our WOWster crew up there to help-out Kurtis. Get those big show kites up with sport kiters and the builders!

I've just received a dozen 1.5 french bridles yesterday.

I'm thinkin' I'll encourage the REv Riders to cross-over (at least on their mid-vent models) using my loaner program for a weekend. Let's see what they think.

Personally?, it's like flying a whole new kite.

Jim & I are both so excited to get back up there with the gang, we had a fantastic time for the 4th of July.

We probably will not make the park on Friday, based on our departure time. Blame Cosca though, i'm a morning person. Ask anyone that knows me, I'm always the first one there.

See ya soon!

plm

Hi ahofer-

just one other thing...

Chances are, by the time you are arriving, the wind is lightening up as is normally the case. Unless there's a front blowing through, the normal tendencies is for the wind to drop off as the sun is setting.

Thanks! I was out yesterday 6-7 or so. 8 miles an hour with lulls. So i can keep some lazy flight going with that. I should be out tonight as well, hopefully with one or two of my kids.

I'll try to come out tomorrow. I work in NYC (downtown), so it's a matter of when I can take off from work. That's the lot across from the nature center, right? Do you go inland from that lot ("up the hill"), or towards the ocean? Never been inland.

Thanks! I was out yesterday 6-7 or so. 8 miles an hour with lulls. So i can keep some lazy flight going with that. I should be out tonight as well, hopefully with one or two of my kids.

I'll try to come out tomorrow. I work in NYC (downtown), so it's a matter of when I can take off from work. That's the lot across from the nature center, right? Do you go inland from that lot ("up the hill"), or towards the ocean? Never been inland.

Hi ahofer-

I'm not sure if anyone will make it out tomorrow. Folks are getting a later start on their travel to here. Personally, I've got a few things I must take care of in the a.m. and an appt. midday, so I doubt if I'll be able to make it for Friday. We will all be there all weekend.

If you flew this evening, there was certainly NO drop in the wind, right? A cool front blew through this evening; winds had to be blowing 15- 20 mph :) .

We go over the hill, closer to the water for the festival. When the "Jersey Crew" is flying, we fly behind the playground; the space/field closest to the water. There's parking in front of the restrooms, too.

Hope to see you out there.

btw, if you ever plan on coming out for the day, let us know in advance. You can generally count on some of the Jersey Crew joining you (unless we're at another festival, of course ;) ).

Hi ahofer-

I'm not sure if anyone will make it out tomorrow. Folks are getting a later start on their travel to here. Personally, I've got a few things I must take care of in the a.m. and an appt. midday, so I doubt if I'll be able to make it for Friday. We will all be there all weekend.

If you flew this evening, there was certainly NO drop in the wind, right? A cool front blew through this evening; winds had to be blowing 15- 20 mph :) .

We go over the hill, closer to the water for the festival. When the "Jersey Crew" is flying, we fly behind the playground; the space/field closest to the water. There's parking in front of the restrooms, too.

Hope to see you out there.

btw, if you ever plan on coming out for the day, let us know in advance. You can generally count on some of the Jersey Crew joining you (unless we're at another festival, of course ;) ).

Thanks. The playground is much further North than what I thought you meant. Yesterday was beautiful. However, the wind was out of the W/NW so the hill and that little stand of trees near the south lot on Freedom actually made it quite weak down near the ground, but pulling like a horse up high. I'm not very good at keeping the kite still in the air as it is.

I'll be out this afternoon after work with my son (let's hope windalert is wrong), then leaving for Connectitut for the weekend. I might stop by Sunday afternoon on the way back to Princeton. I'll probably go back to my spot out at the South end tonight, especially if the wind is like yesterday. We have a red/white/blue Rev 1.5 and a black/gold rev 1.5B (and a black/blue supersonic if the wind is up)

Thanks. The playground is much further North than what I thought you meant. Yesterday was beautiful. However, the wind was out of the W/NW so the hill and that little stand of trees near the south lot on Freedom actually made it quite weak down near the ground, but pulling like a horse up high. I'm not very good at keeping the kite still in the air as it is.

I'll be out this afternoon after work with my son (let's hope windalert is wrong), then leaving for Connectitut for the weekend. I might stop by Sunday afternoon on the way back to Princeton. I'll probably go back to my spot out at the South end tonight, especially if the wind is like yesterday. We have a red/white/blue Rev 1.5 and a black/gold rev 1.5B (and a black/blue supersonic if the wind is up)

Hello ahofer-

Just to clarify: The playground is where the Jersey Crew generally flies on any given day. The first parking lot to the left to park and go across, etc. is where the festival will be.

If you're there early enough, come on over and say hello and fly with us this Sunday.

Have a great weekend.

It was a pleasure to meet all of you today. Thanks so much for being hospitable to me and my son Jamie. Hopefully you gained some comic relief from us struggling to get the kites up and wading around in our lines.

we met Curtis, Lisa, Rich, Scott, Tim, Jose - well, one more time and I'll get everyone's names down.

I am often out in LSP in the evenings after work, if anyone wants to join. Perhaps I'll start a topic in "places to fly" on LSP, and if people are planning to go there they can post it.

Typically I fly all the way at the Souh end, in the vicinity of the flagpoles and WWII memorial statue. Ocean on both sides, and as much wind as possible in the location. Great views of the Verrazano.

Anyway, thanks again!

Andrew Hofer