Light wind training exercises

I can USPS the DvD to you Mark, but it's not going to be worthy of your time or the expense to return it back to me after a couple of viewings.

Do you really want to watch driving lessons with a steam power automobile?, Even lessons provided from the inventor himself?

I watched the video again this morning and it's a long ways from where we are now with equipment and techniques. There are some basic things outlined, beyond how to install a "light wind kit" that was available from Rev back around 2000 to fit a Rev 1.

Basics of lift, field recovery and walking backwards, rowing & the float for pilot techniques, long throw handles, lighter weight line sets, replacement frames, all spectra bridle & replacement end-caps for equipment modifications.

Background looks like ideal flying conditions to me, a steady breeze, off the water at around 4 mph. Those are not my local low-wind conditions, I can assure you

Joe has metal clips on the bridle points and handle attachment rings,.... with common length leaders (although if you go back far enough in Rev history the top lines were supposed to be longer)

he looks younger too!

DVDs are nice, but not much takes the place of just going out and making it happen! Part of the learning process is figuring out what works (for you) in any wind range! The variety of frames, different sails, weight lines, size of handles, all play into the equation! In the end it's all about what works for YOU! Here on the Rev forum, Kitelife forum, or GWTW forum, you get ideas, but then you have to translate that into info that works for you! Only "time on lines" can do that! Even watching the DVD can only provide you with so much, the rest is up to you!ani_idea.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the offer REVflyer. I called Revolution and Lolly is sending me a copy. I know that going out and doing is the best training... but I thought that the DVD might give me a few hints to keep in mind and maybe cut down the learning curve a little. I am a first year Rev flyer so any help I can get is great. I fly inland in the worst winds so I'm thinking that on those days when there is little to no winds I might be able to fly. (we'll see). Thanks for the input guys, Mark

Hi, kiteflyer -- and welcome to the dark side.

You will have great difficulty flying in zero and very light wind conditions until you learn how to "load the sail", "regain lost ground" and "fly with the kite" (as opposed to the kite flying you or you flying the kite). With only a year under your belt, you are attempting advanced methods. Kudos to you for trying, but don't let the high level of difficulty that you are trying to achieve frustrate you. You might just not have enough time on the lines to make it happen. It will come to you eventually, like a light turning on!

Remember to breathe and keep smiling. Fun is what you need to achieve more than anything else, otherwise it becomes work. Don't let that happen.

Videos help, but are no substitute for experience. Just get out as often as possible and it will happen by itself.

I can give you one exercise to practice recovering your field - take 1 stake and mark your starting point. Go upwind about 30-40' and put in another stake. Try to stay within the stakes, not just keep backing up! Get to the back stake, take the kite to the top, invert, and walk forward as much as you can. If you get back to the first stake - good! If not, take the kite up and do it again! You should, after a bit, find it very easy to stay within the stakes! 1 goal made!! Enjoy the ride!!

• Like 3

on nice grassy field, you can see how far the kite will glide away from you (from the above referenced "inverted position, at the top of the wind window").

Just release the handles entirely with them centered and equa-distant in front of you. The kite will glide back down-wind all by itself and land softly. You just need to be holding the handles to control it as the next step! It's a glide, how steep is how fast you'll reach the ground.

Go to short lines lengths, like an old set of lines cut in half. Things happen faster and the wind window is greatly reduced, but you don't have far to go to take-out all of the slack either.

Take the kite and try to pitch it away from you (3D-throwing) using your opposite hand to balance it in the middle, pushing the kite like a javelin with your index finger. Don't worry about affixing the lines just yet, try to get the "throw" down pat first. The kite should rotate around when thrown towards the opposite wind window corner to leading edge inverted (I'm left handed, I throw towards the right). Both handles are in one hand and your little pinky finger is placed in between (to prevent handle or leader entanglement). The kite has to arc around, not be throw in a straight line, kinda upwards, as well as forward. See you-tube at about 1:08 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQ95sr-axEo, as well as the start.

You can see a "handle release" at the end of this one

~ Bigger wind, 120's,... it probably flew 350 feet forward, ... don't hit anybody!
  • Like 1

There's no substitute for "time on lines"!! Only way to really understand the kite and how it reacts to your inputs is to fly it as often as possible!! Short lines help - you can see how it's reacting to you!! I suggest 30'-50' lines for this, not so short you have no window side to side, but close enough to see how it works!! Plus it's only a short walk if you have to do the "walk of shame" to reset it!! cat_lol.gif

I watched Dave's (REVgod) video many times, it seems long ago now though. it shows a few good examples of how to chase children SAFELY,... that part is worthy of a viewing by itself. He chases kids with a slick technique, kind of a "boxed-In thru rotation" (inverted and over their heads, as they reach left to touch it, it rotates around to their opposite side, just out a reach yet again). It is particularly useful for handicapped individuals bound to a wheelchair or kids too big to be still using a stroller.

Respect: You have to approach your prey slowly and watch the faces carefully for their reactions. If they are okay, you keep getting closer and closer. Geesh, don't hit anybody, know your equipment & skill set. Practice on a fence pole if you have to sharpen your skills. See if you can rest your kite on top of an empty beverage (12 oz can) without knocking it off.

Dave's 3-D video moves are done with the "catch" almost overhead and dropping vertically, kind of old school. It takes longer (and looks cooler) if the catch is done lower in the window, allowing the kite to arc up and then angled back downwards to the flyer. This works well during low-wind times. His kite shop is about the most perfect location you could ever ask for (Huntington Beach, CA) for a flying spot. Man, the winds there are so laminar, low wind is especially exciting because it's still silky smooth! There's always a crowd passing along the seawall to watch your antics too. It's warm weather almost all the time!

Call him, he might find a copy stuck under a box in the back-backroom. I have loaned my copy out and can't recall to whom, or I'd send it along for you.

Received the DVD from Dave today... I had just purchased a 1.5 SUL Phantom from Dave a couple of weeks ago so I called him and asked for the DVD. I think the DVD will be helpful, it has a few good practice maneuvers I can't wait to try. Nothing on low wind flying. I guess that will come later on for me.

The SUL is a good place to start with low winds! Use either a race or 2 wrap frame, 30-50' x 50# lines, and maybe some 15" handles! It''ll work for 3-D stuff too! Go out in less than perfect winds, you'll learn a lot just trying to fly! Then you'll break through and start enjoying those days!!

Enjoy!!