Light wind training exercises

I am looking for some training exercises that we can use as a team (anywhere between 3 & 8 people).

We have some moves we already practice but I am looking to improve static moves control (in wind under 3mph).

Has anyone looked into this already and if so, what worked well?

• 1 month later...

Rev 1.5 SUL will fly easier than a REV 1 for most people in no-wind conditions.  John's a junkie for the REV ones, you can't trust him!

Long throw handles help a bunch, and not just the 13 inchers either!  Really long throws mean less effort.  I have 17 and 19 inch throws, measured across the gap.

Dump all the sleeving and any extra knots you can eliminate from the bridle or frame.  Many of us cover the knots on the back of the sail or add magix sticks to shed a potential tanngle.

If you are so inclined, consider dumping the venting at the leading edge.  You don't need that until at least 3-5 miles per hour.

john's tutorial referenced above will give you tthe techniques to recover your field and enjoy no-wind flying.  I hate the wind, and seldom get any during six months of the year!  I prefer early mornings and dead calm air, everyone can fly in a steady eight off of the ocean.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just fixed the link to my light wind Rev article, see 2nd post in this thread.

Bear in mind, it was written in January of 2005, before the B-Series.

iQuad ironed out the style we use for light wind (and everything else) nearly two years after that article was printed.

I personally think the article is really good. I fly like that no matter what the wind. But I personally think the Rev 1 is easier to fly in 4 or less mph and mine has the 4 wrap frame. Makes me wonder what a 2 wrap would be like.

Dean

P.S. Portland should be the next Clinic.

Thats one thing I've never tried with a Rev1 is ultralight with 2wraps, all my rev 1's have 4 wrap frames with metal ferrules on the LE and vinyl covered metal end caps w/ anchor rope for bridles.

Maybe I should convert one to more up to date standards, while I can fly mine in pretty light wind that looked like much less work then what I have to go through with a heavier frame.

One thing I never understood maybe you know John is why the center V is so much more shallow on the 1 as opposed to the later models, was this to achieve more of the 2 wings feel ??

John, It's the Revolution kites Light wind Technique DVD by Joe Hedzicki (don't know if this is how you spell his last name), dated 1/2000 and it covers bridle change, keep kite moving, surface area, the rev float, drop turns, rowing motion, pumping, light lines and sensitivity.

That's the video that made me buy a 2 wrap Rev I (Sedgwick Series). With that 108" 2 wrap leading edge I am very careful about the winds I fly in. It will bend over into a U in a heart beat. First time I took it out of the package and down to the beach I was amazed that it didn't act like John's in the video. :confused!: Stupid kite. Each time I take it out it does learn more and more so I guess I didn't get one of the pre trained ones and have to teach it. I look forward to a steady 2-3 wind now just so I can head to the beach and train it to act just like the video. :kid_smartass:

i too have the sedwick kite in a 2 wrap and found itto be too flexible .. it is a better kite with a 3 wrap in my opinion .. the larger sail makes up for the stiffer rods..however others might have a diffrent opinion on this kite

i too have the sedwick kite in a 2 wrap and found itto be too flexible .. it is a better kite with a 3 wrap in my opinion .. the larger sail makes up for the stiffer rods..however others might have a diffrent opinion on this kite

All my Rev 1's have the old 4 wraps with metal ferrules and metal end caps :confused!:

I'd love to try a set of 2 wraps for the 2-4 wind range was working my butt off 2 days ago with what I have.

Gotta love this forum somebody posts something about a certain kite and it makes you think Hey! I haven't done that in awhile :kid_smartass:

Gotta love this forum somebody posts something about a certain kite and it makes you think Hey! I haven't done that in awhile kid_smartass.gif

Got to say I'm with you on that one. I bought my Sedgwick on Ebay, supposedly used but I don't reckon it had ever been flown, straight away went and bought a Pro Use frame for it because I wanted it to extend my low end wind range, but I have found it so different to the 1.5 that I have hardly touched it, not because I don't like it, but I'm desperately trying to bring up my skill level with the 1.5 and don't want to be distracted. The Sedgwick is sitting in the bag patiently waiting for the day when I can spare it a few hours to treat it with the respect it deserves.