iQuad in Bogota 2010

KiteLife

One of the hardest venues in the world, fantastic challenge, even better audience. :)

Team 360 at 5:53, finished by 6:13... 20 seconds to get around, 2 antelopes, one possum and a buttercup, moving as one.

JD gets knocked out by hard wind draft at 3:03, does a 360 around the whole team and is back into formation by 3:19... A total of 16 seconds to kick some serious butt, nice work junior! :)

Wow, that looks like a great place to fly. All those Trees nice and close. And those packed stands to funnel the wind.

Looked like a great crowd too.

And folks wandering round with thier kids n stuff.

Not sure who those guys flying the Zens were though. :kid_devlish:

Just thought, bet Felix would have loved this one.

Edited by Baloo

Conditions this year were even harder than last year! At least this year the iQuad boys had real Zens, and not the prototypes they were working with back then...

Y'all looked great out there, and the crowd loved you.

Me, I was torn between wishing I had bothered packing a Zen and having way too much fun with my race-rodded II.

Next year I want to see the mutant do a two kite routine in that stadium.

That 360 by JD was a sheer genius way to repower, get back in line AND impress the crowd without taking down anyone else .... NICE.

From what has been said of the location, I think a team 360 was not negotiable ... it just had to be done.

My Zen is on it's way to SA (probably the first and only Zen in the country for a good while) so I'll soon have a chance to see how she does in low winds. If I fly in the park outside my house I'll get a good sense of bad wind too (switches 180 degrees with turbulance due to the urban environment). When I own that air space I'll be qualified for Bogota cool.gif

Nice job

That 360 by JD was a sheer genius way to repower, get back in line AND impress the crowd without taking down anyone else .... NICE.

From what has been said of the location, I think a team 360 was not negotiable ... it just had to be done.

My Zen is on it's way to SA (probably the first and only Zen in the country for a good while) so I'll soon have a chance to see how she does in low winds. If I fly in the park outside my house I'll get a good sense of bad wind too (switches 180 degrees with turbulance due to the urban environment). When I own that air space I'll be qualified for Bogota cool.gif

Nice job

Right on the money, we were backed up, nowhere to go, wind was gone, had to be done.

As a team, we've practiced the 360, probably done it 40-50 times now, a necessary part of out arsenal for sure.

Right on the money, we were backed up, nowhere to go, wind was gone, had to be done.

As a team, we've practiced the 360, probably done it 40-50 times now, a necessary part of out arsenal for sure.

If you are up against the wall then the 360 is the only way out.

I think that some work should be done on the 'tacking approach' in team which may help avoid getting up against the wall. This involves physically moving 'across' the direction of the notional breeze, switching direction when reaching 'the edge' rather than consistently 'backing up'. Turning up at the edge and recovering ground, does, I think, then allow the whole team to gain ground rather than lose it in marginal conditions. Smooth long arms will help as well! <grins>

I may not be explaining this clearly, but it works for me...

Felix

Perfectly understandable Felix. Move in as shallow as possible angles side to side as opposed to moving strait back.

To see the enviorment in the video I think I'd of been thinking, "this is going to be interesting." kid_frustrated.gif

Great job guys. Willing and able to make it happen no matter what. And great save JD.

Dean

Aye Felix, you'll see that we actually did one tacking sequence not long before the 360... Problem with tacking, it still depends partially on some linear wind direction... In this instance, 90 degree swings in direction and sudden drop outs in pressure were the the order of the day. ;)

Aye Felix, you'll see that we actually did one tacking sequence not long before the 360... Problem with tacking, it still depends partially on some linear wind direction... In this instance, 90 degree swings in direction and sudden drop outs in pressure were the the order of the day. ;)

Feeling the switch at the effective edge is precisely my point! <grins>

Knowing which way to move may be another story...

I have no doubt that you made a best attempt!

Felix

If you are up against the wall then the 360 is the only way out.

I think that some work should be done on the 'tacking approach' in team which may help avoid getting up against the wall. This involves physically moving 'across' the direction of the notional breeze, switching direction when reaching 'the edge' rather than consistently 'backing up'. Turning up at the edge and recovering ground, does, I think, then allow the whole team to gain ground rather than lose it in marginal conditions. Smooth long arms will help as well! <grins>

I may not be explaining this clearly, but it works for me...

Felix

Hi Felix-

Sounds good to me. I'm sure I'll get to see it at WSIKF.

As far as long arms go, for me... not an option. The first time I EVER saw a Rev was at the East Coast Rev Clinic, the end of March 2008. Most of the guys that I initially met were all over 6' tall; and then some. I wondered if this was a sport for tall people... lol! While it does help a great deal, us vertically challanged pilots make it work- somehow!!!!11.gif

What I would like to see is the first routine we did that day when we threw in a perfect team 360.

It was a perfect diagonal formation all the way round.

Bogotá is without doubt the hardest venue I have ever flown in.

I'm sure there are some fairly nasty ones out there but I think it takes some topping.

Wind from three to four directions. Never above 2mph tops and never for more than 40 seconds.

So yes 360's do happen a lot and line gains and part 360's to get back in position.

The hand of god knocks you from the sky.

You can feel air movement but it has no substance or weight.

All of your usual calibration form how it feels on the back of your neck are thrown out he door

What you can't see on any of the videos is that its at 8500 feet with the sun scorching and dehydrating you.

As the routine goes on your lungs start screaming at you and thats before the 360's!

The Zen is your friend.

I don't think there was any of us who didn't give a friendly pat to our kites that day.

So why do it?

Someone once said . "why climb Everest

......because its there"

Will we be going back????????

Hell yeah!

But with much respect and knowledge of of a serious physical arse kicking thats coming your way.

Get out there do the show and try as hard as you can.

Everyone giving 100 percent until you have no more.

You can't ask anymore out of a team mate.

Thats a good day of flying.

Thats a good day for the soul.

Bazzer

Edited by Bazzer