Slidey Foam Grips

Redrocket

Question

Hello,

I have a little problem that I need to correct as soon as possible really – The foam on my handles have both become unstuck and are now sliding on the stainless bar so controlling the kite is now not as accurate as I would like. How do I correct this? Is there a suitable adhesive that doesn't cost the earth?

Thank you

Chris

17 answers to this question

Well I have tryd lots of ways to fix the foam .... best one so far is to get some double sided tape and some washing up liquid ...first decide where you want the foam then a ring of the tape around the top and the bottom (where the foam is going to stop) then I just wound the tape round and round top to bottom ....then take off the the covering of the tape mix your washing up liquid with a little water wet the whole lot with the solution and slip on the foam...wait till it drys and go fly.. simple

This is a great way to fix the problem i guess..........A BIG friend of mine from the UK gave it to me and i must say...it worked great !!!!

And another tip (Allso from the UK !!) :

There are three ways you can do this. Firstly shape the end of the rubber using some sand paper(for DIY) then either:

1, take the tape and wrap a small piece around the handle at the place where the foam will be at the top so that it looks like a ring on the handle. Repeat this down the handle until you get to the end of the grip with gaps of about 20mm between each piece of tape.

or

2. take a strip of tape as long as the grip and put it on the handle in line with the hole on the front of the handle (as if you were holding it) do the same for the back of the grip.

or

3. take a long strip of tape and spiral it down the handle for the length of the grip with a gap of about 10mm between the tape.

The last one is my preferred technique.

Then when you are ready to put the foam on the handle make a solution of 1 part washing up liquid to 9 parts water. Rub a good amount of this liquid onto the tape then quickly push the foam on. (be sure to mark the handle with the position for the grip) I pushed the foam down onto the handle as it gave me a larger area to grip it.

Good luck !!

Edited by Madquad
  • Like 1

Double sided tape.

Remove the foam grip, clean away any glue residue.

Stick double sided tape to the handles, use enough to get even grip over the length of the foam. Make sure the tape is well stuck with no rippling (this is important), smaller pieces of tape but more of them works best.

Stir a good squirt of liquid soap into a small cup of water and leave to settle for a while to allow the majority of the bubbles to burst. Then peel off the backing strip from the tape, dip a finger into the diluted soap and smear it liberally over the exposed tape. The soapy water acts as a lubricant and stops the tape from sticking while the grips are positioned. Once you are happy with the position of the grips leave them to dry and stick overnight.

NB. If there are any ripples between the tape and the handles the soapy water will get under and lift the tape if this happens the best option is to give up, clean up, and start again.

I've always mixed-up two part epoxy, placed a taped barrier (a stopper using several wraps of vinyl electrical tape) on the tube, slathered on lots of adhesive and slipped the foam into place, butted against the tape. When the adhesive dries you can remove the tape. Clean up any excess (while it's still wet!) adhesive with isopropol alcohol and "Q-tip" or wet paper towel, with with the iso, not water!

Works like a charm, drying over night.

Another option is to visit your golf pro shop and talk them out of some of the double sided tape they use for installing golf club grips. I've used the water activated stuff and found it to be very good. The grips go on easily, they stay in place and the installation is not permanent like it is with epoxy.

Cheers,

Tom

I guess my only concern is

why wouldn't you want the foam grips to be stuck in place forever? After the pyramids have fallen down, I 'd still want my grips still locked into the proper position. I'm a flailer, I need it immediately strong and durable over the long term! Do it right the first time and you could pull a tractor out of the ditch without the foam letting go.

How does the factory put 'em onto their metal or carbon? I always thought they used epoxy too, . . .... at least it looks like a little bead of that stuff surrounds my grips.

I pushed the grip to where it should be. Then I pushed a small screwdriver down between the grip and the steel and stretched the grip away from the handle. I then put several drops of superglue down the little space and pulled the screwdriver out. Takes about 10 seconds per handle. That was a year ago. Grips are still in the correct place.

Edited by Jim Foster

I made a set out of alum bar stock and fishing grip handles.I got the grips started on the top down to where I wanted the top of the grip (after drilled the holes and bent the bar) then spread some weldwood contact adhesive around the alum (not to much) and pushed the grips down. Working good so far. If they go bad the grips only cost $1.99 from a fishing supply house in Toledo Oh.

I guess my only concern is

why wouldn't you want the foam grips to be stuck in place forever?

Paul,

You'd never notice any difference between golf club tape and epoxy in use ... remember, golf clubs take a get more twisting and turning than our handles. However, to answer your question, here are a couple of reasons why the semi-permanent method appeals to me.

1) With my first set of Rev handles, I found my self flying with the pointer finger off on the tubing more often than not. Since the Rev grips were epoxied on, I couldn't move them without destroying the foam. Then I made some anodized aluminum handles and experimented around with the location of the foam. To be effective, that experimenting needed a semi-permanent installation method.

2) My first grips were made with EVA foam ... my son loves it, but it feels too slippery for my tastes. Those were installed with epoxy. Instead of simply removing them with a solvent, I had to cutting them off and spend considerable time getting all the epoxy off.

3) A friend of mine purchased some powder coating equipment. We colored one handle set a candy apple red! Great looking handles, except that my friend didn't have the powder coating process down pat ... some of the powder coating is chipping off. No problem though, I'll simply remove the grips and get the rods re-coated as soon as he has the process refined.

Cheers,

Tom

I pushed the grip to where it should be. Then I pushed a small screwdriver down between the grip and the steel and stretched the grip away from the handle. I then put several drops of superglue down the little space and pulled the screwdriver out. Takes about 10 seconds per handle. That was a year ago. Grips are still in the correct place.

But Jim, your handles are only used on sunny afternoons by a gentle grandfatherly flier!!!!

Cheers,

Tom

But Jim, your handles are only used on sunny afternoons by a gentle grandfatherly flier!!!!

Cheers,

Tom

Or in 20-25mph at Pismo Beach or Bodega Bay or Seal Beach. We have been blown off of all of those beaches.

No kidding, the glue trick works very well.

And yes, I am a grandfather. That just seems to happen to us old guys.

post-274-128003080317_thumb.jpg

I used almost an identical procedure as you "except" I used rubber cement. That was back around 1993 or 1994. It is still holding well today.

I've torque'd foam loose several times on my TI handles, always only on one side which is really annoying. Even the epoxy method will let go eventually if you are particularly abusive. I've had to reset one side on no-snags as well, so the age of your equipment really isn't the primary factor either.

If the grips are too slippery you can always soften up the outsides with steel wool too. Pretend they're all dirty and underneath that grime is a white grip. Scrub the handles with sink cleanser and the steel wool under running water. They'll get a nice peach fuzzy feeling and they won't slip around in a sweaty grip (they will naturally gain more grime since the surface is more 3 dimensional now)